A Princess Cays Mystery!

caribbean2000

JunkieofER-Ill be on the same cruise as you. I have wanted to see the grave site since I saw this thread. It goes back to 2005 . maybe I'll see you on the trek over to the graves. I'm a part of doubletree07 group.

Awesome! At the meet and greet on board the CB we could set up a field trip! ;)

I am so happy to see this thread again. It's one of very few that I remember and think of often. I have yet to make it to PC. The 2 times my ship was supposed to go there, the seas were not friendly. Someday. I'm also thrilled to spend hours in a cemetery, noting different and interesting stones, and yes, even making up stories about the deceased. I used to do stone rubbings, but now my cell phone camera is my main memory maker.

My favorite cemetery is the one in Halifax, where the victims of the Titanic are buried.

Maureen

When I was there 3 weeks ago, there was only one headstone and some evidence of another grave. If there are more graves there, they are not obvious. My impression is that this is a small family cemetery.

Perhaps the Ancestry.com thread is talking about some other cemetery on Eleuthera?

When I was there 3 weeks ago, there was only one headstone and some evidence of another grave. If there are more graves there, they are not obvious. My impression is that this is a small family cemetery.

Perhaps the Ancestry.com thread is talking about some other cemetery on Eleuthera?

They could be talking about another cemetery. I guess the beach has changed a lot since the grave were put there. The fourth post on Ancestry talks about in McPhee Town, Exuma . That name was on one of the grave on Princess Cay. Don't know if it means anything.

Edited by geocruiser

• 2 months later...

I am the person who posted this originally. Very interesting to see that people are still fascinated by the graves. I visited them a couple years ago and probably will walk down there again in January - sad to hear that one of the headstones is gone. The last time I was there it was almost impossible to read the names. Also, thanks to the person who posted the link to the ancestry site, that is at least a start. I still think there may be the makings of a great novel here - any writers out there? Pretty cool place to do your research, in any case!

Gene

Thank you Gene for this tremendously interesting thread! It has to be one of the most fascinating threads yet.

I totally agree about the mystery novel - It would be a great location and starting point for a delightful novel. I can see it all now in my mind... :)

• 3 months later...

I have followed this thread for years and I love seeing all the updates. I wonder if the second headstone is just buried in the sand now in front of the grave site. I seem to remember it had just fallen off and laying in the sand in front of the grave. Would it be disrespectful to move some of the sand in front of the grave to see if the headstone is just below the surface and set it back on top? Just wondering if that would be disrespectful? seems like so many would love to preserve the graves.

• 6 months later...

It's been many cruises since we have done the Eastern Caribbean and visited Princess Cays. I've stayed subscribed to this thread waiting for the time we get back there. We just booked a trip for spring break in 2016 that will allow for me to visit the old graves and hopefully its not too hot that day to keep going to the pink sand beach. I can't wait for April.

• 4 weeks later...

my bff just booked a 4 day on Emerald, what a surprise I will get to revisit the island ! I've been there by plane but the one time we went by ship we had to skip the stop from wind. I think its been 2 years since I've checked this thread so can't wait to see whats been going on.

• 1 month later...
Was there a cemetery there in the past on the beach? Of course the land has changed over the year and the grave might have been more in land than today.

There is/was a Rock Sound Public Cemetery, but I can't any info. Still looking.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm the tour operator for Eleuthera Tours... I am also a cruiser... and I know about wanting to see beyond the fakey cruise ship port... So let me tell you about all your offerrings (since I live here and know).

The directions to the grave yard are great. To get you started, go north from the cruise ship port... you'll find a nice beach here with quite a few shells, sand dollars, sea urchin shells, sea biscuits... When you see the paved road along the beach, the graves are just a little further north along that road.

If you want to see some of the village (we call them settlements) of Bannerman Town, walk out the main road. You'll come to a wishing well. Go left. This road goes for maybe a 1/2 mile. You'll see some houses. At a little park, the road goes right. There are some more houses here. This road goes maybe 1/4 mile and then you go left or right... but there is nothing more to see for a long ways, so you might as well turn around. There are no restaurants, stores... There is Bullard's liquors.. but he's probably closed because he's out at Princess Cays at one of the stalls (George's Arts & Crafts). Oh, and if you go straight along the dirt road next to the park, it will drop you off at the beach near the graveyard... you could make a loop seeing the beach and the settlement.

If you want to see the ruins of an old church... turn right at the wishing well. Maybe 1/4+ mile down, past the pond, you'll see the church.

If you want to see Lighthouse Beach by foot (3 miles down a HOT dirt rough buggy dirt road through nothingness) - it can be done. Turn right at the wishing well. The 2nd dirt road to your left goes out to Lighthouse Beach. When you come to the T in the bad road, go right (there's a sign). Just remember... if you walk out there, you have to walk back. Wear good shoes and bring drinks.

