What have your teenage boys worn to dinner??

My 13 year old nephew wore jeans and tee shirt on casual nights. On formal nights he had khakis or dress slacks with a polo or button up. No tie or jacket. I don’t think anyone expects teenagers to go all out.

Really, even if he wore jeans on formal night it would be fine and wouldn’t look out of place. They don’t enforce a dress code.

We have been on one other cruise, but our son was nine then. He'll be 14 on our cruise this summer. He is definitely not one for dressing up, so the fanciest thing he owns right now is jeans. How dressed up do they expect teenager to get?

I like to adhere to the rules so my boys wear khakis and collared shirts. There’s always some occasion that will come along in high school to dress up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So jeans and a nice shirt would be ok? I thought about getting him a pair of khakis that he can wear on the formal nights.

Either one is fine, and he'll be better dressed than half the dinner crowd. Don't mind the "if you're not in a shirt and tie, you're ruining MY experience" folks.

elegant or formal night? My 14YO son wore a tux. He wasn't happy about it but I told either he makes mom happy or he stays with Grandma. He wore the tux.

After the reception he got from the young ladies, he reminded me before our next cruise that we needed to get fitted.

On regular nights at the MDR, he wore dockers and a polo.

If he decided he wanted to eat with friends in the buffett, he wore jeans, or shorts, or whatever.

Our boys wore nice khakis and polos or button downs without a tie (think American Eagle shirts, untucked) on casual nights, dress pants and ties on "formal" nights. They needed these things for school any how and really don't mind dressing up a bit for dinner. I second that the girls taking a double look didn't hurt a bit. As dad and grandpa would be dressed the same they didn't mind. After dinner they ran back to their rooms and got into whatever the evening called for.

My boys were suit and ties on formal nights and khakis with polo shirts on casual nights. The first night we let them wear shorts. It's the only time they dress up and the only time we get portraits of all of us and them together. We're not one for going to the local portrait studio so we use the cruise photos around our house.

Our 12-year-old boys wore shorts or jeans on casual nights. Khaki pants and polo shirts on formal nights. That worked perfectly fine. There are thousands of people going to those dinners wearing everything from shorts to tuxedos. No one will care or know the difference what your boys wear. Have him wear whatever he is comfortable in.