What's Going On at Port Everglades?

they are not letting us on board of freedom of the seas. There was a bomb squad truck outside port.

If your heading to port be prepared for lots of traffic and to be shuttled over to the boat. They don’t know how long we will be waiting

Oh my goodness! My family made it to the terminal before they shut it down and took a picture of the bomb squad. At first they said there was a malfunction with the gangway, but maybe that was just a cover story? My husband and I got stopped right before the last stop light and was able to turn around. We are currently at Einstein Bros waiting on updates .

Daughter just texted me, the shuttle bus made it to terminal 29 she is schedule for cruise on Freedom but they won't let them disembark at terminal, shuttle is going to take them back to hotel. cops blocking all access. After this she will probably not attempt to cruise again. As long as she, hubby and granddaughter are safe that is all I care about. Will keep you updated as I hear.

Daughter just texted me, the shuttle bus made it to terminal 29 she is schedule for cruise on Freedom but they won't let them disembark at terminal, shuttle is going to take them back to hotel. cops blocking all access. After this she will probably not attempt to cruise again. As long as she, hubby and granddaughter are safe that is all I care about. Will keep you updated as I hear.

Oh I really hope this doesn't deter her from cruising. Hopefully we can board soon and she will end up enjoying the cruise. This is my BIL first cruise too and I don't think it's a good beginning lol .

Bomb threats or suspicions, whatever this may be, are pretty rare, especially on cruises. They can really happen anywhere. I would hope your family wouldn't write off an entire type of vacation or mode of transport because of such a bizarre, rare event.

Sounds like she and her family are safe. I'm sure security will sweep the ship. Sadly, unless she never leaves the house, avoiding these things would be impossible since it can happen anywhere. She'd never be able to go to a mall, a school, a library, an office building, on a plane, train, bus, subway, public sidewalk, fair, concert, movie....you get the picture. You can't live your life in fear and there's no way to know what might be some lunatic's next target. I hope they have a fabulous cruise.

One of the news stations is reporting on Twitter that a truck carrying supplies to the ship was found to have a large number of explosives ..
I don't see that being likely. There is nothing wrong with an overabundance of caution from the authorities checking out a report like this... But if there were a large number of explosives in the port (or even if they believed it possible or likely) they would immediately move the ships out and close the entire port. The media loves to speculate and create attention for itself... One reason I despise them (one of many).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

The news are saying there are reports of explosives, not that they were found.

There’s two videos of the bomb squad going in full gear to the truck parked by the side of the ship.

The news are saying there are reports of explosives, not that they were found.

There’s two videos of the bomb squad going in full gear to the truck parked by the side of the ship.

Makes me think they really don't think that's what it is... Going in on foot is a suicide mission if it's a truck bomb... And bye bye to Freedom and everyone in the port area too. Approaching on foot is usually the last step to clearing. Hopefully I'm right!

Makes me think they really don't think that's what it is... Going in on foot is a suicide mission if it's a truck bomb... And bye bye to Freedom and everyone in the port area too. Approaching on foot is usually the last step to clearing. Hopefully I'm right!

Just watched the videos... If they are letting the camera person of those posts be THAT close, it's nothing they are concerned about. 100%.

I don't see that being likely. There is nothing wrong with an overabundance of caution from the authorities checking out a report like this... But if there were a large number of explosives in the port (or even if they believed it possible or likely) they would immediately move the ships out and close the entire port. The media loves to speculate and create attention for itself... One reason I despise them (one of many).

Absolutely correct. Billions of dollars sitting in that port. They're not going to risk it.

Just watched the videos... If they are letting the camera person of those posts be THAT close, it's nothing they are concerned about. 100%.

I remember how quickly the Independence was moved during that fire in port.

I remember how quickly the Independence was moved during that fire in port.

Exactly. No way they let a billion dollar ship sit there and people loiter within a few hundred feet if they believed it to be a serious threat.

Bomb squads always err on the side of being extremely overly cautious with evacuation zones and safety.

I’m guessing that since the truck was loading on to Freedom, they are also looking at what was put on to the ship which is why it’s still there.
Not what those amature videos showed, but it is still definitely possible. Someone would have had to seriously dropped the ball to get to that point I'm afraid.