sightseeing in London

Londoner here.

Covent Garden - have lunch at The Crusting Pipe and enjoy the live music.

If you like Jazz check out The Pizza Express website for what's on.

The genuine half price Theatre ticket booth is in Leicester Square : TKTS

For the most amazing steak in town check out : Relais d'Entrecote which has a few locations.

Be aware that many locations are quite close together--so much so that it actually takes longer to go down to get on the tube, ride, and emerge at the new location. The two spots may have been less than 4-6 blocks apart and you'll walk more to get into the tube station, go to the proper train, and emerge. Study your map.

You need to see at least one West End production. We went with something quintessentially British last August: Half a Sixpence. (It closed in September.) I wished we had time to see more, but we were only in London for three nights, and it took one day to get adjusted to the time change.

The attractions we went to include Kensington Palace, Buckingham Palace (including the extra garden tour), Westminster Abbey (for evensong on Sunday afternoon), the National Gallery, Harrods, and the Victoria and Albert Museum. Both of us had been to London before (and I lived there for seven months over 30 years ago).

Londoner here.

Covent Garden - have lunch at The Crusting Pipe and enjoy the live music.

If you like Jazz check out The Pizza Express website for what's on.

The genuine half price Theatre ticket booth is in Leicester Square : TKTS

For the most amazing steak in town check out : Relais d'Entrecote which has a few locations.

The genuine half price Theatre ticket booth is in Leicester Square : TKTS, I thought I saw something like this mentioned somewhere but couldn't remember the name or where it was. You saved me a lot of searching.

Also appreciate the places to eat suggestions.

TKTS (originally The Official Half Price Ticket Booth) is the one to look for. There are dozens of ticket booths around the Square and some of them are complete rip-offs. Of course, if the show you want is a sell-out, they won't have any tickets available.

TKTS (originally The Official Half Price Ticket Booth) is the one to look for. There are dozens of ticket booths around the Square and some of them are complete rip-offs. Of course, if the show you want is a sell-out, they won't have any tickets available.

Thanks. I suspect Mousetrap probably won't be sold out.

I wouldn't be so sure. St Martin's only seats 500 odd people, and when I checked just now (10am Saturday) there were no seats for either performance today.

I wouldn't be so sure. St Martin's only seats 500 odd people, and when I checked just now (10am Saturday) there were no seats for either performance today.

I think I'll probably just order the tickets I want.

after 30+ years waiting to see Mousetrap in London, I'd hate to miss out now.

Thanks, Bob

Sandi

Does anyone know of a site that lets you plan a route with multiple stops. Google maps does but I have to tell it I'm walking or driving car, doesn't seem to work for transit.

TFL gives me start and stop for only one destination, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.

For example, I want to go to Tower of London, then Tower Bridge, then Royal Observatory in Greenwich and back to hotel AND how long it will take, with directions. Does anyone know of an app that will do it? Google is not being my friend today.

Thanks

Sandi

Does anyone know of a site that lets you plan a route with multiple stops. Google maps does but I have to tell it I'm walking or driving car, doesn't seem to work for transit.

TFL gives me start and stop for only one destination, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.

For example, I want to go to Tower of London, then Tower Bridge, then Royal Observatory in Greenwich and back to hotel AND how long it will take, with directions. Does anyone know of an app that will do it? Google is not being my friend today.

Thanks

Sandi

Tower of London and Tower Bridge are at the same place (most likely tube stop you want to get off of is Tower Hill).

TFL website will let you add a 'Via' location (ie. you could search for directions from Tower Hill to your hotel via Greenwich), you need to select 'Show preferences' to be able to add this detail. But honestly, it would be easiest just to map each segment as you'll obviously be going to Tower of London / Tower Bridge for some time, so you don't need to know exactly how long it will take to get from point A to point D when you won't be doing that journey all in one go.

Tower Hill is maybe 20 minutes on the DLR (take Tower Gateway to Cutty Sark). Another fun option would be to take the river boat service from the Tower down to Greenwich Pier -- much more scenic and always a good time (if the weather is good). Costs a little more but totally worth it -- much less expensive than most river boat cruises.

Tower of London and Tower Bridge are at the same place (most likely tube stop you want to get off of is Tower Hill).

