Sea sickness

Bennybluehat

When we have cruised on ships with lots of Americans on board, we have noticed that they had a small round plaster behind their ear to stop seasickness.

Has anyone tried these, and can we get them in the UK?

That is most likely a Scopolamine (hyoscine hydrobromide) patch. Don't know about the US, but in Canada they require a prescription. Like Avomine (Promethazine theoclate), alcohol is contraindicated.

According to the internet, the patches are available in the UK.

The patch has to be removed/protected when bathing, swimming, etc. Many, myself included get very sleepy using the patch. Other side effects include dizziness and blurred vision. Some mitigate side effects by using half of a patch.

You need to be very careful with scapolomine. My friend put a plaster behind her ear and the following day one of her eyes was dilated to such an extent that it looked like a hole in her eye. Really nasty reaction and took 3 days to go down.

That is most likely a Scopolamine (hyoscine hydrobromide) patch. Don't know about the US, but in Canada they require a prescription. Like Avomine (Promethazine theoclate), alcohol is contraindicated.

According to the internet, the patches are available in the UK.

The patch has to be removed/protected when bathing, swimming, etc. Many, myself included get very sleepy using the patch. Other side effects include dizziness and blurred vision. Some mitigate side effects by using half of a patch.

The patches do not have to be removed when swimming and bathing. BUT you can NOT use half a patch this is extremely dangerous as they are designed to administer a controlled amount. If you half them you receive an overdose.

I've used these for years as I couldn't manage with the tablets. However I can now cope with tablets as my sickness has eased as I get older.

I have been rather put off using the Scopolamine patches and I can't use the tablets because of other meds I'm taking, so I guess I will have to use the travel wrist bands with us. Hopefully I won't need them, but we will be crossing the North Sea at the end of April to go on a Norwegian Fjords cruise. It is just the days crossing the North Sea that I feel I may need something to help.

Thank you all for your replies.