When Do You Start Planning What to Pack and Packing?

kmtjones803

DH and I will be bringing our Toddler (she'll be 16 mos) on the Conquest in Feb. For her I have already been finding clothes from this previous summer on sale and have been stocking up on them.

So, Q#1-When do you start making packing lists, and planning

Q#2-When do you actually get your bags packed?

Miranda

1. I have a list that I tweak that is on my computer. So, the answer to THIS question is: 5 years ago.:D

2. I will get the bags out about 4 weeks :D before the cruise to start putting things into them. I get so excited about the cruise, that I can't wait!

Like Sheffie, we also have a master list on the computer that we add to / subtract from depending on how long we're gone and where we're going. But I start finalizing the list about 3-4 weeks before we leave (although I'm playing around with it a few months beforehand!!).

Packing... I got our bags out about 3 weeks ago, and have been adding bits and pieces here and there. As soon as the list is printed, the bags go out and things get added. We're lucky because we have a spare bedroom that we don't use where we can lay all this stuff out. As of last night, DH and I are both packed, and we leave on Sunday for a week with my in-laws and then an 11 night cruise. I was more concerned about not forgetting anything since we're gone for 3 weeks, and I feel better knowing everything's done so we can relax and enjoy Christmas Eve and morning.

With a 16 mo old, it's probably more complicated since she's growing and packing ahead of time is hard since she might be in a different size by then!! But then again, packing for a cruise before Christmas that happens after is complicated, since I never know if I'll need by "skinny" clothes or my "not-so-skinny" clothes on the ship!!! :D:D:D

For me, packing is part of the trip!! For my DH, it's a necessary evil.

Oh, and I'm not sure where you're from, but for us, Caribbean cruising in winter is easy to pack for since we live in Canada and it's freezing up here... meaning our summer stuff is just taking up space, anyway.

Prior to Katrina, I had a "vacation drawer" in my bureau in a spare bedroom. I added to it during the year, various little things I might need on vacations. As far as when I packed, usually a few days before the cruise, I started putting things in the luggage.

We cruise and travel several times a year so we are either just getting home from a trip or preparing for the next one. One of our spare bedrooms has become a 'staging area' for vacations. Like several others have mentioned, I have a packing list on the computer-4 pages long. I usually start 5-6 weeks before departure date with things like bathroom and medical supplies. Then comes the miscellaneous list. About 3-4 weeks ahead I start with the ironing, nothing we wear on a daily basis requires ironing so it is all done right before a trip. Most of those clothes are stored in the closet of the 'staging' bedroom and are only sorted and ironed just prior to the trip. Usually have the bags sitting by the front door a week or two before we leave. Hate to wait for the last minute to do anything. And, I am so anxious to leave on the trip that I could not stand to wait.

keep on cruising,

Robb

We start planning what to pack the moment we actually book or before.

The luggage comes out about a week prior to the trip. We actually finish packing the day before we leave - all of the last minute things go in on travel day, and off we go.

A couple of hints. We do try to color coordinate clothing so that we can wear an item more than once - such as pants, or blazers. Switching about with other pieces of clothing makes it seem as though you have a new outfit.

We only bring three pair of shoes as they are heavy, and take up way too much space. We take those on our feet, a dressy pair, and a more casual pair. This is when the color coordination comes in handy.

We do limit the amount of luggage which we will take. One large piece for his/hers things, just in case one of our smaller pieces of luggage gets delayed somewhere. One mid size piece for each, plus a carry on for each.

A great purse is a necessity for me. I love one with many compartments, but not too large.

Good luck, and Happy Cruising To You.

We have about 2 months to go! We usually each take a suitcase (I get the biggest one LOL) I am a flip flop fanatic, so my "shoes" don't take up too much room ;)

I am bringing the babies stuff in a carry on bag (the one Bath and Body works sells! Its gorgeous and perfect for filling with small infant clothes) I can't chance a suitcase full of diapers, toddler food, and clothes being lost or late, so I am carrying her bag and my makeup bag. I wll most likely have her in a stroller, so I am putting a whole package of diapers and wipes in teh basket on the bottom.

I also carry a small travel fan for the noise...I can't sleep without it!

Thanks for all the other ideas...

I keep 2 computer lists - one for clothing and one for medicines (DH takes a lot of medications). About a month before we cruise, I update both lists in case there have been any changes.

About a week before we leave, I run off the lists and make certain all medications are filled.

Five days before we leave the suitcases come out of the attic to make certain they are in good shape and don't need to be replaced. Two days before we leave - we pack.

Having lists and knowing what goes in each suitcase saves a lot of time.

Archived