Our “Magical” Journey-March 17-24 review

bubba2012

Day 3 - Cozumel

So we decided to go to Paradise beach for the first time. After reading great reviews, off we went. We left the ship around 930, and went through the port to the taxi line up. As we waited in line a guy ask where I wanted to go, I said 4 for Paradise beach. He said $15 and pointed us to a cab. We hopped in and off we went. The driver starting fishing for what we wanted to do as I’ve read they may try and get you to go to a place they have connections with. I just said, we want PB and that ended that. He was friendly and drove safely so it was all good.

It was about a 10 minute ride and we’re dropped off out front. A employee met us and explained everything and we just wanted to be on beach, and kids have access to the beach toys. It was $3 per person entry, $18 per person for beach toys, those giant blow ups in water. We got wrist bands and shown to our loungers with umbrella. Our server Miguel came over and said if we need anything let him know.

We went to the water and it was a bit cold, so we had to ease into it. After 30 min an employee came over to us and said to go down a little bit as area we were in was rocky. So we followed his advice and it was much better. As the kids were on the inflatables my wife and I are watching them play. I look over to the left and you’ll never guess who we saw??? Seriously, is this guy following us? It’s party guy!!!!! Now, this is where it gets interesting. We got tired of calling him party guy and decided to name him “Doug”. So from here out he’s known as Doug. Don’t ask me why, it’s just what it is. So “Doug” is heading out to the inflatables and climbs to the top of one. They were jumping off landing on the one below shooting the kids off in space. As he stood on top, my wife and I say to each other. This isn’t gonna end well. Sure enough, Doug stands up to jump off, slips and falls head first into the inflatables below. He surfaces and swims out, looking unscathed. I scream out and said “dude, you totally ate it”. He just laughed but got out of the water. I seriously thought we had a cervical injury in front of us, but fortunately he made it out alive and no apparent injuries.

Later we decided to go poolside and have lunch. The place is amazing, great pool and staff. We stuffed our faces with chicken nachos, salsa and beer. It was a great day, even better that Doug was still alive. We left about 2, got a cab (all waiting out front) and headed back to port.

We got back, cleaned up and just relaxed after a busy day. We went to the Country Road show later that evening. It was a good show. We then headed to the RFP and killed off a couple beer tubes, and things started getting fuzzy at that point and we just ended back in our rooms crashing for the night.

Next up - Our Un-Belizeable story!!!

Following. I have the Magic booked for my 50th Anniversary for April 2020, so I’m enjoying reading your review. We will be having probably about 25+ family members booking, and I’ve already suggested booking adjoining inside cabins as the cheaper alternative to booking a suite. As for the drink package, I’m with you! I never purchase it because I know I’d never come near breaking even. Thanks for the beer prices, as my hubby is strictly a beer man, where I will have a cocktail by the pool, and a glass of wine with dinner, then possibly a nightcap later. I had to laugh about your comment of developing the fine art of people watching, as that is my hubby to the T! Lol! Whenever we travel, I read, and he gawks. Lol!

I am on the Breeze this next March (2019), and I know it’s a sister ship to the Magic, so excited for that, also. Looking forward to more of your review.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Next up - Our Un-Belizeable story!!!

I'm really appreciating your review and look forward to reading the "un-Belizeable" story. Are you going to post pictures? Every time we go to Cozumel, we snorkel or dive (except the one time we did a dune buggy tour), but we never just go to the beach. PB sounds kind of nice and no-hassle the way you describe it.

I'm really appreciating your review and look forward to reading the "un-Belizeable" story. Are you going to post pictures? Every time we go to Cozumel, we snorkel or dive (except the one time we did a dune buggy tour), but we never just go to the beach. PB sounds kind of nice and no-hassle the way you describe it.

Sorry, I’m the worst when it comes to pictures. I only take mental photographs...ha ha.

Day 4 - Belize

We’ve never been to Belize so we weren’t sure what to expect. I’ve read great reviews from private tours, however being our first time and being unfamiliar with the port we decided to take a Carnival excursion. We settled on the Bacab Eco Park Family Escape. It had decent reviews so we thought why not, what could really go wrong.

Our tickets said to meet in the Showtime theatre at 930, we got there at 915 and it was packed. Apparently this was the meeting place for all excursions. We waited as they called ours, once called we walked out they gave us a sticker to show our excursion. We got on the tender boat and finally left about 10. It was a 15 min ride to the port. Ironically, before we left the theater the Carnival staff member making the announcements was ask about Belize. He said, there’s not much to do in port and none of the crew members ever get off in Belize due to safety. Ok, not exactly what I wanted to hear, but felt ok being a Carnival excursion.

