What is wrong with me? How do others do it?

PekingeseLady

. For us there is no badge of honor taking less.

Quite right. Do what you want, the only person who has to deal with the consequences is you :)

Although...

I always take about 5 or 6 pair of heels, pool shoes, day walking shoes, slippers

Yikes. I don't know we take that many pairs of shoes between all 4 of us :) On our last trip (6 weeks through the Canadian Rockies, Alaska cruise and inland, Disneyland) I brought good pair of sturdy walking boots, a pair of leather work shoes and a pair of thongs. My wife had boots, sneakers, flats and thongs, and the kids each had a pair of sneakers and thongs.

But we did bring back 3-4 suitcases full of Disney souvenirs, boardgames, scrapbooking supplies etc.. So we all have our literal weights to bear :)

We were sitting in our designated area just last Sunday on the Regal. Between my husband and I, we had two large suitcases, two carry-on suitcases, and I had a tote bag. I was looking around the room and was amazed at how little luggage some people brought (we were all walk offs, so everybody had to carry everything off). We drove to Port Everglades this time, so luggage weight didn't matter. I mentioned the laundry facilities to my husband, and he said "why would we want to do that??" So, we will continue to travel heavy, I'm sure!

I sure enjoyed reading everyone’s post.

I know over the years I wondered why they heck can’t I be a minimalist? When I was a teen I can remember a tubing trip (sliding down a snow covered hill on an tire tube) that ended with me being recognized at having the most stuff. I also remember that I had dry clothes and warm feet on the 2 hour bus trip home. Also no one went with out something to munch on as I brought apples for everyone. Well I still take extras when we go as you never know what will happen.

I use packing cubes to organize and find they help in keeping things rolled. Rolling definitely helps in reducing space, just as any one that is in the military are they are taught to roll socks, tee shirts and underwear. Like others, I leave things that do not get hung up in the packing cubes. I try and pack all the hang ups in one packing cube and use the empty cube to pack my dirty clothes in as I have used them so that everything is basically packed together that will need to get washed when We get home.

I know that no matter what I will never be able to back a week’s worth of clothes in a carry on. The simplest reason is I am a plug size and the amount to space my pants take up is double what that skinny mini’s pants take up. As soon as I realized this as a big difference, I stopped worrying about trying to get everything in a carry-on and just making sure I have enough to for the number of days plus one day for 7 day or shorter trips, longer trips I pack for 2 extra days. If we will be doing laundry, I divide by the number of times we will be doing laundry and the add the extra days. Doing this was helped to reduce what I take and the weight of the suitcase is now always under the the 50 pound limit by at least 8 pounds.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me and DH take one big one a piece. And one carry on for soda and certain things that I would not leave in the suit case. But we live fairly close so we can take the train since it is only two hours away. But you can leave some stuff behind if you like shopping for new clothes. That way you start out light.

We were sitting in our designated area just last Sunday on the Regal. Between my husband and I, we had two large suitcases, two carry-on suitcases, and I had a tote bag. I was looking around the room and was amazed at how little luggage some people brought (we were all walk offs, so everybody had to carry everything off). We drove to Port Everglades this time, so luggage weight didn't matter. I mentioned the laundry facilities to my husband, and he said "why would we want to do that??" So, we will continue to travel heavy, I'm sure!

I'll bet you didn't use half of what you packed.

2-26's, 1 carry on plus 2-personal bags for under seat for us. Never any less sometimes more. If we left all computer stuff, camera stuff, shoes and makeup we could be down to 1-26'r and 1 carry on, maybe less.

framer