Carnival Legend out of NYC Info

Mark

To those CC members who have sailed the Legend out of NYC to the Eastern Carribean, please let me know your honest and candid opinions of the cruise. I have booked the Legend for May 28, 2006 since it seemed liked a good deal and am a bit concerned about all of the negative info I have seen about the Legend for such things as:

Crew never smiles is unfriendly and unhelpful

Mattresses should have been replaced a couple of years ago

Captain does not use stabilizers since it reduces speed and fuel economy

Entertainment was lousy and not enough activities

Legend is not a good ship and is not in great condition

Ports are lousy and at sea days have little or no activities

Food is just OK

Emabarkation is a disaster

Debarkation is a disaster

I must tell you that I have sailed on several Carnival Cruises before but have 10+ on RCCL and 8+ on NCL so I know a few things about cruises

Please post your honest and candid experiences with Legend out of NYC during the summer of 2005

Thanks

Mark:cool:

My family and I sailed on the Legend out of NY last May to the Eastern Caribbean. We had a great time.

Embarkation was not that bad for us. The worst part was driving to the port as it was Fleet Week and traffic was terrible. Once we were in the terminal, it took us maybe an hour to get on board. Not too bad. Debarkation was fine as well.

As for your other points, the crew was extrememly friendly, the ship barely moved it was so smooth, and the ship was spotless. I did think the Carnival Conquest was prettier and more grand, but the Legend was pretty enough. The food was as good, if not better, than the Conquest. The broadway-style shows were good, but I did not get to see the comedians because we had our kids with us. Never noticed the mattresses, so I guess that means I they were fine to me.

As for the ports, I would agree that San Juan was a bit problematic because you get there so late in the afternoon. We went to the fort for a little while, and then returned to the ship. Although it was interesting to see the architecture of San Juan, it was somewhat of a wasted port.

In St. Thomas we took the excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John. Although the beach was absolutely gorgeous, the travel time there was way too long. We had no time to enjoy it. I would recommend staying on St. Thomas instead.

We had a wonderful time in Tortola. We took the excursion to the Virgin Gorda Baths. It was stunning and a blast to explore. I would highly recommend it.

If we were not limited by having our young children with us, I think we would have had a lot more choices for the excursions. So to conclude I think San Juan is a bit of a letdown, but St. Thomas and Tortola are great. I personally love sea days, and we layed out, went to the art auction, got massages, exercised, ate. We were never bored.

I really don't see how someone could have a bad time on this ship. I have also sailed on the Carnival Conquest and the Disney Wonder. I have never sailed on RCL or NCL so I can't compare them to Carnival. I would think the Legend may be a bit of a letdown from the Voyager class ships as far as activities and grandeur, but a great value for the money.

Hope this helps.

I did the Legend 2x from NYC, and both were great. Crew was great, food was wonderful, ports were fantastic, shows were excellent and Carnival just changed ALL there beds, to all ships, and the Legend was and is in excellent condition. Sailed on her when she turned 1 yr old and again when she turned 2 yrs old, and at 2 yrs old she was in great shape. She came out of drydock last May, so she will be like if she was 1 yr old when u sail. As for the stablizers, I have sailed from NYC 4 times, all bad water. NYC goes into the North Atlantic and The North Atlantic is known for bad waters, So heads up regardless of the stablizers, First time on Legend we were out running a hurricane, so Stablizers made no difference next to a hurricane, and the second we had excellent seas except for one day we hit a cold front. Dont worry, The Legend is a great ship. By far in my opinion the best class of ships in the fleet. We did the 8 day leg both times, and would do it again.

We've been on the LEGEND out of NY 3 times and had a great time!

May should be a hurricane-free time to go.

Boarding is at 1:00 but last year we got there at 11 and we were on the ship eating our first buffet at 12.

The food was great, rooms were great...the only thing that seemed worn down last summer was the back of the seats on the Follis Lounge but if you look around you see everyone putting their feet up during bingo and other activities.

The 2 times we were at San Juan it was DOWNPOURING. We took a cab to the mall for a few hours until the rain stopped and then walked around Old San Juan for a few hours afterwards. At St. Thomas we shopped in the morning at Charlotte Amaile, went back to the ship for lunch and then went to Magens Bay one time and the other 2 times went to Coki beach (we thought this was a much better beach)Click here: Coral World Ocean Park, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands, Coki Beach You can get open air van right from the ship. The fish are as big as your hand there. Don't forget to take dog biscuits from home to feed them.