We made it to land, probably 1015. They put us in a line to separate all the excursions, but stated a lot go to this Bacab Park and have different excursions there. No worries, so our group got in line and waited. The tour guide made some announcements and we stood in line, waiting, and waiting, and waiting. We stood around for 30 minutes wondering what the heck is going on. No explanations, but finally we were shown to the bus. Now, as you exit the port let’s just say it’s not a very friendly looking atmosphere. While waiting to get on bus random people selling went up and down our line trying to sell stuff. I get it, it’s how they make money but I don’t like being hassled. They were nice, a simple no thank you and they moved on.

Finally, we’re on the bus. So it’s noticeable warm as we got to our seats. People were adjusting air vents and such, but nothing was helping. We drove off, and a few minutes someone shouts out please turn on air. A few more minutes later, they shout again. The tour guide then says, sorry the AC isn’t working. Moans filled the bus in disgust, and then it snowballed. Two elderly women, probably in 60’s start making a fuss shouting we need air and we’re gonna pass out. They looked at me for support and I said, look I’m from Florida. This is nothing, a bit warm but not a dire emergency. The tour guide was making some calls then tells us another bus will meet us and it’ll be 5 minutes. After 10 min we’re still driving, those two ladies kept complaining and the guide says 5 minuets. Then they started shouting at her saying you said 5 min, 10 min ago. So next thing I know the bus pulls off to the side of the road in the middle of the city. We were told that a bus is on the way, and if we wanted off the bus for air to go stand on side of the road. I look at my family and say, stay on the bus, it’s not safe to stand on side of road. Half the bus gets off, and those around us are all confused at to what’s going on. Now, there was a family on board who had a child and adult with mobility issues. So they had gotten off bus and I saw the lady talking to the tour guide. So as we waited there was talk of going back to the port, but nothing definite. Finally, the second bus pulls up and they ask us to get off and get on new bus. As I walked off I ask the lady who spoke to the tour guide what the plan was, are they sending us back to port. She said no, they refuse to take us back. Ok, so we got in the new bus and it had air. So it appeared we were off, but not so fast.

As we left, a few minutes later someone ask how much longer. Well, that time went from 20 min to 30 plus minutes. So now the same two ladies are at it again, making a fuss and others chimed in stating we’re losing time at the park. The bus then pulls off the side of the road again and we sit. At this point most were mad as we’ve done nothing but lose time, and jeopardize people’s safety. So some people start demanding to be taken back to port. The tour guide makes a call, and then says her supervisor is on her way. Ok, great we’re stuck on the side of the road again in Central America, this is ridiculous. Now it’s about 1130, and the supervisor shows up and announces anyone wanting to continue they would get half price and those wanting to return would get a full refund. So about 12 people said they wanted to continue on. So we sat and waited for a van to come pick them up. It’s 12 now, and the van shows up and those going on got off. We decided to return to port, as we’d had enough and didn’t trust the transportation getting back. As we waited, apparently half the bus decided they wanted to go so they all got out and tried to get in van. Well that’s not gonna work. So the supervisor says since more people want to go, those returning to port get off the bus and wait on side of road and another bus will pick you up as we will take this bus to the park. What??? What did I just hear??? Get off the bus, stranded in Belize and wait for a bus. I thought a riot was going to break out and people including us refused to get off bus citing safety concerns. Meanwhile, the van with the original 12 took off and headed to the park. So now we’re all asking to go, we’ve done nothing but sit on the side of the road. The bus finally started moving, it was 1230 and I was thinking just get us back to the ship. The supervisor then explained the refund process and that if anyone wanted to go to the park to stay on bus after our return to port to remain on bus and they would take them.

We got back to port all in one piece, we couldn’t get off fast enough. And the kicker to all of it the two ladies who started all this stayed on the bus and said well, we’re gonna go now. I’m like, thanks for ruining everyone else’s day. As we entered the port then we started being harassed by locals shouting we should’ve taken their tours and not the ships. We just went directly to the tender boat and got out of there, what a big giant mess.

