NYC Penn station to cruise port. Recent info?

cruisinreunion

Just now, Turtles06 said:

And now you've given away a big secret. . . 🤣

I'm counting on most people ignoring it like they ignore most things on Cruise Critic...

(And I fly enough that I do have a United Club membership...)

1 minute ago, markeb said:

I'm counting on most people ignoring it like they ignore most things on Cruise Critic...

:classic_smile:

BTW,  once you are on a train, how do you get a conductor to call ahead for a red cap  -- just ask when they come around for tickets?  And once you arrive at whatever station, do you just wait on the platform for the red cap, or are they told where you are sitting on the train?

Thanks -- that one is new to me.

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

:classic_smile:

BTW,  once you are on a train, how do you get a conductor to call ahead for a red cap  -- just ask when they come around for tickets?  And once you arrive at whatever station, do you just wait on the platform for the red cap, or are they told where you are sitting on the train?

Thanks -- that one is new to me.

I’ve never done it personally, but I’ve seen people ask. It seems common. And I’ve been in the club when there have been calls for a red cap to meet a train. 

Edited by markeb
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, markeb said:

Are you looking at a NE Regional or the Acela? The configurations are different.

There is an overhead rack on the NE Regional that will hold up to roll-aboard sized carry-ons. There are overhead bins on the Acela that will hold up to probably a 24 inch rolling suitcase (but it's overhead). There are luggage racks typically at both ends of the train, and there's an area theoretically for wheelchairs and the like where people (and Amtrak staff) leave larger luggage.

Amtrak has porters (red caps). If you're a United Club member, traveling first class (Acela), or some level of Amtrak's reward program, you have access to the Acela Club. You can get a red cap there. If you're not, at Union Station, right across from the information booth, there's a red cap area. The red caps will assist you with your luggage, and usually get you on the train early. They're salaried, but tip them. For the luggage you're describing, probably $10.

The conductor on your train can call ahead for red cap service at Penn Station.

Coming back, there's an Amtrak waiting area in Penn Station and you can request a red cap there. ALWAYS request a red cap at Penn Station. The red cap will know your track 5-10 minutes before it's announced. You'll be on the train in all probability before the mad scramble begins in the lobby...

I really don't know anything about train travel. We just thought we might take a train (one way) instead of flying (we are planning to fly back from London to Dulles). What is the difference between a NE Regional or the Acela?

22 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

There should be a place at the end of most cars where you can place your large luggage.   Do keep an eye on it.   (You might even bring a cable lock to lock your bags together.) There's also an overhead rack.  

Red caps are porters.  You tip them for their service (well worth it).  

Thanks for the information and the heads up about watching our luggage.

15 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

I really don't know anything about train travel. We just thought we might take a train (one way) instead of flying (we are planning to fly back from London to Dulles). What is the difference between a NE Regional or the Acela?

Where are you in Virginia? That's probably the first question. If you're going to travel out of Union Station, both are options. South of DC, really only the NE Regional.

The Northeast Regional is more or less the standard train from Richmond to Boston. From Union Station in DC to New York Penn Station figure about 3 1/2 hours, plus or minus. The trains are comfortable, but kind of old. If you buy early, you can get a one way ticket for as little as $49 per person each way.

The Acela is the "high speed" Amtrak train. It may or may not travel faster, but it has much fewer stops. From DC, you're typically looking at BWI, Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Newark, and New York. It's about a 2:45 to 3:00 hour trip. The cheapest ticket you'll find, off peak, etc., is going to be around $135 per person (to save 30 minutes...).  I do Acela for close end purchases, usually by myself. NE Regional is fine for 90%+ of non-business (reimbursable) travel.

The Acela trains are newer, and feel more modern; the NE Regionals are older, adequate, and significantly cheaper with advanced purchae.

Edited by markeb

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

Where are you in Virginia? That's probably the first question. If you're going to travel out of Union Station, both are options. South of DC, really only the NE Regional.

The Northeast Regional is more or less the standard train from Richmond to Boston. From Union Station in DC to New York Penn Station figure about 3 1/2 hours, plus or minus. The trains are comfortable, but kind of old. If you buy early, you can get a one way ticket for as little as $49 per person each way.

The Acela is the "high speed" Amtrak train. It may or may not travel faster, but it has much fewer stops. From DC, you're typically looking at BWI, Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Newark, and New York. It's about a 2:45 to 3:00 hour trip. The cheapest ticket you'll find, off peak, etc., is going to be around $135 per person (to save 30 minutes...).  I do Acela for close end purchases, usually by myself. NE Regional is find for 90%+ of non-business (reimbursable) travel.

The Acela trains are newer, and feel more modern; the NE Regionals are older, adequate, and significantly cheaper with advanced purchae.

Northwest VA (Winchester). Sounds like we want Northeast Regional. I'm not sure how much it costs to fly from Dulles to NY but it's  probably/hopefully not much more than the Acela.

