Safe in Stateroom?

dinojude

We have reserved a Neptune Suite on the Holland America Niew Amsterdam for a cruise later this year. Do you know if there is a safe in that stateroom?

Yes HAL have safes aboard there ships in the closest. And you entry the combo upon placing items in the safe. Enjoy you cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes HAL have safes aboard there ships in the closest. And you entry the combo upon placing items in the safe. Enjoy you cruise.

We have had ocean view rooms in both the Volendam and Zaandam and both safes did not have a key pad. We had to use our room key or credit card and only one person ends up being able to open the safe. EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE SAME ROOM KEY OR CREDIT CARD THE SAFE ONLY READS ONE VERSION. My DH and I do different activities on the ship and find this very inconvenient. We did ask if this could be adjusted and were told no. We did not have this problem on other HAL ships.

I find the safe in the room to be a wonderful thing....the most important thing is to remember to lock it before you leave the room. I am speaking from experience as one who did forget...once.

All was well, the staff was honest and nothing was touched. But believe me, I never forgot it since! I was so embarrassed I forgot to lock it that one time!

Varies by ship & stateroom. NA had the keypad, Volendam had the old magnetic strip type. The old model is small and inconvenient one card-only access. Won' t fit a laptop. (Our friends next door had a keypad.) Our mag strip model malfunctioned requiring someone to come up and reset. Would've been panic time if needed tickets and documents to go ashore at the time it failed. We had a Vista Suite on the Volendam.

We have had ocean view rooms in both the Volendam and Zaandam and both safes did not have a key pad. We had to use our room key or credit card and only one person ends up being able to open the safe. EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE SAME ROOM KEY OR CREDIT CARD THE SAFE ONLY READS ONE VERSION. My DH and I do different activities on the ship and find this very inconvenient. We did ask if this could be adjusted and were told no. We did not have this problem on other HAL ships.

Yes, thatis accurate.

You can use a libary card, ane xpired card, as long as it has magnetic strip

My dH and I used to hide the card and always in the same place every cruise when we needed to use it.

Many, ruises, I unpa cked, put the card in the he would know and sure enougfh, he went to the correct spot to find it. ;0

I always brought the same card. It was an old expired gas company creditr card we had no used for gas in many, many years.

Edited by sail7seas

Varies by ship & stateroom. NA had the keypad, Volendam had the old magnetic strip type. The old model is small and inconvenient one card-only access. Won' t fit a laptop. (Our friends next door had a keypad.) Our mag strip model malfunctioned requiring someone to come up and reset. Would've been panic time if needed tickets and documents to go ashore at the time it failed. We had a Vista Suite on the Volendam.

Even the comb one I used wouldn’t take a laptop any bigger than I pad. Guess were getting spoiled, I remember the days on Sitmar or early Princess you would take valuables tonPursers office to place in a lock box.

One caution on the safes that use a 4-digit keypad. The safe remembers your 4-digit combination only when it is closed and locked. When you open it, it forgets the combination. When you re-lock it, make sure you carefully enter the same combination that you have been using. If you hit one wrong key and press the lock button, it will lock with that erroneous combination and you will be begging the front desk to open it for you. A few times, while in a rush, I have hit the wrong key in the 4 digits to lock it. Luckily, I caught it before I hit the LOCK button.

Even the comb one I used wouldn’t take a laptop any bigger than I pad. Guess were getting spoiled, I remember the days on Sitmar or early Princess you would take valuables tonPursers office to place in a lock box.

Right -- we had to stand in line for the Cunard Countess to take items in and out of a locked box -- and only at certain times.

When you open it, it forgets the combination. When you re-lock it, make sure you carefully enter the same combination that you have been using.
Actually, each time you lock the safe you set a new combination ... which need not be the combo you used before. That's why it's not necessary for a steward or you or anybody to clear "your" combo or reset anything when you vacate the room. Edited by catl331

Actually, each time you lock the safe you set a new combination ... which need not be the combo you used before. That's why it's not necessary for a steward or you or anybody to clear "your" combo or reset anything when you vacate the room.

That was exactly my point. If you routinely use 1111 for your safe combo (for example), and, in a hurry, relock it with 1112, and you don't notice the error, you will be not be able to open the safe.

Yes, thatis accurate.

You can use a libary card, ane xpired card, as long as it has magnetic strip

My dH and I used to hide the card and always in the same place every cruise when we needed to use it.

Many, ruises, I unpa cked, put the card in the he would know and sure enougfh, he went to the correct spot to find it. ;0

I always brought the same card. It was an old expired gas company creditr card we had no used for gas in many, many years.

Great idea, thanks!