It was 130p now, we were hungry and got lunch and tried to calm down. The kids wanted to swim so we just turned it into a pool day. Later that evening we went to guest services to inquire about refund and discuss our experience. She said no refund has been given but to check with the shore excursion desk and they open in 5 minutes. And of course, there’s a line for shore excursions. I waited for 30 minutes and got to the counter and said we were on the Bacab family excursion and immediately he says yes, we apologize and you’ll get a full refund once we get all the tickets back we’ll enter it in tonight and by tomorrow it’ll show up as OBC. He says, anything else?? Yes, as a matter of fact there is something else. You left us stranded twice on the side of the road and jeopardized everyone’s safety and ruined half our day. Sir, your getting a full refund and that’s all you’ll get, there’s nothing we can do but apologize as we can’t control transportation issues. What??? You can’t control something you organized? Put us on a bus, knowing the air wasn’t working and allowed other passengers to dictate our trip. Again, sorry sir, there’s nothing else we’re gonna do but issue a refund. I said wow, I’m not asking for you to comp my cruise but some compensation should be issued and you’ll have 30 other people here tonight as well. Sir, all they’ll get is a refund too and nothing else. Some things are out of our control. At this point, I left as I wasn’t going to keep arguing and ruin our cruise. 😡😡😡😡😡

Day 4 - Belize

We’ve never been to Belize so we weren’t sure what to expect. I’ve read great reviews from private tours, however being our first time and being unfamiliar with the port we decided to take a Carnival excursion. We settled on the Bacab Eco Park Family Escape. It had decent reviews so we thought why not, what could really go wrong.

Our tickets said to meet in the Showtime theatre at 930, we got there at 915 and it was packed. Apparently this was the meeting place for all excursions. We waited as they called ours, once called we walked out they gave us a sticker to show our excursion. We got on the tender boat and finally left about 10. It was a 15 min ride to the port. Ironically, before we left the theater the Carnival staff member making the announcements was ask about Belize. He said, there’s not much to do in port and none of the crew members ever get off in Belize due to safety. Ok, not exactly what I wanted to hear, but felt ok being a Carnival excursion.

We made it to land, probably 1015. They put us in a line to separate all the excursions, but stated a lot go to this Bacab Park and have different excursions there. No worries, so our group got in line and waited. The tour guide made some announcements and we stood in line, waiting, and waiting, and waiting. We stood around for 30 minutes wondering what the heck is going on. No explanations, but finally we were shown to the bus. Now, as you exit the port let’s just say it’s not a very friendly looking atmosphere. While waiting to get on bus random people selling went up and down our line trying to sell stuff. I get it, it’s how they make money but I don’t like being hassled. They were nice, a simple no thank you and they moved on.

Finally, we’re on the bus. So it’s noticeable warm as we got to our seats. People were adjusting air vents and such, but nothing was helping. We drove off, and a few minutes someone shouts out please turn on air. A few more minutes later, they shout again. The tour guide then says, sorry the AC isn’t working. Moans filled the bus in disgust, and then it snowballed. Two elderly women, probably in 60’s start making a fuss shouting we need air and we’re gonna pass out. They looked at me for support and I said, look I’m from Florida. This is nothing, a bit warm but not a dire emergency. The tour guide was making some calls then tells us another bus will meet us and it’ll be 5 minutes. After 10 min we’re still driving, those two ladies kept complaining and the guide says 5 minuets. Then they started shouting at her saying you said 5 min, 10 min ago. So next thing I know the bus pulls off to the side of the road in the middle of the city. We were told that a bus is on the way, and if we wanted off the bus for air to go stand on side of the road. I look at my family and say, stay on the bus, it’s not safe to stand on side of road. Half the bus gets off, and those around us are all confused at to what’s going on. Now, there was a family on board who had a child and adult with mobility issues. So they had gotten off bus and I saw the lady talking to the tour guide. So as we waited there was talk of going back to the port, but nothing definite. Finally, the second bus pulls up and they ask us to get off and get on new bus. As I walked off I ask the lady who spoke to the tour guide what the plan was, are they sending us back to port. She said no, they refuse to take us back. Ok, so we got in the new bus and it had air. So it appeared we were off, but not so fast.

As we left, a few minutes later someone ask how much longer. Well, that time went from 20 min to 30 plus minutes. So now the same two ladies are at it again, making a fuss and others chimed in stating we’re losing time at the park. The bus then pulls off the side of the road again and we sit. At this point most were mad as we’ve done nothing but lose time, and jeopardize people’s safety. So some people start demanding to be taken back to port. The tour guide makes a call, and then says her supervisor is on her way. Ok, great we’re stuck on the side of the road again in Central America, this is ridiculous. Now it’s about 1130, and the supervisor shows up and announces anyone wanting to continue they would get half price and those wanting to return would get a full refund. So about 12 people said they wanted to continue on. So we sat and waited for a van to come pick them up. It’s 12 now, and the van shows up and those going on got off. We decided to return to port, as we’d had enough and didn’t trust the transportation getting back. As we waited, apparently half the bus decided they wanted to go so they all got out and tried to get in van. Well that’s not gonna work. So the supervisor says since more people want to go, those returning to port get off the bus and wait on side of road and another bus will pick you up as we will take this bus to the park. What??? What did I just hear??? Get off the bus, stranded in Belize and wait for a bus. I thought a riot was going to break out and people including us refused to get off bus citing safety concerns. Meanwhile, the van with the original 12 took off and headed to the park. So now we’re all asking to go, we’ve done nothing but sit on the side of the road. The bus finally started moving, it was 1230 and I was thinking just get us back to the ship. The supervisor then explained the refund process and that if anyone wanted to go to the park to stay on bus after our return to port to remain on bus and they would take them.