I’ve been very happy on the NE regional.  The seats are comfortable and are like getting the exit row seats on an airplane.  Electrical outlets and WiFi are a huge plus.  Acela was my only option this past Feb and I didn’t think it was at all worth the extra price.  Business class was full of people talking business on their cell phone and working on their laptops.  NE regional was much quieter with folks relaxing and self-amusing under their headphones.

3 minutes ago, 138east said:

Acela was my only option this past Feb and I didn’t think it was at all worth the extra price.  Business class was full of people talking business on their cell phone and working on their laptops.  NE regional was much quieter with folks relaxing and self-amusing under their headphones.

I think it’s critical to be in the Quiet Car on the Acela. 

Is there a Quiet Car on the NE Regional? 

3 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

Northwest VA (Winchester). Sounds like we want Northeast Regional. I'm not sure how much it costs to fly from Dulles to NY but it's  probably/hopefully not much more than the Acela.

I'd probably go NE Regional. It's really a matter of where you want to travel from. I don't see NE Regional Trains from Winchester; the closest looks like Harpers Ferry, and that doesn't gain you much. The best routes are from Union Station, but you have to get there from Winchester. The good news is once you're in New York, you're only blocks from the cruise terminal, and Midtown hotels. The bad news is you may end up driving into DC the night before...

There are options from Alexandria, Manassas, or Woodbridge, but there are fewer options than Union Station. Flying from Dulles means traveling back into Manhattan by cab or car service. We're south on 95, so Union Station works really well for us. Your calculus will be more complicated...

Just now, Turtles06 said:

I think it’s critical to be in the Quiet Car on the Acela. 

Is there a Quiet Car on the NE Regional? 

Absolutely!  The only place we ride! (Acela or NE Regional.)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, markeb said:

I'd probably go NE Regional. It's really a matter of where you want to travel from. I don't see NE Regional Trains from Winchester; the closest looks like Harpers Ferry, and that doesn't gain you much. The best routes are from Union Station, but you have to get there from Winchester. The good news is once you're in New York, you're only blocks from the cruise terminal, and Midtown hotels. The bad news is you may end up driving into DC the night before...

There are options from Alexandria, Manassas, or Woodbridge, but there are fewer options than Union Station. Flying from Dulles means traveling back into Manhattan by cab or car service. We're south on 95, so Union Station works really well for us. Your calculus will be more complicated...

We were planning to have a car service drive us into DC the morning of the train ride. We are coming in to NY the day before the cruise.

OK. That mostly makes sense. The train is more relaxing than the flight, and you're right there. Winchester to Union Station is a little more effort, but I can handle that.

23 hours ago, markeb said:

OK. That mostly makes sense. The train is more relaxing than the flight, and you're right there. Winchester to Union Station is a little more effort, but I can handle that.

Harpers Ferry sounds better but I'm guessing that it's not as direct as DC, maybe you have to change trains somewhere?

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 10:53 PM, markeb said:

Are you looking at a NE Regional or the Acela? The configurations are different.

There is an overhead rack on the NE Regional that will hold up to roll-aboard sized carry-ons. There are overhead bins on the Acela that will hold up to probably a 24 inch rolling suitcase (but it's overhead). There are luggage racks typically at both ends of the train, and there's an area theoretically for wheelchairs and the like where people (and Amtrak staff) leave larger luggage.

Amtrak has porters (red caps). If you're a United Club member, traveling first class (Acela), or some level of Amtrak's reward program, you have access to the Acela Club. You can get a red cap there. If you're not, at Union Station, right across from the information booth, there's a red cap area. The red caps will assist you with your luggage, and usually get you on the train early. They're salaried, but tip them. For the luggage you're describing, probably $10.

The conductor on your train can call ahead for red cap service at Penn Station.

Coming back, there's an Amtrak waiting area in Penn Station and you can request a red cap there. ALWAYS request a red cap at Penn Station. The red cap will know your track 5-10 minutes before it's announced. You'll be on the train in all probability before the mad scramble begins in the lobby...

Does anyone take the train from Penn Station home. Trying to figure out if its possible to

take a 11:30am train south when we are arriving in Brooklyn on Cunard.

6 hours ago, kruzlvr said:

Does anyone take the train from Penn Station home. Trying to figure out if its possible to

take a 11:30am train south when we are arriving in Brooklyn on Cunard.

First, a posting tip.  It's not necessary (and in fact inadvisable, given the space it takes up, especially for those reading on mobile devices) to quote a post, especially a long one, that has nothing to do with your comment/questions.

In terms of your questions:  of course there are folks who take trains from Penn Station home after a cruise.   🙂

As to whether it's "possible" to make a train at that time from Penn Station when your ship will be docking in Red Hook, it would be helpful for you to post the scheduled time of your ship's arrival in Brooklyn, the day of the week, and whether you will be able to handle your own luggage (e.g, for an early walk-off the ship, possibly taking the ferry into Manhattan, etc.).     

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1