Best ways to get from airport to Rome and the from Rome to the port a few days later

bookworm61

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your help. We are 4 people arriving at the airport in Rome in the early AM. What is the best/easiest way to get to our hotel? it is near the Spanish steps. Do you recommend a cab or booking a limo.

A few days later we are leaving on a cruise. I know the port is not nearby. What is the best way to go...again, I assume cab or limo...and what cost should we expect per person.

Thanks!

You can take a taxi from the airport for a fixed fare of 48 euro, anywhere within the "walls" of the city (including where your hotel is located). Really no need to spend more for a private driver.

When going to the port, you can arrange a private car (around 120-140 euro), a shared shuttle (~80-95 euro) or you can take the train to Civitavecchia, which is very economical but much higher on the hassle factor -- there are many posts here on how to do that, if you are interested...

The price is for the vehicle in most cases. Only train, ship's transfers and shared shuttles are typically priced per person. There are dozens of threads recommending methods and vendors here.

Except the shared shuttle prices from Rome to Civitavecchia tend to be per couple, not per person. Something I know well as I usually travel solo and have to pay same price as a couple. :loudcry:

If you are interested, you could also check on your roll call to see if anyone is looking for others to share a van to the port (or organize one yourself). We have done that for 4 trips now and it worked out well... and cut the expense considerably. .We also got to know the others sharing the ride!

Have a great time!

"Best" is a stretch Mercedes limo with a stocked bar! :D

Taxi or car service from airport to your hotel. We used the train from Rome to the port for under 10 euros each - easy ride for about an hour, and the port is the last stop so you can't miss it. We used Romeinlimo to get from port to FCO after the cruise.

Have a great trip! ;)