Wine Gratuity

The Wood Duck

Also in the USA, the price you see for almost anything is not the price you pay as, with a few exceptions, a sales tax (varies by location) is added to the price. In the UK, however, the VAT is included in the price you see.

That is partly because every state - even every county - in the US has its own different level of sales taxes while in UK no matter where you are you pay the same percentage.

Which by the way is about double or triple what it is in the US.

• 2 weeks later...
I was reviewing a spreadsheet that is posted on this board that lists the drink and wine prices. When looking at the wine prices Dom Perignon is selling for $179 plus a gratuity of $44.75. If you buy any wine

over $60

on board it would less expensive to buy it in port and pay the $15 corkage fee. The least expensive Merlot is priced at $27 plus $6.75 gratuity. Is it more work to serve

Dom Perignon than the Merlot? A standard gratuity should be applied to all bottles. Same should apply to mixed drinks and shots. Appling gratuity to the drink price is also outrageous. If you buy 2 drinks in a bar at home for $10 each I doubt you tip $3 each round.

Your "cheapness" is showing! When it comes to tips, I tip on the total. So for $20 in drinks, I tip about from $4-6. I don't tip on the tax, however. Just the cost of the drink. Factors such as friendliness, knowledge of what I like to drink, so when I come up, the bartender will say something like..

"Your usual?" things like that will influence my gratuity. Had a bartender on the QM2 for 2 years, he knew what I liked & always had it ready!

Why is there a tip on top of the price? It makes the price incorrect !! I can pour or open a screw cap myself

We must stop this American attitude to tipping pay an actual price and non-slave wages.

Fortunately in the UK tipping has all but died out and is rare, only rounding up .I just do not tip , it's not expected. In Japan it is rude and disrespectful to tip, service standards here are the highest anywhere.

The only tipping in London is when the person has a US accent, then the hand out culture kicks in, as they know that Americans are easy game to pay a silly tip. If you come to Britain take election lessons so that your accent does not give away your origins. It will be cheaper.

Back to the bottle of wine , even in restaurants with a service charge, this will not be added on wine if you request at many places, so a £30 bottle of wine should cost this.

We must resist this tipping culture from the USA !!!

Hopefully when you visit the US, you do tip. As it's not the same as it is in the UK. If not, then I suggest you just stay home!

Edited by keithm
additions

Just for the record, I agree with principle that wine in a restaurant ought to attract a set tip (equivalent to a flat corkage fee) as the service is the same for a $25 bottle as a $100 bottle, but the expectation is 15%. If you want to put a cap maximum per bottle when figuring out your bill, it is up to the consumer. Unfortunately, it is not a "norm" yet, even as the cost of bottled wine in many restaurants can run fairly high.

On Princess, the mark-up is pretty high on cheap wine. I will be updating my wine list for comparing on board pricing to Total Wine in the next week or two.

I was just on ISLAND for 60-nights and took on two cases, plus bought another 3-4 bottles in Chile and Argentina.

We do not have to pay and as long as people do then cruise line swill carry on paying their staff appalling wages while making billions in profit. If we made a stand and refused to pay gratuities cruise lines would have to change. Some out there do have all inclusive cruises where no gratuities are expected or paid and RCCL have for sale a selection of cruises from the UK advertised as gratuities included so it can be done.

Well stated and absolutely correct. As long as the people cruising allow the lines to do this they will keep making large profits. Do you really think the cruise lines pass everything they collect back to the workers? Auto gratuities and service fees are a way for cruise lines to make more money. In many parts of the World the public will not pay them, that is why some lines stop charging in these other waters. The cruisers made a stand and the lines listen.

I was just on ISLAND for 60-nights and took on two cases, plus bought another 3-4 bottles in Chile and Argentina.
We will be on a 28 day cruise this fall but fortunately from our home port of San Pedro. We will probably bring around 18 bottles from our wine cellar of bottles selling between $30 and $50. Paying the $15 corkage will be a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums