Reciprocity

Newcastle Star

We have a reasonable history of cruising and are diamond plus with RCCL and elite with Celebrity and have booked an azamara Perth to Sydney at end of this year and a UK to Sydney July 19

With Sea Princess and I wonder are there any cruise lines who will give loyalty rankings if we wish to try another cruise line

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Newcastle Star

We have a reasonable history of cruising and are diamond plus with RCCL and elite with Celebrity and have booked an azamara Perth to Sydney at end of this year and a UK to Sydney July 19

With Sea Princess and I wonder are there any cruise lines who will give loyalty rankings if we wish to try another cruise line

Hi I believe MSC does

Newcastle Star

if you havent cruised princess you'll be starting off as a newbie on your UK cruise

I can understand reciprocity across brands that are owned by the same parent company but receiving benefits from a competitor defeats the purpose of a loyalty program.

Cafes sometimes have a card that is punched or stamped and your 10th (or whatever number) coffee is free. Would you walk into a rival cafe with a full card and expect to receive a free coffee? Of course not! So why do people expect to receive loyalty benefits from a cruiseline that they’ve never been on before? (These are general comments/questions and are not intended to "flame" the original poster or anyone else. :))

I have observed that loyalty programs tend to foster a sense of entitlement. I (yes, even I) can get upset if someone is gifted the benefits which I feel I have earned by remaining "loyal" to a product or brand. Having cruised almost exclusively with RCI, DW & I are now Diamond members of the C&A Society and have Diamond Plus within our (distant) sights. We would feel it would be unfair if RCI was to offer Diamond status to lure passengers from other lines. It would take away our feeling of being "special" and make the loyalty program fairly worthless. And believe you me, there are many people who feel greatly more entitled than we do and we’ve observed those who seem to just cruise for the loyalty program points. Heaven preserve us from becoming like that! :eek:

I guess the point I’m trying to make (amid or the philosophy and introspection) is that a cruiseline that uses "free" loyalty status to attract passengers from a rival line runs the risk of disenfranchising its "loyal" customers. At the end of the day, surely the purpose of any loyalty program is to increase revenue by encouraging repeat custom. I’m by no means an expert in this field but if I can recall anything from the tiny amount of marketing training I’ve undertaken it's that it’s far easier to keep an existing customer (and get repeat sales) than to get a new customer.

Having said all of that, if I was in a position to take a cruise on MSC, I’d certainly be telling them about my C&A status and asking them to match it!

The impression I get (rightly or wrongly) is that a company that tries to lure new passengers by offering to match their loyalty level with an other cruiseline, must be desperate to get more business. On the other hand, maybe they are not offering much in the way of perks.