How are the Swans doing 2018?

This is the clearest and most concise explanation

Cricket Explained to a Foreigner

• You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
  • Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
  • When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
  • When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
  • Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
  • There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
  • Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.
  • When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

This is the clearest and most concise explanation

Cricket Explained to a Foreigner

• You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
  • Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
  • When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
  • When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
  • Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
  • There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
  • Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.
  • When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

Thanks for that, have to print that out for the Noordam in April.:hearteyes:

I'd like to understand what is happening. Any sport that can take 3 days to complete a match is more like punishment than entertainment :D

3 day matches are for the weak. Test matches are five days :)

And it's a tough one to explain. You have to understand the game, and I don't mean just learning the rules. I've compared notes a bit with a mate who is from California about cricket and baseball and I think we both agree that both games can seem a bit opaque to those who don't understand the game. Both have a heavy focus on statistics and history. Both feature short bursts of action and seemingly endless waiting for the rest of the time.

I'll watch any cricket, but test cricket is the real stuff, not the forgettable hit and giggle T20s or the "Why Even Bother" 50 over one day matches.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:30 PM, MicCanberra said:

Bob Voyage Mic and Rosie. Safe travels.

Leigh

Cheers. I am hoping we get to see some of the games, but most likely not. Time zone and schedule will be against me, even if I can find a channel to telecast it..

Had no luck with any footage live but did get the results and subsequently wasn't too interested in the Grand final anyway, the same applied for the NRL.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:02 AM, NoWhiners said:

Just remembered about this. With the Swans out, I stopped tracking it so closely.

These seem like surprise teams--is that true? I don't remember reading about either of these teams being favored at the beginning of the season, not that that really means anything.

I'll see if it will be on here in the US, but the Ryder Cup starts on Friday and will likely overlap this.

I guess we'll have to wait for next season <sigh>

Cheers mates
ML

Saw a bit of this Ryder Cup golf while in Europe, I must say it seems like it is a very big deal over there.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, By The Bay said:

As an American you might want to consider having a look at the Grand Final. Collingwood has a 7 foot Texan, Mason Cox, playing. His family have flown out to see the game. Go the Pies.

Funny you should mention this guy as I met a few Texans on our cruise and they were talking about him, one of them was an uncle of him and was very excited for Collingwood.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, losfp said:

I'd like to understand what is happening. Any sport that can take 3 days to complete a match is more like punishment than entertainment

😄

3 day matches are for the weak. Test matches are five days 🙂

And it's a tough one to explain. You have to understand the game, and I don't mean just learning the rules. I've compared notes a bit with a mate who is from California about cricket and baseball and I think we both agree that both games can seem a bit opaque to those who don't understand the game. Both have a heavy focus on statistics and history. Both feature short bursts of action and seemingly endless waiting for the rest of the time.

I'll watch any cricket, but test cricket is the real stuff, not the forgettable hit and giggle T20s or the "Why Even Bother" 50 over one day matches.

The best thing about cricket is it is even better to listen to it on the radio than watching it on TV. this way you can still go about the daily tasks and be entertained every now and then.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:07 PM, MicCanberra said:

Saw a bit of this Ryder Cup golf while in Europe, I must say it seems like it is a very big deal over there.

It is definitely a big thing in Europe. And it's a pretty big thing in the US, at least for golf fans. The Euros are pretty good at beating us too. They seem to do team play better than the Americans.

5 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

It is definitely a big thing in Europe. And it's a pretty big thing in the US, at least for golf fans. The Euros are pretty good at beating us too. They seem to do team play better than the Americans.

They certianly did play well with the respective pairings and such.

• 1 month later...