TFL website will let you add a 'Via' location (ie. you could search for directions from Tower Hill to your hotel via Greenwich), you need to select 'Show preferences' to be able to add this detail. But honestly, it would be easiest just to map each segment as you'll obviously be going to Tower of London / Tower Bridge for some time, so you don't need to know exactly how long it will take to get from point A to point D when you won't be doing that journey all in one go.

Tower Hill is maybe 20 minutes on the DLR (take Tower Gateway to Cutty Sark). Another fun option would be to take the river boat service from the Tower down to Greenwich Pier -- much more scenic and always a good time (if the weather is good). Costs a little more but totally worth it -- much less expensive than most river boat cruises.

I thought there must be a via options but I sure couldn't see it. Off to look again.

Riverboat is what we are planning. Trying to do a little of everything, walking, bus, tube, train and boat.

Another fun option would be to take the river boat service from the Tower down to Greenwich Pier -- much more scenic and always a good time (if the weather is good). Costs a little more but totally worth it -- much less expensive than most river boat cruises.

The boat is thr only way to go to Greenwich for me. It is such a relaxing an scenic way to make the journey.

I would do a "panoramic" bus tour the first morning you are there, or maybe in the afternoon if this is a post flight day and you need to rest. That way you can get an overview and then zone in on what you might like. You could also do a Thames River cruise to see many famous landmarks from the river and you will cross under London Bridge. We like to visit Harrods, and the National Portrait Gallery, but have also enjoyed many other interesting places in London. The Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral and Westminster Abbey are interesting. The London eye will give you a Birds Eye View! I would try to group your days geographically to make best use of the time. The river cruise can be used to transport you between many of the areas, and the subway system in London is super easy to use.

Before our 2014 trip to London I signed up for the Groupon there and was able to get deals on the Big Red Bus (one of the hop-on/hop-offs) and a couple of restaurants. After the trip I just unsubbed. We did the HO/HO first thing as we’d gotten a good tip that spending some time outdoors in the fresh air and daylight would help with jet lag.

The Oyster card is definitely the way to get around town - the customer service office in the Terminal 4 station at Heathrow was invaluable in getting us squared away. The representative helped us choose the most appropriate options for our circumstances and gave us tips on how things worked. We found we only really rode the underground at night going back to our flat - during the day we infinitely preferred the bus, as we could see more of the city.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Important to note that TKTS is officially an outlet for discounted and last minute tickets - many folk still refer to it as ‘half price’, but most discounts are 30-40%,occasionally over 50%.

The last minute aspect means an easier choice than slogging round different theatre box offices for on the day tickets, but no discount.

I see Mousetrap on sale at TKTS from time to time, butI suspect often as last minute, not discounted - so same price as buying from the theatre.

You could monitor the TKTS website to see current trends, but advice has to be to book in advance to guarantee a particular show. Mousetrap is listed for tomorrow, but full price.

https://officiallondontheatre.com/tkts/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another fun option would be to take the river boat service from the Tower down to Greenwich Pier -- much more scenic and always a good time (if the weather is good). Costs a little more but totally worth it -- much less expensive than most river boat cruises.

This is something we definitely want to do when we are there in May. I looked online and it looks like there are a few choices--can you recommend a particular river boat vendor/service? And maybe the best stop to get on? We saw one that stops by the Eye, which is right where we are staying, but there was another that left from across the river from there. It's not clear to me what would be best.

And we would probably want to book a return ticket, and return after seeing the Cutty Sark and maybe Greenwich.

Thanks for any advice

ML

The Oyster card is definitely the way to get around town
If you have a contactless (RFID, touch) payment card, it will now work anywhere Oyster does.

You do need one for each person, and you need to touch in when entering and leaving the Tube, even if there is no ticket gate at the exit, to avoid paying the maximum fare to the end of the line. (You only touch once with buses, when boarding.)

Saves you being left with unspent Oyster credit at the end of the trip, and it's one less thing to worry about on arrival at Heathrow. Possible catch: overseas transaction fees, though usually these only apply once a day.

Tfl has full details.

This is something we definitely want to do when we are there in May. I looked online and it looks like there are a few choices--can you recommend a particular river boat vendor/service? And maybe the best stop to get on? We saw one that stops by the Eye, which is right where we are staying, but there was another that left from across the river from there. It's not clear to me what would be best.

And we would probably want to book a return ticket, and return after seeing the Cutty Sark and maybe Greenwich.

