We are booked on Getaway...Now 10 months to fuss over it. NCL vs RCL ??

zdad59

Well, when one cruise line offers 'junior suite' rooms and the other offers 'mini suite' rooms, it's kind of assumed that they'd be somewhat similar in what they offer. To me, junior and mini should be interchangeable. (NCL doesn't offer junior suites on the Getaway, or judging by what I've seen on their website, on any of their ships.) But I guess that's on me because we know what happens when we assume.

Yeah, NCL uses mini-suite but there is nothing suite about them. Many people who aren't used to NCL might see "suite" and think it is something more than a deluxe balcony (it isn't, really).

Either way, it's just not a good system. I understand that Vibe is exclusive, but there are better ways they can handle it other than a mad dash to the guest services desk.

Every possible scenario is...bad for someone. As it currently is, those with priority boarding don't have to arrive early and don't have to run for a pass and it's potentially even easier for Haven guests.

Once RCL bookings moved to Gwatamla from the U.K. it went down hill, we had tickets for Florida when going to Far East, The Chinese cruise we last went on was an utter disaster, people leaving at Hong Kong and abandoned the cruise, RCL have never responded to any communication from us about this disaster.

I will only trust P&O & NCL now

Thanks for the tip on that. I'll keep this in mind when booking any future cruise.

Well, when one cruise line offers 'junior suite' rooms and the other offers 'mini suite' rooms, it's kind of assumed that they'd be somewhat similar in what they offer. To me, junior and mini should be interchangeable. (NCL doesn't offer junior suites on the Getaway, or judging by what I've seen on their website, on any of their ships.) But I guess that's on me because we know what happens when we assume.

Sorry, looks like I mis-typed there.

Funny, because that was the check-in time my parents had selected. But it wasn't until we got into the terminal that we realized that there's a difference between check-in time and boarding time. I'm accustomed to checking in, and then making your way to the ship. That's how it's been on my experiences with both Carnival and RCL. Clearly that's not how they do it on NCL. Which is fine, but some information beforehand would have been nice. Which I put on NCL because there was nothing mentioned about it in our cruise documents or their website. Either way, it's still kind of garbage that if you want to get a pass to the Vibe Beach club, instead of having to rush to guest services once you get on the boat and then waiting around for a few hours for your stateroom (as I thought it was), you're actually waiting around in the terminal for a couple of hours to get on the ship and then still rushing to guest services, in hopes of getting a pass and still waiting around afterwards for your stateroom to open. Either way, it's just not a good system. I understand that Vibe is exclusive, but there are better ways they can handle it other than a mad dash to the guest services desk.

This is actually a good option. I wish I had known about it beforehand. Which is completely my fault because I didn't do enough research before the cruise. Had I known that, I might have enjoyed the cruise even more. I did enjoy the cruise, I know that the negativity probably makes it sound like I didn't, but I still stand by that I prefer RCL over NCL at this point.

So OP, considering that you have a spa room it seems that you'll have access to the spa and a nice quiet area to relax, although it doesn't sound like it'll be the 'quiet sunshine place' you'll be looking for. Just a quiet place at least.

If your check in time on rcl is early enough you can't just walk on the boat either. The royal cruises I've been on start boarding at 11 more or less. Which is my experience with NCL too. The two times with royal I arrived around 10 I sped through check-in but still had 20-30 minutes to wait after it before they started boarding.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk