wine pairings on main dining room menu- available to order?

Bobtails12

Hello,

I am hoping someone can clarify something for me. Thanks in advance.

I have been looking at the preismans sample menus for the main dining rooms - and see there are additional fee items that can also be ordered (menu degustation)- and these have wine pairings by the glass.

does anyone know if you have a prestige beverage package can you order these wines by the glass - without choosing the matching courses? as some of these wines seem nicer and not on the by glass list.

thanks

What you are talking about is the La Reserve menu. It is a meal and wine pairing. I imagine some of those wines will be available by the bottle, but with the wine package you ONLY get the ones on the by the glass menu.

If you have purchased the package(not received it as an Olife perk) you will get a 20% off of the La Reserve price.

Hello,

I am hoping someone can clarify something for me. Thanks in advance.

I have been looking at the preismans sample menus for the main dining rooms - and see there are additional fee items that can also be ordered (menu degustation)- and these have wine pairings by the glass.

does anyone know if you have a prestige beverage package can you order these wines by the glass - without choosing the matching courses? as some of these wines seem nicer and not on the by glass list.

thanks

If they are listed on the wine by the glass menu they are covered in the Package

you do not need to order the dish with them

it is a suggestion

I posted some of the drink menus at

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-bnXmLm/i-2hW7ZmG

Thanks for explaining- am trying to see if there is more choice to wines by the glass. As there seems very limited european french wines- even on the european based cruises.

We have the house drinks package included in our potential fares but as we plan our own day trips and will be upgrading to prestige for perrier water( drink about 4-6litres a day) - was wondering what was the choice on included wines - or a greater choice not on the menu.

thanks for the feedback

Thanks for explaining- am trying to see if there is more choice to wines by the glass. As there seems very limited european french wines- even on the european based cruises.

We have the house drinks package included in our potential fares but as we plan our own day trips and will be upgrading to prestige for perrier water( drink about 4-6litres a day) - was wondering what was the choice on included wines - or a greater choice not on the menu.

thanks for the feedback

I did not know they charged extra for Perrier water??

Usually bottled water is included for all

You can buy wine by the bottle (not in the package) but AFAIK all the wine by the glass listed on the menus is included

thanks - so the degustation menu wines - are indeed only available by the bottle?

just for clarification

are you looking at the La Reserve menu or the GDR menu ?

Maybe post a link or photo of the menu you are talking about

just to be sure we are talking about the same thing

Thanks.

I had actually just assumed I would need to upgrade to prestige for Perrier- as that is what was the case with azamara( first time looking at oceania).

I know the basic packages always include a sparkling water - but if you drink a lot of water - you notice the sodium difference. As I don't drink soft drinks or juices - so the water being available matters.

The wines on the degustation menu are typically the regular wines they serve by the glass. You can order them anytime, as long as they are in stock. What’s in stock vs what’s on the wine list is a different conversation.

ORV

On the GDR menu they have Degustation menu where they list wines to pair with certain dishes

What threw me was the OP said "for fee" items, which other than drinks there are no "for fee" items in the MDR. Those prices are the prices of the wine recommended to go with them. If it's those less than $15 or so that will be a by the glass option and available with the basic package.

OP, a little info on the packages. The basic package that comes as a perk with Olife is wine and beer only, and it is only available when you are eating lunch or dinner, or room service from your room. They only include wines by the glass from the respective menu and beer by the bottle or can.

Backing up a little there is no charge on Oceania for any item that does not have alcohol in it. Water, any type they have on board, sodas, coffee, juices, smoothies, virgin drinks, whatever, as long as it doesn't have alcohol in it then there is no additional charge.

If you choose to pay $20 per person per day you can upgrade to the Prestige package and it will include anything that is on the bar menu at anytime they are serving. It also includes all beer and wines by the glass at any time.

thanks ORV.

I actually assumed the degustation menu had both a different food and wine offering than generally available- hence the additional fee.

so if i am understanding this right- then i should be able to pick the food and wine pairings from the menu degustation - without any additional fee if i have the prestige beverage package as the wine is the same as the general wine list and the food is not additionally charged in MDR.

So excuse my stupidity - but how can they charge extra- as wine is available to all at dinner and the food options aren't any different than general menu?

again apologies - if this is obvious and i am just not getting it.

thanks ORV.

I actually assumed the degustation menu had both a different food and wine offering than generally available- hence the additional fee.

so if i am understanding this right- then i should be able to pick the food and wine pairings from the menu degustation - without any additional fee if i have the prestige beverage package as the wine is the same as the general wine list and the food is not additionally charged in MDR.

So excuse my stupidity - but how can they charge extra- as wine is available to all at dinner and the food options aren't any different than general menu?

again apologies - if this is obvious and i am just not getting it.

Not stupid at all, you're just not used to the set up. The key is that wine is NOT available to all at meals. Only those that have either drink package or decide to pay for it.

Yes, if you have a package you can definitely take advantage of the degustation section of the menu. The only food on Oceania that is an extra cost is what I spoke of earlier, in La Reserve, and that is only on the two larger ships.

There is also a private room called Privee that you pay for, but it's really only for the room and private service instead of the food, as the food is from either Polo or Toscana.

The prices listed are for those that may not take either beverage package like us that just pay for what we drink ;)

Oceania will be different than Azamara maybe some good things or maybe not just depends on your wants/needs

Just enjoy Oceania for what it is ;)

absolutely agree- if you never want things to be different then you should never travel and never leave the house. you have to accept things as an experience in their own right( but its nice when they have live up to the sold product too).

just trying to get a handle on finalising our booking and taking into account best way to book packages etc on what we might use.

interestingly the beverage packages have worked out well for us - not because we drink much alcohol but a lot of water. and its funny on here everyone assumes the value in the packages is alcohol- when for me its usually a lot of perrier and espressos - and then a small amount of alcohol that i like - not bathing in stuff i don't like.

thanks for all the help.

absolutely agree- if you never want things to be different then you should never travel and never leave the house. you have to accept things as an experience in their own right( but its nice when they have live up to the sold product too).

just trying to get a handle on finalising our booking and taking into account best way to book packages etc on what we might use.

interestingly the beverage packages have worked out well for us - not because we drink much alcohol but a lot of water. and its funny on here everyone assumes the value in the packages is alcohol- when for me its usually a lot of perrier and espressos - and then a small amount of alcohol that i like - not bathing in stuff i don't like.

thanks for all the help.

well since water & coffees are no extra charge more decisions for you :halo:

yes but then I won't use the excursions or the onboard credit (only 200 offered for both of us combined- 7 days ) really wouldn't cover us to have a glass of wine each a day and a cocktail - so better off taking the house package offered and paying the extra to upgrade so i can have a cocktail or champagne before dinner.

if we don't take the house package - we would not use the other life options - and so for 20 a day we can have a pre or post dinner drink- and the rest is really on the basic package- and as you say coffee and water is included.

i know i see great deals in the states on offer- but obc offered in europe for new customers really means nothing much vs the offered basic drinks that you can upgrade to use more freely

(exception being royal clipper where obc credit (offered to return customers) was used against the very reasonably priced bottles we bought and shared with friends at dinner- but the variety and quality and value of royal clippers drinks is one of the best).

Just another wrinkle, but if I were you I might consider booking without the Olife. You can still get the air without the Olife. Some people new to Oceania think they're combined due to the way the website reads.

It might work out better for you pricewise.

There are a couple misstatements in previous posts.

Read carefully, anything on the bar menu will be included.... specific words! When one walks into the Terrace Cafe or Waves, they will have local beers and certain wines displayed as “special or featured wine ( or beer) of the day. The wine steward will ask , and recommend, you to try the special wine of the day with your meal. Those beverages, even though sitting in front of you are not “on the menu”. Therefore, they come with a cost, even if on the Premium Package. There may be nothing truly special about the beer, other than being local, and certainly nothing about the featured wines, notwithstanding that they are an extra costs , even if on the Packages. Likewise, sometimes local draft beer will be served at the Pool Bar, that is not on the package. One normally has to ask, the waiters don’t volunteer the information.

thanks ORV

we actually have already stripped out airfares - as they were from frankfurt(********** booking) and we are taking the train down and back at our leisure.

but don't think their model is to strip out the olife offers - or if we insisted would be reduced by eur200 obc value not the value of the drinks package- so we wouldn't be any better off.

prices/offers vary by Country it is always helpful when asking questions if you have at least your Country of residence in your profile

If you are a 1st timer with O then the O life perks make sense

for me it did not as we maybe have 1-2 drinks a day do not do ship's tours & have enough OBC from our loyalty perks

we did cruise only fare because it works for US

YMMV

Everyone has to weigh their options & choose accordingly

JMO