sightseeing in London

Camden Lock canal boats https://www.camdenmarket.com/journal/camden-lock-take-a-canal-tour

We took the boat from Camden Lock to "Little Venice" (sounds grander than it is) and back. Little Venice is very close to Paddington Station. It was very enjoyable and serene - which is unexpected in the middle of London.

Camden used to be a fantastic place for street food but they are, unfortunately, closing all the places down for "Redevelopment". A real shame.

For Portobello Road I would exit the tube at Notting Hill Gate as that then takes you down the hill and generally "with the flow" of people. On our first trip we made the mistake of getting out at Ladbroke Grove and trying to "swim upstream" to Notting Hill Gate. Lesson learned!

As I said in my other response, don't use a travelcard, just use your AMEX or an Oyster card.

We have only done on Thames trip and I'm not sure we used the Clipper so can't really be of more help there. Definitely worth doing at least once though.

We got on at Westminster Pier where you can buy tickets from the booths, and got off at Greenwich. We used The Docklands Light Railway (DLR) to get back from Greenwich, this is covered by the Oyster card (or AMEX) and counts towards the cap.

The Camden Market shopping area is closing...what's replacing it?

I love London. Just talking about it on this thread makes me want to buy a plane ticket and go over for a few day.

Haha I live in London and it's making me want to go out and explore it again! (Although, after going to the Tower of London I think 3 or 4 times and paying the extortionate price 3 or 4 times, I may give that one a miss!) I went through my old photos of visiting Greenwich -- it certainly is a stunning view. Both old and new London visible. Quite a unique city where you see that all around.

I work up the road from the Camden Town area - I wasn't aware that any of the markets were closing (and a google search isn't giving me any news) but if one of the markets close that does not mean all of them are closed -- Camden Town is a vibrant shopping area with lots of smaller markets and even street vendors.

Camden used to be a fantastic place for street food but they are, unfortunately, closing all the places down for "Redevelopment". A real shame.
I work up the road from the Camden Town area - I wasn't aware that any of the markets were closing (and a google search isn't giving me any news) but if one of the markets close that does not mean all of them are closed -- Camden Town is a vibrant shopping area with lots of smaller markets and even street vendors.
I'm sure this cannot be true. It would be massive news in London, but I haven't heard anything along these lines.

A small part of the market is currently closed for redevelopment, but that appears to be the extent of it.

If you like walking tours, London Walks has a website listing several tours per day, each one repeating 1 or 2 times during the week. Walks are 2 hours, cost 10 pounds cash, you meet near a tube stop, depending where you'll be walking. We've liked all the ones we've taken, Tower of London, Hampstead, Covent Garden. If you're not sure what their quirky descriptions mean, they will answer emails.

I live near to London but just like to support the comments of others regarding Contactless payment. Very easy to use in London and widely accepted. I use a Contactless AMEX card for travel and shopping in London and it has a Chip and Pin for purchases of more than £30. It you want to use an Oyster Card for travel, I suggest you get a Visitor Oyster card which is purchased from Transport for London (TfL) web site before arriving in the UK. However as others have pointed out, you could have unused currency left on the card which can only be used for travel on TfL. A Contactless enabled card is quicker and more cost effective and it is possible to visit London without local currency. It is useful to have either a VISA/Mastercard Contactless card also.

Buckingham Palace is always a good visit and the Audio Tour is great for learning about each exhibit. There are also options to visit the Royal Mews and Royal Gallery. The on site shop is good for souvenirs. The Tower of London also good. Suggest you visit the Jewel House first as it gets very busy, but the Crown Jewels are a wonder. The Beefeater tours are excellent and often funny since they live on-site and are all specially chosen ex-Service men and women. Alternative, there is an Audio Tour which is very good. If you have Netflix, there are some programmes on the history of the Tower which are really informative.

Afternoon tea is always wonderful way to end a busy sight seeing day. I can recommend the Savoy hotel, but make sure you are hungry. It is served in courses and the cake is last but we were too full to try even a bite.

Personally, I like Westminster Abbey over St Paul's but either is a great experience. Also a visit to Westminster Abbey also puts you next to Westminster Palace (Houses of Parliament). I have visited Parliament which was amazing.

The London Eye is always good and walks along the bank of the Thames good viewing for Parliament and the Shakespeare's Globe theatre. You can also try the Shard which has a visitor viewing on the 69th floor. It has amazing views of the Tower of London site. Windsor Castle is also good especially with the upcoming Royal Wedding, Queen Mary's dollhouse is a wonder, but you may not have the time to visit as it would be a full day in itself including travel.

It you want to use an Oyster Card for travel, I suggest you get a Visitor Oyster card which is purchased from Transport for London (TfL) web site before arriving in the UK. However as others have pointed out, you could have unused currency left on the card which can only be used for travel on TfL.
Given how easy it is to get a standard Oyster once in London, there are few advantages to getting a visitor Oyster and some disadvantages - for example, the deposit on a visitor Oyster appears to be non-refundable, whereas the deposit on a standard Oyster can be refunded.

Unused credit on an Oyster has always been refundable. It is now easy to get small amounts refunded automatically at a ticket machine.

Nevertheless, for an occasional visitor to London who can use a contactless credit or debit card, that can indeed be more convenient than Oyster.