We got back to port all in one piece, we couldn’t get off fast enough. And the kicker to all of it the two ladies who started all this stayed on the bus and said well, we’re gonna go now. I’m like, thanks for ruining everyone else’s day. As we entered the port then we started being harassed by locals shouting we should’ve taken their tours and not the ships. We just went directly to the tender boat and got out of there, what a big giant mess.

It was 130p now, we were hungry and got lunch and tried to calm down. The kids wanted to swim so we just turned it into a pool day. Later that evening we went to guest services to inquire about refund and discuss our experience. She said no refund has been given but to check with the shore excursion desk and they open in 5 minutes. And of course, there’s a line for shore excursions. I waited for 30 minutes and got to the counter and said we were on the Bacab family excursion and immediately he says yes, we apologize and you’ll get a full refund once we get all the tickets back we’ll enter it in tonight and by tomorrow it’ll show up as OBC. He says, anything else?? Yes, as a matter of fact there is something else. You left us stranded twice on the side of the road and jeopardized everyone’s safety and ruined half our day. Sir, your getting a full refund and that’s all you’ll get, there’s nothing we can do but apologize as we can’t control transportation issues. What??? You can’t control something you organized? Put us on a bus, knowing the air wasn’t working and allowed other passengers to dictate our trip. Again, sorry sir, there’s nothing else we’re gonna do but issue a refund. I said wow, I’m not asking for you to comp my cruise but some compensation should be issued and you’ll have 30 other people here tonight as well. Sir, all they’ll get is a refund too and nothing else. Some things are out of our control. At this point, I left as I wasn’t going to keep arguing and ruin our cruise. 😡😡😡😡😡

On my recent trip to Belize with a NCL cruise, we were just on their beautiful private island, Harvest Caye, but our 19 year old granddaughter and her BF that were also traveling with us, took a ferry to the mainland. When they returned to ship they told us they had a lovely time at the Thirsty Tuna, and that was all. I found out afterwards—-about a month later—- that she confided in her mom what really happened, but she didn’t want to upset me at the time. Apparently she and her BF struck up a conversation with a very nice local at this bar, and he wanted to show them his boat, even offering them a tour around in it. Gullible kids that they are, wanting to explore, said OK. They followed him to his boat. She got in, and the man started to push off leaving the BF behind, when armed police came rushing down the shore to the boat, and got her out. The man in the boat took off. The police said they have a problem in the area with human trafficking, and suspect this man was part of it.

Glad I didn’t hear that on the ship as I would have freaked out! I have to say that granddaughter is currently traveling Bali right now on Easter Break, and pray she has smartened up and uses some caution this time.

Ugh that stinks you wasted all that time and stress in Belize. You gotta love those baby boomers. The original “me,me,me” generation and boy do they have it down pat! I’m sure you all would’ve just endured the ride with windows open. We would’ve.

Sorry for your horrible ordeal with the Belize excursion. I was curious to see what happened, we are scheduled for Carnival excursion in Belize in a few weeks. Will need to let family know not to expect air conditioning. To bad they didn’t comp you a bottle of wine or something for your nerves.

Ugh that stinks you wasted all that time and stress in Belize. You gotta love those baby boomers. The original “me,me,me” generation and boy do they have it down pat! I’m sure you all would’ve just endured the ride with windows open. We would’ve.

Truthfully, if the tour guide would’ve just said sorry but too bad we’re not stopping and just got there. Unfortunately, the bus didn’t have windows to put down.

Sorry for your horrible ordeal with the Belize excursion. I was curious to see what happened, we are scheduled for Carnival excursion in Belize in a few weeks. Will need to let family know not to expect air conditioning. To bad they didn’t comp you a bottle of wine or something for your nerves.

The excursion list air conditioned transportation so to me that was a bonus. I didn’t expect AC in a place were AC is considered a luxury.

