Celebrity Equinox Western Caribbean - port or starboard

zabs

Better for what? Sun, shade, docking in the ports, smoke odors?

If you don’t want to smell smoke avoid the port side because they allow smoking on the outside of the 5th deck.

The others are no guarantee of anything. Never know how the ship will dock in the ports.

Traveling you will either have the sun or shade going or comming back during the day unless it rains.

More important is to pick a cabin that has the bed by the balcony or closet and that is a personal thing. I like the bed by the balcony.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• 2 weeks later...
Better for what? Sun, shade, docking in the ports, smoke odors?

If you don’t want to smell smoke avoid the port side because they allow smoking on the outside of the 5th deck.

The others are no guarantee of anything. Never know how the ship will dock in the ports.

Traveling you will either have the sun or shade going or comming back during the day unless it rains.

More important is to pick a cabin that has the bed by the balcony or closet and that is a personal thing. I like the bed by the balcony.

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji560]

How do you know if bed is by the balcony?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The times I have been to Key West on Equinox, the ship went into port facing forward and backed out when it left. Starboard rooms in that case will give you a lovely view of the town. Port rooms will face Sunset Island, still a nice view, but I prefer the town view. There is no guarantee that Equinox will not do the reverse on your cruise and back into port.

As for Cozumel, your view may be obscured by another ship pulling into the dock right beside Equinox. Also, it is never a sure thing in Cozumel if the ship will back into port.

If you are going to Grand Cayman, the ship does not dock. It sits out in the water. Again, there is no way to tell if your room will have a city view.

Are you going on to Cartagena or Aruba? The same uncertainties apply as to how the ship will dock. In Aruba, no ship will dock beside you. They might in Cartagena.

The one certainty is that your balcony will be sunny going in one direction and more shady in the other direction. The angle of the sun in relation to the ship's position can have a big impact on extent of shade. I like a shady balcony myself and also prefer the starboard side to avoid smoke from Deck Five. I don't know if that is a consideration for you.

If you are referring to docking position for views of the port, that is up to the Captain and can change from itinerary to itinerary. If your itinerary is Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, in our experience Key West is typically starboard side to the town, Costa Maya can vary and depends on pier chosen (one of which is perpendicular to land so no advantage there), Cozumel is at an angle to the land and will vary from bow in to stern in, and Grand Cayman is a tender port, so no advantage there either.

In other words there is no "better" side.