About to book the Veendam Canada and New England May 5th - any advice?

sprockie

Planning the activities for our cruise. Unfortunately, our rollcall only has three members. So far, we have booked with Ollies trolley for the Acadia national Park in Bar Harbor, and a private tour as well for Halifax. Really can’t figure out anything I want to do in Sydney, may do the ships tour that involves sailing, it had pretty good reviews. I have never read any of The Anne of Green Gables books, so I’m thinking about the ships falcon tour For Prince Edward island. We will also be staying a couple days extra in Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really can’t figure out anything I want to do in Sydney, may do the ships tour that involves sailing, it had pretty good reviews.

We are renting bikes from I bike Sydney. I agree I wasn't overwhelmed with the tour options for Sydney. So we decided on the bike rental for a low key day. The bikes are right at the pier and can be rented for 1-4 hours. I emailed the company for biking ideas and they were very kind. They recommended biking in a nearby park and on the boardwalk, and picking up a picnic lunch along the way.

Just tossing this out there as another option for you.

TWO HIGHLY RECOMMENDED SYDNEY NOVA SCOTIA TOURS:

For those interested in HAL tours in Sydney for this cruise, here are two we found among the very best tours offered by HAL in this part of the world - one to Fort Louisburg (elegantly reconstructed outdoor living history museum) and the other was the Glace Bay Coal Mine tour (put on your miner's hat and go down deep into the earth).

We found both to be first class destinations with high praise going to the local authorities who created these splendid tourist attractions to compensate for drastic changes in their local economy.

I agree with OlsSalt about touring the Fortress of Louisbourg. We've been twice. We rented a car and drove out there the first time. We were there in an August, when the Fortress was in full swing. All of the Fortress's costumed re-creators were present. It was such fun to visit with these people, as they remain in character to tell you what it was like to live and work in the Fortress in the 18th century. We talked to a baker and tried his fresh bread; talked with a couple who were strolling the grounds; saw a soldier demonstrate filling and shooting his musket; and saw a battalion of soldiers march to their canons and shoot them off.

The second time we visited Sydney was last year in May. We decided to do the ship's tour because the Fortress was in its shoulder season. For ship excursions, there are at least a couple of costumed re-creators present, so we heard from a soldier and a household maid, who made us hot chocolate the way it would have been made back then.

During the shoulder seasons, you can still walk around the Fortress grounds and visit a few open buildings. The recreated fortress is absolutely stunning.

20150826_102557-X-S.jpg

20150826_115852-X-S.jpg

20150826_120324-X-S.jpg