Now Starboard for NaPali coast on POA?

pdcsgirl

Did NCL change the direction of the ship for this sail by or is NCL's site simply wrong? We booked a port balcony anticipating this sail by. The map on the site suggests we want starboard because when the ship is closer to land it is sailing south, not north. I really thought it was the other way around based on everything that I have read to date?

Reference the image LINK:

https://www.google.com/maps/@22.0872945,-159.4605344,59287m/data=!3m1!1e3

My understanding is that when the POA leaves the port of Nawiliwili (Lihue) it sails up the

east side of the island of Kauai past Anahola - Princeville and Hanalei and thence to the Cliffs of Napali

with the port side of the ship first seeing these. Then turning around and leaving the starboard side

has the prime viewing. Note from the image that the Cliffs coastline of Napali are in the northwest corner

of the Island.

The cruise around the southern end of the island passing Poipu - Hanapepe - Waimea would be longer

and then the result would be the starboard side having first dibs on the coast line.

The Napali coast line is orientated in a southwest to northeast direction.

In view of the fact that this is last day/night of the sailing - next port Honolulu and the end of the cruise -

and the distance traveled is not significant (POA operates at putt putt speed all night to arrive Honolulu

in the early am next day) whichever way the sail by cruise of Napali is done makes little difference but

would be a disruption of the normal anticipated route.

So did NCL change the normal route ?

My understanding is after the turn away from the Napali coast the opposite side of the ship sees the

coastline from further out or just maybe it appears that way.

Comments from CC members who have cruised this Napali coast line ?

The map has been like that as long as I recall. Actual experience has been port side first with slow turnaround then sail back a bit farther out.

Things may have changed though so actual, recent reports will be indicative.

Did NCL change the direction of the ship for this sail by or is NCL's site simply wrong? We booked a port balcony anticipating this sail by. The map on the site suggests we want starboard because when the ship is closer to land it is sailing south, not north. I really thought it was the other way around based on everything that I have read to date?

We have done this cruise a few times and if there is no lava flow they will go in opposite direction, so I would keep an eye on the volcano to see if it is flowing close to your date.

Whatever I wouldn't sweat it as the ship will do a turn around so all can see.

We have done this cruise a few times and if there is no lava flow they will go in opposite direction, so I would keep an eye on the volcano to see if it is flowing close to your date.

NOTE !

The topic of the thread was about the viewing of the Na Pali coast line on the island of Kauai.

The lava flow is on the Big Island Hawaii from the volcano Kilauea - this may happen earlier in

the 7 day cruise after departing the port of Hilo.

Just coincidently there is a town; Kilauea, on the northeast coast of Kauai - however no (active) volcanos here.

Interesting read about NA PALI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C4%81_Pali_Coast_State_Park

Interesting read about KILAUEA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C4%ABlauea

Thanks everyone. I seriously don't understand why NCL can't be specific on their site.

Because their website is awful.

When we did the POA, we left port and sailed up the coast with the coast off the port side of the ship. Then we turned around and sailed back again with the coast off the starboard side of the ship.

The coast was considerably closer on the port side then on the starboard side.

The question was about the cruise by the Na Pali coast off of Kauai, not the cruise by the lava flows at the Big Island.

However, you are correct: If the lava is not flowing to sea at the Big Island, the ship will go north-around. You can check this website which will tell you if there is lava activity or not:

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

For a real view of the coast take a water based excursion. The ship sails so far out that you can't really appreciate the majesty of the coast like you can from a zodiac up close.