Terrible embarkation on Gem last week

kristy29

Just wondering, don't they have an O'Sheehans onboard the Gem and would it be open on embarkation day?

Yes, there's an OSheehan's. But service is suspended leading up to and through the Muster Drill.

rbt001, you are right. I was careless when writing "This whole post" when I was responding only to a small part of it: the suggestion made by someone that snacks should be provided to people going to the muster stations (as if people can't survive for 15 minutes without sustenance.). I stand corrected. And I thank you for your excellent response to the original post.

That may very well be the rules but it is clearly not enforced. While I have never seen anyone on their cell phones during muster drill, I have seen people drinking beverages from the bar during muster drill. I can't imagine them objecting to a diabetic nibbling on something either.

I was there ... they took drinks and food away from people before they allowed them into the room

I'm sorry this happened. For other travelers who are significantly delayed leaving out of NY harbor, please note that there is a really good food hall close to the Intrepid called Gotham West Market. That's a good place to kill some time, along with visiting the nearby Intrepid. I'm assuming NCL would let you check your luggage even if the ship is delayed, otherwise it would be inconvenient trying to get around.

I'm sorry this happened. For other travelers who are significantly delayed leaving out of NY harbor, please note that there is a really good food hall close to the Intrepid called Gotham West Market. That's a good place to kill some time, along with visiting the nearby Intrepid. I'm assuming NCL would let you check your luggage even if the ship is delayed, otherwise it would be inconvenient trying to get around.

I’m sailing out of NYC next week. Excellent idea. I’ll drop off my luggage at checking and go explore a little instead of waiting in the terminal.

Thanks!

I’m sailing out of NYC next week. Excellent idea. I’ll drop off my luggage at checking and go explore a little instead of waiting in the terminal.

Thanks!

I do hope this works, but I've not sailed out of NY harbor and can't make you any promises. I'm just assuming that if a ship is delayed they'd be willing to hold the luggage since they'd want to turn over the ship as quickly as possible.

I do hope this works, but I've not sailed out of NY harbor and can't make you any promises. I'm just assuming that if a ship is delayed they'd be willing to hold the luggage since they'd want to turn over the ship as quickly as possible.

Many airlines have policies that limit luggage check-in to x hours prior to flight time. However, it's been my experience with respect to cruise lines, that there have been porters curbside with baggage trolleys/cages as early at 7:30 am.

Many airlines have policies that limit luggage check-in to x hours prior to flight time. However, it's been my experience with respect to cruise lines, that there have been porters curbside with baggage trolleys/cages as early at 7:30 am.

I have no choice but to come in the day of (work reasons). So, got the earliest flight I could.

I figure I should be at the dock sometime around 8:45 or 9:00.

Assuming the porters are there, I’ll just throw them a fiver and check my main luggage (22” role aboard).

This trip I’m trying an experiment. Just a rollaboard and a backpack. No need for a suit, a tie, a sports coat. Just the essentials like toiletries, meds (which I will carry with me), underwear, a couple of pair of long pants, a couple of collared shirts, a few casual shorts, swim trunks, tennis shoes and loafers, workout shorts and Ts. Electronics and sundries go into the back pack.

No airline checked baggage this trip.

At worst, I’ll have laundry done on board. All the basic stuff I may need if the rollaboard gets lost will be in my back pack.

Funny...each new cruise I take I pack less and less. And, I don’t miss what I haven’t packed.

Anyway, my boarding time is noon. That will give me time to grab a coffee or some breakfast nearby.

I have no choice but to come in the day of (work reasons). So, got the earliest flight I could.

I figure I should be at the dock sometime around 8:45 or 9:00.

Assuming the porters are there, I’ll just throw them a fiver and check my main luggage (22” role aboard).

This trip I’m trying an experiment. Just a rollaboard and a backpack. No need for a suit, a tie, a sports coat. Just the essentials like toiletries, meds (which I will carry with me), underwear, a couple of pair of long pants, a couple of collared shirts, a few casual shorts, swim trunks, tennis shoes and loafers, workout shorts and Ts. Electronics and sundries go into the back pack.

No airline checked baggage this trip.

At worst, I’ll have laundry done on board. All the basic stuff I may need if the rollaboard gets lost will be in my back pack.

Funny...each new cruise I take I pack less and less. And, I don’t miss what I haven’t packed.

Anyway, my boarding time is noon. That will give me time to grab a coffee or some breakfast nearby.

Probably one of the most helpful posts I read prior to my first NCL cruise related to the laundry coupon: Wash & Fold for as much as you can stuff in the laundry bag.

At the time I was planning an 11 day Mediterranean cruise embarking in the middle of a month-long trip vacation in Italy. Since you noted your planned light packing, I'll share that I did this trip with just a carry-on. It was winter time, so I could dress in layers and then I used Woolite packs for sink cleaning my rotation of inner-most clothes (undershirt, underwear, socks.) But I expected to use the ship's laundry service as soon as I boarded to properly clean my clothes. Reading about the coupon saved me over $100 because otherwise I would have sent most items out as soon as I boarded, paying the printed price. Holding off a few more days until the coupon arrived, I did for the heck of it, extend the retail pricing of what I turned in for Wash & Fold at $24.95-- it worked out to $155.00.

A couple of cautions... the coupon on 7 day cruises doesn't arrive until day 3 or 4. And depending upon demand, it may take a day or two for the basket to return with your clean clothes.

I must say that each time I've used the service, the clothes come back neatly and carefully folded.

I've sailed once on Carnival and was bumped to Platinum level so I would be eligible for their complimentary wash & fold. While each batch came back with a hand-written greeting to me, which I thought was very nice, the wrinkled thoughtless folding of the clean clothes was a disappointment. NCL does a much better job.

If you're not certain about the coupon for your cruise, ask your room steward who will tell you when it will be offered.

^^^^^^

Thanks! Will check with the cabin steward.

I turn Platinum mid-cruise. So, not sure how that affects laundry perks.

You're Gold now? If so, it means you'll get 50% the bag of laundry this time. For your next cruise you'll be Platinum and a bag of laundry will be free.

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/latitudes-rewards-program

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks!

Graphicguy, have a great cruise! When you come back, let us know if it worked out with checking the luggage and what you were able to explore.