At Tortola we just took an open air van to Cane Gardens Bay. I do not recommend walking into town in Tortola even though the herb store is nice and the shopping huts if you walk to the left after you get off the ship and stay on the side of the water.

ENJOY! I know you will have a great trip! Click here: Carnival Legend

This year we booked our first Royal Caribbean.

You will love the Legend!!! We sailed to the Eastern Caribbean this past May on her and it was great! We had a balcony room on Deck 8...room was perfect and they gave us an entire basket of all type of grooming products in the bathroom (toothbrushes, razors, lotions, etc) which was totally unexpected..

The crew was outstanding...I didn't see anyone working on the ship the entire 8 days that did not greet me with a smile and a hello. We had fantastic waiters in the dining room. Buffet food was excellent and had the best selection for foods..

The part I loved the best was the adult's only pool area... It was all the way on top in the very back of the ship.. We would get chairs all the way in the back so that we could just lay there looking at the wake...Fantastic!!

I agree that there was very little to do in San Juan..we toured the fort and went to Senor Frog's for a bite to eat.. St. Thomas was beautiful. We did the Godfreys Tour (booked separately online at $20 a person) which was 2 hours of shopping downtown, 2 hours touring the island and 2 hours at a beach (we went to Sapphire Beach....beautiful!) Tortola was also beautiful. Took and open air bus to Cane Garden Bay .... Loved it! Was better than Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas but both were excellent.

The shows were very good... At the time I was a little bored (sometimes I find them too long) but we just were on the Voyager on the Seas in October and those show were TERRIBLE!! Compared to that, the Legend shows were very good..

We are going back to the Eastern Caribbean in March but this time on NCL Dawn. I would definately take the same Legend cruise again in a heartbeat!! You will not regret it!! Have a wonderful time!

I was reading the reviews posted on the cruise critic board by members who sailed and submitted a review

Were they NY cruises or Fl. cruises? I'll have to check it out. No one knocks my Legend!

Many more high marks than low. Overall = 4.5/6.

And one poor review from our friend kewlguy

I have booked the Legend for May 28, 2006 since it seemed liked a good deal and am a bit concerned about all of the negative info I have seen about the Legend for such things as:

Food is just OK

Please post your honest and candid experiences with Legend out of NYC during the summer of 2005

We have cruised twice on the Legend with the same itinerary, with the most recent this past May and absolutely loved it. The crew is very friendly, helpful and very professional. The beds were comfortable, the ride smooth, the food is fantastic. The buffet area at lunch is the best of all ships we've been on; the pizza and deli station are great. The filet mignon and lobster tail on the Legend put the same meals to shame on X-Zenith. We prefer the production shows on the Legend to either NCL or X shows.

Embarkation/disembarkation is identical to any ship out of NYC. If you're prepared and know what to expect it's not so bad.

San Juan is not our most favorite port but the city tour/fort excursion is good. We would just walk around Old San Juan on our own on the following two times there. St. Thomas shopping and beach trips are great. Tortola Virgin Gorda Baths or the Cane Garden Bay/tour excursion are both good.

I would go on this cruise again in a heartbeat .... If you have any specific questions, just ask ...

Pete,

They were the reviews posted on CC for 2005 Eastern Carribean Season. I figured I would get better info by posting some questions here since a lot of folks don't want to be bothered writing a review even though they have good info to share

Regards

Mark

I agree with MrPete. I love the Legend, We sailed her May 2004 and May 2995.If only she would do a western itinerary to Grand Cayman and Jamaica,we would sail her again this May. I'm sure we will be on her again,just not this year.

Laura

I visited shortly after reading your post. And you're right. I read more stuff here than there. But I was pleased that most what I read matched to my experience.

I would be repeating the trip this coming year except for some nervous nellys in my wife's family after this past years hurricanes. Their loss.

My only disappointment was I skipped going to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, "knowing" I was returning this year.

The plus also is sailing out of NY!

Did any of you have the pleasure of sailing out on the Legend during Fleet Week in NYC? I will not have any problems sailing back into NYC on a Monday but I would anticipate problems at the pier for embarkation on that Sunday May 28. I sailed into NYC once during fleet week and there was a shortage of piers for the cruise ships. They actually were able to squeeze in 3 ships on one of those piers...believe it...the 3rd ship was small one...the old love boat from Princess...the Pacific Princess

Mark, we came back on the weekend of Fleet week and used the opportunity for self-disembarkation which worked great for us, since we were on the road before the traffic began. From what I read here, those sailing out said the traffic was horrendous !