Occassionally there is a taxi at the port, but you can't depend upon it. Sometimes there's an independent tour operator, (Lyle with Pineapple Tours), who can take you sightseeing through other settlements. There's our company (Eleuthera Tours- who you have to book iin advance, we're not allowed to wait outside and solicit - and we do trips to Lighthouse Beach with full lunch, drinks and snorkel gear). And there's the Taste of Eleuthera tour offerred by Princess. And, recently Princess has offered dune buggy trips out to Lighthouse. You only get about 15 minutes at the beach, but you get to see the settlement and the church and the beach...

That's the whole of it. Eleuthera is a gorgeous island. Whether you stay at the local beach with your fellow cruisers or venture beyond - it's up to you. I'm the type that likes to venture beyond... but the offerings are slim. Regardless, enjoy your visit!!!

Edited by Kristelsea

OK, I'm the tour operator for Eleuthera Tours... I am also a cruiser... and I know about wanting to see beyond the fakey cruise ship port... So let me tell you about all your offerrings (since I live here and know).

The directions to the grave yard are great. To get you started, go north from the cruise ship port... you'll find a nice beach here with quite a few shells, sand dollars, sea urchin shells, sea biscuits... When you see the paved road along the beach, the graves are just a little further north along that road.

If you want to see some of the village (we call them settlements) of Bannerman Town, walk out the main road. You'll come to a wishing well. Go left. This road goes for maybe a 1/2 mile. You'll see some houses. At a little park, the road goes right. There are some more houses here. This road goes maybe 1/4 mile and then you go left or right... but there is nothing more to see for a long ways, so you might as well turn around. There are no restaurants, stores... There is Bullard's liquors.. but he's probably closed because he's out at Princess Cays at one of the stalls (George's Arts & Crafts). Oh, and if you go straight along the dirt road next to the park, it will drop you off at the beach near the graveyard... you could make a loop seeing the beach and the settlement.

If you want to see the ruins of an old church... turn right at the wishing well. Maybe 1/4+ mile down, past the pond, you'll see the church.

If you want to see Lighthouse Beach by foot (3 miles down a HOT dirt rough buggy dirt road through nothingness) - it can be done. Turn right at the wishing well. The 2nd dirt road to your left goes out to Lighthouse Beach. When you come to the T in the bad road, go right (there's a sign). Just remember... if you walk out there, you have to walk back. Wear good shoes and bring drinks.

Occassionally there is a taxi at the port, but you can't depend upon it. Sometimes there's an independent tour operator, (Lyle with Pineapple Tours), who can take you sightseeing through other settlements. There's our company (Eleuthera Tours- who you have to book iin advance, we're not allowed to wait outside and solicit - and we do trips to Lighthouse Beach with full lunch, drinks and snorkel gear). And there's the Taste of Eleuthera tour offerred by Princess. And, recently Princess has offered dune buggy trips out to Lighthouse. You only get about 15 minutes at the beach, but you get to see the settlement and the church and the beach...

That's the whole of it. Eleuthera is a gorgeous island. Whether you stay at the local beach with your fellow cruisers or venture beyond - it's up to you. I'm the type that likes to venture beyond... but the offerings are slim. Regardless, enjoy your visit!!!

Thank you soo much for posting !!! I'm a "Roberts-Sands" from Rock Sound can you email me at 4everafteronCC@gmail.com - we will be there in about 26 days, I think Mon the 23rd. I stayed at the cape a few years ago and drove south but I gave up too soon and I didn't make it to the point. I made it to the place that sells sandwiches (?) maybe it was the liquor store , without gps it's hard to know where you are

• 3 months later...

September 1945

Richard Mcphee stood aboard the deck of the small run down vessel as it carried he and his wife Olga toward what would be a new beginning on the small island of Eleuthera. This ship wasn't as grand as the ocen liners before the war. All of the great liners were pushed into service by the worlds navies as troop transports. Many were still in these rolls and those that were not were still being refitted to return to passenger service. On Eleuthera they hoped they could find peace in a world that had until only recently been ravaged with war.

The war had been costly to both of their families. While Richard was serving in the Navy in the Pacific his two brothers were killed while fighting in Europe causing their father to take to the bottle and eventually lose the families farm. His wife had seen even worse tribulations. Her father and 3 brothers all joined the Army after Pearl Harbor, all were lost. Her mother fraught with grief committed suicide leaving the care of Olga's youngest sister in Olga's charge.

Olga's sister a pretty 17 year old by the name of Myrtle didn't want to leave their home in Seward, Nebraska. She would have preferred to stay were she knew everyone instead of going to a tiny island she had never her of that sound like the thing you peed out of.

Ok, I had better get back to work hopefully more to come later.

• 6 months later...

Hi fellow cruisers. A couple years ago, we took a walk on princess cay, and we found a cemetery that had a few graves in a walled off area. Facing the island, walk left, past the private cabanas, and keep walking the dirt road. After about 40 minutes, we came upon this grave site. I never took the trek south, but next time we will walk that way to see the 2 ladies. We leave in January of 17, and will look forward to our 14th visit to princess cay.

Anyone else seen the site im talking about? Please share if you have.

What a great thread!!!!!!

Be well my fellow travelers.