What "non-typical, touristy" things did you find to do?

parentsof5

Just try walking, A block away from the tourist strip is big difference. Ketchikan, there's a very interesting store near the tunnel by the ship docks. mix of grocery, marine supply and tourist junk. About half the people were locals.

anyone know the name of this place referenced above? or street name??

Sweet. Thank you. We're renting a car in Juneau and doing some shore fishing on our own. I know where we'll be having lunch!

the first time i took the lovely ms b-d there she looked at me "really?" it's not a scenic destination. Kind of dumpy like the taverns she used to take me to in Wisconsin.

get the cod, unless you were raised thinking mrs paul's fish sticks were fine dining. Halibut (everywhere, not just here) is often going to be too dry. A friend has a commercial halibut permit and uses cod for bait. He doesn't have a license to sell cod so I get friended cod in exchange for smoked ribs, butt, and home made pastrami. We both smile.

You can buy your fishing license online at https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/Store/ you can buy for a single day or seasonally. It'll save you time as every sporting goods shop or hardware store always gives the job of issuing licenses to the newest, least trained employee.

You'll have wheels and you're not going to catch anything so ........... go to Jerry's Meats & Seafood. Get crackers as the seafood dips they make are ............ In the same strip mall is one of the best hardware stores in SE. They'll give you the skinny on Juneau bank fishing. Pink or Orange Pixies, all the secrets I got

A hold out in the tourist district (I miss the Armadillo Cafe) is the Triangle Club. Watch AK politics in action over a game of pool, a good hot dog and a beer. Right next to the Wm. Spears Gallery (also a must do).

Or ..... across the bridge in Douglas is the Island Pub. Better than decent pizza, great view, and it's not juneau

@bottom-dragger...I saw some pictures online. I won't be scared. LOL.

It's true that we MAY not catch anything but hope springs eternal, especially when fishing is involved so you just never know. It would definitely help to have some local information about the current conditions IF said locals are willing to share...so thank you for the lead on those who might share with us.

I've been stalking fishing forums, etc., and the pink is definitely something I've read about before. DH has been doing his homework as well...so we might just try our hand in the morning...based on the tides and his own hunch from what we can gather and then hit up the hardware store for help for the evening round.

The great view of Island Pub just might sway me for lunch now...we're thinking to hit up Douglas Island in the morning...

And thanks for the lead on Wm Spears. There's some entertainment on his site. Not sure how much shopping we will do but his craft looks like it would make a great souvenir of our Juneau day.

the first time i took the lovely ms b-d there she looked at me "really?" it's not a scenic destination. Kind of dumpy like the taverns she used to take me to in Wisconsin./quote]

This made me laugh!!!

These are some great tips!

Juneau is one place that doesn't really excite me, although of course there are plenty of things to do there. However, the more I read about the Treadwell Mine in Douglas, across the river from Juneau (and maybe a part of it, technically; not sure), the more I want to go. There apparently isn't much left of the mining community, but it sounds interesting for an easy hike. Here's a link to a blog someone wrote:

https://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2017/05/juneau.html

Although it sounds like a bus goes there in about 15 minutes from downtown Juneau, it's best to rent a car. If you're scheduled to dock at AJ dock, there should be Avis and Juneau Car Rentals close by. If you dock farther away, you need to walk or get a ride up there. The airport has car rentals, but I ruled them out due to hassles and price, when you factor in transportation on a Sunday (taxi, probably).

I wrote away for a Juneau booklet from traveljuneau.com. It's amazing - lists SO much - from a gin distillery you can visit to food trucks to $700 floatplane excursion to see bears. There's a phone app for traveljuneau also, and a post somewhere here on CC Alaska boards about Shrine of St. Therese, Alaska Brewing Company, etc. While these are not world class sights, they might be fun to visit. But Juneau can have tons of cruise ships at once - for car rentals, I would book early.

anyone know the name of this place referenced above? or street name??

Front St. Look at Google maps, large white building just above 2nd cruise ship. Tongass Trading company / Tongass Dock Store

In Hoonah stop by Misty Bay Lodge and get some Halibut Pizza if they still have it. We stumbled into this place by accident a few years back.

In Juneau stop by Pel Meni for a snack of some Russian Duplings. They are delicious and while it is close to the docks there were only locals in there. Then again last time I was there Tracy's Crab Shack was literally a shack!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g31020-d787469-Reviews-Pel_Meni_s-Juneau_Alaska.html