Our “Magical” Journey-March 17-24 review

bubba2012

I’m sorry to hear about your experience in Belize. I would have gone back to the ship also. We had a wonderful excursion in Belize (private operator) to the Lamanai ruins. Of all our cruises it is my son’s second favorite excursion. Only whale watching in Alaska beat it.

Sorry to hear about your experience in Belize, it definitely seems like a one and done type of stop.

We did Belize last year with a non-Carnival tour (booked through Costco). The staff at port was the least-friendly we've experienced on any vacation. We had to meet our tour outside the gated port area which wasn't a big deal, but could be intimidating if you're first-timers to int'l travel or with kids. It seems that most excursions out of Belize City are quite a drive away, and you definitely get to see a lot of local flair. As with the crew, if we have a stop in Belize City in the future we'll stay on board and enjoy the less-crowded ship. As my wife and I say, "Checked off the list".

Sorry to hear about your experience in Belize, it definitely seems like a one and done type of stop.

We did Belize last year with a non-Carnival tour (booked through Costco). The staff at port was the least-friendly we've experienced on any vacation. We had to meet our tour outside the gated port area which wasn't a big deal, but could be intimidating if you're first-timers to int'l travel or with kids. It seems that most excursions out of Belize City are quite a drive away, and you definitely get to see a lot of local flair. As with the crew, if we have a stop in Belize City in the future we'll stay on board and enjoy the less-crowded ship. As my wife and I say, "Checked off the list".

I agree, and during dembarkation we found out Carnival had left a paper asking for guests feedback on Belize and is it a stop they should continue. Ironically, we didn’t get it.

I’ll be continuing my review soon. Sorry for the delay, but back to working 12 hour shifts so less time to write.

Day 5 - Mahogany Bay/Rotaan....and where the heck is Doug????

So after our Belize debacle, we planned to have a day at the beach. We did the Relax of the Beach package through Carnival. One price covers two people, and includes ski lift ride to beach, floating mats, and loungers with a clam shell for shade. We left the ship around 10 and got to beach area and shown to our seats by 1030. It’s day 5, so our speed has slowed down to a crawl. We hung out, enjoyed the island, but mainly stayed on the beach. They had an issue with seaweed as it was floating in, but they were working hard raking it into piles on shore, and removing it.

There is a restaurant on the island, Fat Tuesday’s I believe and we looked at menu since it was close to lunch but burgers were $15 so it was hard for me to justify paying $60 plus on food when we could easily go back to ship and eat for free. Maybe I’m cheap, but that’s how I roll!!!! We left the beach area around 130p, and headed back to ship. As we were walking back through port, we looked to our left and there’s Doug. Yay!!! Doug is back. It was a whole day and no Doug. Doug apparently has kids, who knew. Probably 11-12ish range and as we walked by he said, “make smart decisions” as they walked off into the port shops. Meanwhile Doug walked to the bar and sat down for an afternoon cocktail.

We returned to the ship, had lunch and just sat by the pool and enjoyed the day. We sat at RFP, enjoyed some music, had some beer and waited till the comedy show. It was the PG version and honestly, not very good. We left after 15 minutes. One thing I dislike is when a comic just interacts with the front row, excluding everyone else. Plus the same jokes about kids in elevators pushing all the buttons. Yeah, yeah, heard the same joke all week. We then went to the America Rocks show, we’d seen it before on Liberty and it was good.

Pretty much a relaxing day, no worries and just enjoyed the port and ship. Plus, Doug is alive with kids.

Next stop Costa Maya!!!!

where as most younger generations want to walk right into a home right out of HGTV, so please stop with your generalizations of our generation.

Don't normally comment on these comments, but this one had me laughing. You don't want to be stereotyped but then you do the exact same about the "younger" generations (like myself) in the exact same sentence.

-------------------------

As for this thread! Reading with anticipation! We are on the Magic in September and was looking at the same excursion in Belize....will read more about it to make sure this wasn't just a fluke.

If I understood you right, you said the soda's or children's sodas(???) were $2.50 plus gratuity. My question, are the adult sodas more? Also how much was the gratuity?

Oh I'm like you and several others, I love to watch people too.:)

We are to be doing Belize also. Once the tender gets us there, we will go to the area called Brown Sugar (I don't know if that sounds familiar to you), and get our ferry to Caye Caulker. My son told me just taking the ferry to the beach is beautiful in itself.

If I understood you right, you said the soda's or children's sodas(???) were $2.50 plus gratuity. My question, are the adult sodas more? Also how much was the gratuity?

Oh I'm like you and several others, I love to watch people too.:)

We are to be doing Belize also. Once the tender gets us there, we will go to the area called Brown Sugar (I don't know if that sounds familiar to you), and get our ferry to Caye Caulker. My son told me just taking the ferry to the beach is beautiful in itself.

Sodas were $2.50 plus gratuity which was $2.88 I believe. It’s one price for individual soda. The bottomless bubbles package has a child and adult price.

It was our first time in Belize, a bit intimidating for us. We never heard of a ferry or where to even find it. Have a great trip!!!!