Maybe others can help with specifics ?

To those CC members who have sailed the Legend out of NYC to the Eastern Carribean, please let me know your honest and candid opinions of the cruise. I have booked the Legend for May 28, 2006 since it seemed liked a good deal and am a bit concerned about all of the negative info I have seen about the Legend for such things as:

Food is just OK

I must tell you that I have sailed on several Carnival Cruises before but have 10+ on RCCL and 8+ on NCL so I know a few things about cruises

Thanks

Mark:cool:

DH and I did the Legend out of NY in May '05. We did not experience anything like you are describing, as a matter of fact, we had an awesome time. Food was good (Try the supper club). The staff was great! (They smiled too! No problems with debarkation or embarkation. Your cruise is what you make it! Go and have a good time

With the exception of embarkation (we, too, departed NYC during Fleet Week and it was a disaster...not Carnival's fault, but the New York City Port Authority does not have their act together at all).

We took our four sons (late teens) and they had their best cruise ever. We loved the ship, the crew, the food, everything. I could live without stopping at San Juan, but the rest of the trip was awesome. We either hit extremely smooth seas or the Captain did a phenomenal job sailing, because our cruise was as smooth as any Caribbean sailing I've been on. In fact, when we left NYC the weather was cool and rain and that was predicted for the entire Eastern Seaboard for the next several days. The Captain announced that he was "swinging the ship" further away from hugging the coast so we would be in warm, sunny, 80 degree weather by the next a.m....and we were.

I would not hesitate to sail this ship again. Have a great time!

We sailed out of NYC during Fleet Week in 2003 and again in 2005. It was very conjested in 2003 but there were several ships in port that year- Tons of traffic and security. In 2005 there was only one other ship that day and the traffic was better.

I have taken the Legend 4 times out of NYC 3 times to the carribean and once to Canada when she was brand new. I will also be sailing again this April 26th to the carribean again. We always arrive around 11 and really have never had a problem. Waiting to start your cruise whether it be 1/2 or 3 hours always seems forever because you just can't wait for all the fun to begin.

Since I have been on the Legend so many times, each time I have had different experiences and different crews and have never come across a rude crew member. Yes ,maybe one day someone didn't smile back at me ,but sometimes I don't feel like smiling while I am at work either.

The food has always been very good some shows better then others and I have never had any trouble sleeping in the beds.

I wish Carnival would change the ports so I could continue to sail her every year and not have to listen to people say " Your doing that cruise again?"

You will have a great time she is a great ship.

Polly

Did anyone try having their taxi drop them off on the street level of the cruise terminal where they park the buses? I read a posting on another cruise line that suggested being dropped off on the street level to avoid the traffic problems going up the ramp to the departure area? Seems to make sense on paper?:confused:

Did anyone try having their taxi drop them off on the street level of the cruise terminal where they park the buses?

Any taxi drop offs or pick ups I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you do it across the street from the cruise terminal and just walk with your luggage. It will save you LOADS of time and hassle!

Laura....You time traveling again????

Mr Pete-you didn't know I could time travel?Guess I'll need to read my posts more carefully before I hit send. And I thought you were my friend,after all we both love the Legend.

for the other poster we did our first cruise during fleet week and had no problems at all. It was really cool watching everything that was going on.

Laura

OK you Legend experts, here is a question for you.

Is the Deli on the Legend as good as the Deli on the Valor class ships? On Valor it was a real Deli with hot steaming meats like Corned Beef and Pastrami that would cut fresh and used to make up any sandwich you asked for....they even had a decent Reuben! Or is the Deli one of those fake pre-made tables like on RCCL ships?:confused:

It's the real del - i!

Best stuff I've had, even from the real kosher deli's.

I remember the first ship I was on that had a deli....the Triumph. I was expecting the meat to be on my chin after my first bite. How surprised I was that it was lean Lean LEAN!

Now, go on your cruise! You're making me HUNGRY!!!!!

I have only sailed on the Legend and the Caribbean Princess and I loved the Legend!! Maybe because she was my first cruise?? Either way though - I enjoyed the Legend better than the CP! We sailed on her for a week and also for a CTN. Both times were great! Crew was always nice and helpful. Beds - the Legend just started sailing in 2002 - they were COMFY! Don't worry about it! Go and have a great time!!!! :D

Archived