Aviator of the Seas

Carnival ship aground off San Juan Harbor?

Local news reporting trouble with a Carnival ship apparently running aground in or just off San Juan harbor. The Glory was in San Juan in a port call today.

Anyone know if accurate or true?

Preliminary: ship dropped anchor for unexplained reasons just off the harbor and the anchor is stuck at the bottom and can't be retrieved. Passengers and crew safe.

Marine Traffic web site is showing it anchored just outside San Juan harbor.

This is a post on FB

Well the Carnival Glory decided to drop one of her anchors leaving San Juan and drag it awhile. So we are stuck here for a bit. Looks like I need to take over driving this ship.

This is a post on FB

Well the Carnival Glory decided to drop one of her anchors leaving San Juan and drag it awhile. So we are stuck here for a bit. Looks like I need to take over driving this ship.

How the heck does that happen? Isn't there a safety detent or something?

DH and I just got off a harbor sunset cruise in San Juan. We saw the Glory just sitting outside the channel. I think there is more going on than a dropped/lost anchor. The ship is being pushed ashore and is listed starboard a good 15 degrees. We have watched the ship be pushed by the large waves for over 2 hours now.

What’s going on now?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's still stuck out there, according to Marine Traffic. It is now dark in San Juan.

Port of San Juan ship tracker says it’s underway at .4 nm

Marine Traffic has been reporting alternating "underway" and "anchored" for the past hour.

Port of San Juan ship tracker says it’s underway at .4 nm

That seems like a swing around the anchor. Almost no forward speed.

Prayers for those on board. Even if close to shore and competent assets, the anxiety of being stuck in rough seas, don't care to go through that.

That seems like a swing around the anchor. Almost no forward speed.

Agree. Assuming the stuck anchor is the issue, anyone who has been on a small fishing boat and had their hook/lure snag on an underwater obstruction, you swing the boat all around the obstruction to try and free the hook(s).

I don't have much to add to this thread except that I'm currently on the Sunshine.

We saw the Glory in St. Thomas yesterday, and we are currently underway to San Juan.

We've been on the Glory 3 times, so it's of interest.

Thanks AOS for your on the spot reporting.

I don't have much to add to this thread except that I'm currently on the Sunshine.

We saw the Glory in St. Thomas yesterday, and we are currently underway to San Juan.

We've been on the Glory 3 times, so it's of interest.

Thanks AOS for your on the spot reporting.

I wish I had marine VHF radio on me. It's Sunday and all the news sites are asleep.

There appears to be a pilot boat now along side.

I noticed the pilot boat on the video. It can't be easy to stay close to a ship in that situation.

It's now moving toward Grand Turk and the pilot boat is going back to the harbor.

Looks like Glory is moving away. she's up to 5 kts. she has another anchor so she may be continuing on with her cruise to Grand Turk. Salvage crew may look for the anchor on the sea floor tomorrow and meet up later with Glory and get it fixed. Who knows. I wouldn't think they would sit too long in the middle of a cruise over a lost anchor when they still have another.

Looks like Glory is moving away. she's up to 5 kts. she has another anchor so she may be continuing on with her cruise to Grand Turk. Salvage crew may look for the anchor on the sea floor tomorrow and meet up later with Glory and get it fixed. Who knows. I wouldn't think they would sit too long in the middle of a cruise over a lost anchor when they still have another.

I can hear the CD: "Okay folks. We're on our way. We won't charge you extra for the little adventure we just had!"

Hopefully someone on the Glory can come tell us what’s happening. Will be on her in June

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just spoke with the Captain.

He said “$*%#*#*%” & %*$/#*=*#$$&()(&”

Also, “Hold my beer.”

Doing almost 9 knots, headed 315. Great job all around to those involved in very difficult conditions! Sorry for the alarm if any family of those on board was reading this.

How the heck does that happen? Isn't there a safety detent or something?

Yeah, someone has some explaining to do.

Sounds crazy that an anchor can just "accidentally" fall. Will be interesting to hear the actual account.

This is a post from someone else on FB.

I’m on the ship also and I believe the captain said that the anchor accidentally came down as we were off the shore. He didn’t say we forgot to pull it up or that it snapped and we can’t find it.

Heading out on the Glory at the end of the month. As long as the bars stay open I am all good........

up to 14 knots now and has stopped turning and pointing right towards Grand turk. Pilot boat is returning to the harbor. looks like their just going to continue on and deal with getting the anchor later maybe?

Yeah, someone has some explaining to do.

Sounds crazy that an anchor can just "accidentally" fall. Will be interesting to hear the actual account.

This is a post from someone else on FB.

I’m on the ship also and I believe the captain said that the anchor accidentally came down as we were off the shore. He didn’t say we forgot to pull it up or that it snapped and we can’t find it.

Glad it all worked out but guess they dont make anchors like they used too