Thanks for any advice

ML

When you go to the pier you just tell them where you want to go -- they may already be announcing it but they'll help you board the correct one.

The cheapest way to travel around London is with an Oyster card (OR a contactless card as also mentioned) -- you can get a regular Oyster card for the same cost at any tube station (£5 deposit which should be refundable). As also mentioned, every person needs to have a card, you can't multi-pay on one card for multiple people.

If you prefer just to buy tickets, that's fine as well -- again, just speak to a member of staff at the pier and they'll assist you. They all had staffed ticket booths to my recollection.

You can either board at London Eye or at Embankment -- they are both the same routes and get you to the same places, just London Eye is one stop 'earlier' than the other.

I personally would stick with the TFL vendor, I think they're just called Thames Clippers. Again, honestly, when you go to the pier they make it really easy for you to figure out where to go / what to do.

I do love the journey out to Greenwich / Cutty Sark so if you are headed out that way, it's a great way to travel. Totally unique experience and always beautiful views. Going under the icon London bridges (including London Bridge) is a really fantastic experience.

This is something we definitely want to do when we are there in May. I looked online and it looks like there are a few choices--can you recommend a particular river boat vendor/service?
I personally would stick with the TFL vendor, I think they're just called Thames Clippers.
There's one big difference between Thames Clippers and the others.

Thames Clippers' service is primarily intended to be public transport - hence fare payment is compatible with the TfL system (eg you can pay using pre-pay Oyster credit, albeit that the fares are not integrated so they don't count towards the daily cap for example). They do have special fares for visitors, for example they have a one-day ticket called something like a River Roamer which allows you to hop on and hop off.

Thames Clippers' boats are now subject to a strict speed limit upstream from Wapping, so they will go through the centre of town at a leisurely pace which is good for tourists (but not so good for those of us who are trying to use the service as public transport, one big reason why I stopped using them to commute to work). Downstream from Wapping the boats will operate at high speed.

The other operators offer primarily tourist services, and their boats just don't go any faster. They also tend to load and unload more slowly. But they usually have commentary on board (dreadfully cheesy IIRC, but therefore quite fun for a visitor), which Thames Clippers normally does not.

Going under the icon London bridges (including London Bridge) is a really fantastic experience.
Do you mean Tower Bridge?

If you prefer just to buy tickets, that's fine as well -- again, just speak to a member of staff at the pier and they'll assist you. They all had staffed ticket booths to my recollection.
Just to add that most ticket offices at Tube stations have closed now. You can still buy tickets at machines, though they are much more expensive than using Oyster or your own contactless payment cards. If you need help, staff will be available close to the ticket machines. And you can't buy tickets on buses -- the only on-the-spot payment method is Oyster or contactless cards.

As a native of the UK (but not London) I'll throw my tuppence in.

Do a HOHO early in your trip so you can get an idea of where everything is.

Use Citymapper to help you get around using the Transport for London (TfL) buses, tube and overground trains.

Don't bother with Stonehenge. Its a fair trot out and you will be disappointed (just my opinion of course)

If you have time after doing the "must see" attractions already mentioned by others then a couple of things that we enjoyed on our trips to London are a visit to Portobello Road market (check days when the full market is on) and a canal boat trip from Camden Lock.

Oh, and if no-one else has mentioned it (I may well have jsut missed it) Greenwich is well worth a visit.

As a native of the UK (but not London) I'll throw my tuppence in.

Do a HOHO early in your trip so you can get an idea of where everything is.

Use Citymapper to help you get around using the Transport for London (TfL) buses, tube and overground trains.

Don't bother with Stonehenge. Its a fair trot out and you will be disappointed (just my opinion of course)

If you have time after doing the "must see" attractions already mentioned by others then a couple of things that we enjoyed on our trips to London are a visit to Portobello Road market (check days when the full market is on) and a canal boat trip from Camden Lock.

Oh, and if no-one else has mentioned it (I may well have just missed it) Greenwich is well worth a visit.

You just made my day. Our Stonehenge excursion post-cruise had to be changed and I hadn't yet figured out a way to get there in the time we have. Now I don't feel so bad.

Portobello Road Market was one of the first things I added to my "London list"

Don't remember ever hearing about the canal boat trip from Camden Lock.

Greenwich is what I'm trying to figure out now. Transport for London with Oyster Cards and Travelcards and now Thames Clippers confuses the heck out of me.