Good, budget/mid range outdoor seafood restaurant in Tampa

Choozin Cruizin

Staying at the Westin Tampa Bay and wondering if there is a good, local, fresh seafood restaurant fairly close. We will be coming off of an 8 hour drive, so don't want to travel too far. An outdoor restaurant on the water somewhere would be a huge bonus.

Thank you

Bahama Breeze is a short walk

https://www.bahamabreeze.com/locations/fl/tampa/tampa/3004

If you're looking for handcrafted tropical drinks and a vibrant island atmosphere, look no further than the Bahama Breeze Island Grille located in Tampa, Florida near W Courtney Campbell Causeway. Join us for Caribbean-inspired food with tropical tastes and innovative recipes. Enjoy our happy hours with specialty cocktails, half-priced appetizers, and island-themed live music or artfully curated playlists. We are conveniently located near the Chase Suite Hotel in Tampa.

If you want a little less upscale and a bit more funky, Whiskey Joe's is right nearby and has a mix of seafood and good old American fare. We like it well enough.

We were supposed to go to Music on the Bay this year at Whiskey Joes. Had some health issues and had to cancel. Maybe next year. Good suggestion.

Seafood is expensive so most decent seafood restaurants aren't cheap.

Agree with Rusty Pelican.

You are not kidding.

I too think Rusty Pelican would be a nice one.

Original Poster here is a link to their website.

http://www.therustypelicantampa.com

And to their dinner menu.

http://www.therustypelicantampa.com/dinner-menu

Keith

Prices are pretty much in line with mid ranged restaurants in Charleston. I only wish we could get the nice fresh seafood like you can get in Florida.

I'm from Murrells Inlet and miss those Bulls Bay Oysters! We can't get fried oysters like you guys can! And OMG the seafood at SeeWee?

McClellanville seafood rules!

Halls Chophouse is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere!

Edited to add that if you want a fun atmosphere, it is really hard to beat Whiskey Joes and the views are so amazing.

spent a good bit of my CG time at sea which included monitoring commercial fishing

don't be fooled, most fish served in restaurants was previously frozen. Most fish in the 'fish counter' at the grocery was previously frozen. And you are better off for it. Fish can be processed and frozen at sea soon after it comes out of the water. Or, it can be put on ice and held for days or even weeks b4 landed ..... I prefer the previously frozen myself after crawling around a few commercial fishing boats.

In the 80's Port Canaveral was a row of fish houses where fresh product was landed and processed. Today that area is Terminal 1, Grills, Fishlips and Rusty's and a handful of charter boats ..... about the only true fresh item you'll find is Lionfish at Grills which they ONLY have when divers bring in fresh catch which Grills will buy and serve .... most else gets delivered by the same truck that brings the catsup.

I'm from Murrells Inlet and miss those Bulls Bay Oysters! We can't get fried oysters like you guys can! And OMG the seafood at SeeWee?

McClellanville seafood rules!

Halls Chophouse is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere!

Edited to add that if you want a fun atmosphere, it is really hard to beat Whiskey Joes and the views are so amazing.

I have to agree with you on Halls Chophouse. They are the whole package. You can't beat their food quality and service is out the roof.

Wish we liked oysters. We are transplants and just can't get into the oyster scenes. I heard that the quality at SeeWee has declined while the prices have gone up. But that's from friends.

Thank you for your input on WHiskey Joes.

spent a good bit of my CG time at sea which included monitoring commercial fishing

don't be fooled, most fish served in restaurants was previously frozen. Most fish in the 'fish counter' at the grocery was previously frozen. And you are better off for it. Fish can be processed and frozen at sea soon after it comes out of the water. Or, it can be put on ice and held for days or even weeks b4 landed ..... I prefer the previously frozen myself after crawling around a few commercial fishing boats.

In the 80's Port Canaveral was a row of fish houses where fresh product was landed and processed. Today that area is Terminal 1, Grills, Fishlips and Rusty's and a handful of charter boats ..... about the only true fresh item you'll find is Lionfish at Grills which they ONLY have when divers bring in fresh catch which Grills will buy and serve .... most else gets delivered by the same truck that brings the catsup.

Ah, I guess the only way to get fresh off the boat is if you catch yourself and cook it. lol

I frequent a place here in Canaveral are that has Mahi taco on the menu

sometimes he mentions that it is 'fresh caught' (by the owner) on the specials board

and the price goes up $5 a plate ....