Southampton pre and post cruise

Hi in June we are taking a cruise from Southampton on NCL, I think we leave from city terminal. We will spend 3 days it an apartment beforehand after flying direct to SOU airport. Can we visit Isle of Wight as a day trip? How do you get around?

Any pub recommendations in Southampton?

Post cruise we will go direct to Salisbury for 2 nights and then 3 nights in Bath and then fly our early morning from Bristol airport, how easy is it to get to the airport from Bath?

Is it easy to get from the cruise terminal to the train station?

Is there any need to rent a car, it looks like we could just take trains? Speaking of trains, to Salisbury and then onto Bath - should we book in advance?

Appreciate all help and advice

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IOW ferry is closer to Ocean Terminal. But, yes, IOW is a wonderful experience. Last year, we took the ferry from Lymington - we had a car - and spent a full day on the island. Osborne House was wonderful, also saw the Needles, stopped for lunch at a quaint thatched roof cottage and even did a little falconry.

We are spending one day, pre-cruise, in S'hampton at the end of April and have planned to visit Tudor House and then have dinner at a local pub. Duke of Wellington looks interesting. Our travel guide/companion/friend is at Gatwick right now, waiting for her flight to Boston [weather is awful in England]. She spends significant time in that area and knows quite a few good pubs; I'll ask her from some recommendations.

Darcy

Public transport is not great on the IOW. Hiring a car for the day would be better. Cheapest way is to cross on foot and hire on the island. http://www.top-gearhire.com/car_hire.html.

While in Southampton I strongly suggest a visit to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/. It's easy to get there by train.

In Salisbury, I imagine you will take the HOHO bus to Stonehenge (Go early to beat the crowds) and Salisbury Cathedral (take the guided tour).

There is a half-hourly bus service between Bath and Bristol Airport which takes about an hour.

Isle of Wight is perfectly feasible in a day.

For Osborne House, or the "Island Coaster" round-the-island (almost ;)) bus, or to take a car to the Island, you need the car ferry to East Cowes.

- For Osborne House see this thread https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2600559

- if you want to take a car from the mainland it's the same ferry, but if you pre-book one to collect on the island it's simpler to take the Red Jet fast-ferry to (west) Cowes & rent from http://www.top-gearhire.com/ I think they're the only suitable agency in Cowes, no personal knowledge but they seem to have a good reputation. An automatic will cost you £35 plus £7.50 for CDW with £75 excess, no fuel scam etc. Alternatively take a local bus from the ferry to Newport for Enterprise car rental. Rent the smallest car that your ego will allow, you'll be glad that you did.

If you rent one in Southampton there are lots of agencies but of course you'd have to factor in the ferry fares. I'm not sure that any of the big internationals (Hertz, Avis etc) have any representation anywhere on the island.

We always drive on the island, it's so much better use of time than waiting for buses. Local drivers are very obliging and the traffic is leisurely. Doubtless you'll get lost a time or two, but hey that's part of the fun

- For the island hop-on bus routes best to take the Red Funnel car ferry to East Cowes, then local bus Route 4 to Ryde & switch to the Island Coaster ho-ho . Or with a chunk of research you could stick to local bus services. Ho-hos & local buses are all run by the same operator, Southern Vectis.

https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/en/isle-of-wight-ferry/

http://www.islandbuses.info/page.shtml?pageid=1523

Pubs - mebbe depends where your apartment is.

At the bottom end of town (old-town, town walls, waterfront etc) the Duke of Wellington in Bugle Street or the Dancing Man (corner of Town Quay & Bugle Street) or Red Lion (High St)., usually live music at the Platform Tavern on Platform Road.

NCL cruise terminal to Southampton Central Station is walkable in 15 - 20 mins - flat & easy. Or a £6 cab ride.

No need to pre-book trains, any savings by pre-booking will be minimal.

Bath / Bristol isn't my corner of the country, I know you can take a train to Bristol Templemead Station & an airport shuttle-bus from there (But Bob mentions a direct bus service, which sounds a lot easier & quicker)

Southampton is a rail junction, which makes it a go0d base for train travel. I see no need to rent a car on the mainland.

Glancing thro the thread whilst typing - yes, I second spending a day in Portsmouth. Train to Portsmouth Harbour - that's after the main Portsmouth&Southsea station & it's the terminus. Historic dockyard & ships, Gunwhart Quays, Spinnaker Tower all there. And mebbe a bus or taxi (or waterfront walk if you have the time & energy) to Southsea's Clarence Esplanade for views across the Solent to the Isle of Wight (hovercraft takes 10 mins if you didn't make that Island day), Henry V111's small Southsea Castle, D-Day museum & other seafront attractions.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/The+Hard,+Portsmouth+PO1+3DT/Clarence+Esplanade,+Portsmouth,+Southsea+PO5+3NT/@50.7890445,-1.1072338,15z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x48745d81ea1f1a79:0x4797387b7f3e366e!2m2!1d-1.1061399!2d50.7977519!3m4!1m2!1d-1.1078369!2d50.790518!3s0x48745d87ae6097d7:0xd729a75258e32096!1m5!1m1!1s0x48745d943391f4a5:0x5477282f77b890e8!2m2!1d-1.0908938!2d50.7803379!3e2

JB :)

We are spending one day, pre-cruise, in S'hampton at the end of April and have planned to visit Tudor House and then have dinner at a local pub. Duke of Wellington looks interesting. ..

A couple of years ago prior to a TA leaving from Southampton, one of the folks on our Roll Call organized a private pre-cruise dinner for about 20 of us at the Duke of Wellington. It was excellent. We had a private room upstairs for dinner, and of course could enjoy the pub downstairs afterwards as well. Great atmosphere in the pub.