I’m disappointed they didn’t acknowledge it more. I wasn’t expecting much but something would’ve been a nice gesture. Plus, no one even followed up with us either. You’d think after an entire excursion going wrong guest services would at least acknowledge our disappointment.

That is unfair! I am a baby boomer, and I do not bitch non stop to stop a tour bus! And I have NEVER considered my hubby and myself as only thinking of “me, me, me”. We raised 5 children and now have 14 grandchildren, so we never had time or the money to just think of “me”. Please don’t group me along with your preconceived notion of what my generation was like. We worked our asses off to get anywhere, starting from nothing to get a home, etc, where as most younger generations want to walk right into a home right out of HGTV, so please stop with your generalizations of our generation.

On my recent trip to Belize with a NCL cruise, we were just on their beautiful private island, Harvest Caye, but our 19 year old granddaughter and her BF that were also traveling with us, took a ferry to the mainland. When they returned to ship they told us they had a lovely time at the Thirsty Tuna, and that was all. I found out afterwards—-about a month later—- that she confided in her mom what really happened, but she didn’t want to upset me at the time. Apparently she and her BF struck up a conversation with a very nice local at this bar, and he wanted to show them his boat, even offering them a tour around in it. Gullible kids that they are, wanting to explore, said OK. They followed him to his boat. She got in, and the man started to push off leaving the BF behind, when armed police came rushing down the shore to the boat, and got her out. The man in the boat took off. The police said they have a problem in the area with human trafficking, and suspect this man was part of it.

Glad I didn’t hear that on the ship as I would have freaked out! I have to say that granddaughter is currently traveling Bali right now on Easter Break, and pray she has smartened up and uses some caution this time.

That’s far worse then we experienced. And I’m glad it all worked out. There are sick, evil people in this world and human trafficking is a serious issue. Fortunately, there was police nearby to get them out of that situation. If we ever return to Belize we’ll just stay on the boat.

That is unfair! I am a baby boomer, and I do not bitch non stop to stop a tour bus! And I have NEVER considered my hubby and myself as only thinking of “me, me, me”. We raised 5 children and now have 14 grandchildren, so we never had time or the money to just think of “me”. Please don’t group me along with your preconceived notion of what my generation was like. We worked our asses off to get anywhere, starting from nothing to get a home, etc, where as most younger generations want to walk right into a home right out of HGTV, so please stop with your generalizations of our generation.

You just generalized the younger generations so......

Well said and we were taught to have respect for the "older" folks. What goes around, comes around and everyone reaches those Golden Years eventually. ;p

Following along. We are on the Magic June 9. Y'all sound like my husband & I- we give people names too...lol... and love to people watch. We were back and forth on the Cheers program, but I'm glad to read your account.

Sorry about Belize- that is so disappointing.

Very well said and my thoughts as well although not all of the younger generation is that way (you did say most :-))!

I’m glad we didn’t book an excursion in Belize! This was what I was worried about. Sorry you had to deal with it. We are in Florida too and would have just rolled down the windows and dealt with it

The whole situation could been handled better from the start with informing us and waiting for a new bus with AC. Honestly, it wasn’t horrible and I’m used to the heat. No one was in danger and they let people dictate our trip. I am disappointed Carnival didn’t make a better effort to remedy the situation. Yes I got a refund, but that’s a given at that point. Our safety was in jeopardy with a bunch of tourist with money on the side of the road. Fortunately, nothing bad happened and it’ll be a story we can hopefully laugh about one day.

Well, that's a bummer, but I'm relieved to hear no one actually passed out or threw up in the van. What you went through sounds about right for how things can go traveling in a third-world country. Been there done that more than a couple times. I'm more surprised when there aren't transportation issues.

On one memorable excursion, we signed up for a snorkeling trip in Mexico -not through the cruiseline but with a local vendor with credentials - that included "air-conditioned" transportation from the pier to dock where we would board a "luxurious, glass-bottom boat" with an an "open bar". Not even close. Our family's ride was in a beat-up, old pick up truck that belched exhaust fumes into the cab, had no seat belts, and was "air-conditioned" by rolling down the windows. When we got to the dock, the luxury boat was a skinny, little dive boat with bench seats and a cloudy strip of plexiglass down the middle of the boat. The vessel was so narrow, we were practically bumping knees with the person across from us. I don't even remember seeing a head on the boat. The "open bar" was one cooler of beer, soda and water. The crew was pleasant and the snorkeling was good though, and on the way back, the captain motored us all the way back to the pier so we didn't have to ride in the truck again.