What "non-typical, touristy" things did you find to do?

parentsof5

We have always found great ideas for the not typical, non-touristy activities by searching the forums. Maybe something the locals do, something you stumbled upon, etc. Wondering about what you have found.

Specifically, we will be hitting Hoonah, Skagway, Juneau, Anchorage, Palmer, but anything would be welcome since others will be reading I hope.

Just try walking, A block away from the tourist strip is big difference. Ketchikan, there's a very interesting store near the tunnel by the ship docks. mix of grocery, marine supply and tourist junk. About half the people were locals.

In Skagway, rent a car and drive past Emerald Lake (just IMO - meh) to the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town.

Between Anchorage and Palmer, stop at the Native American village of Eklutna and visit the cemetery next to the old Russian church, where you'll see the colorful "spirit houses" over the graves.

copyrighted_image_reuse_prohibited_810727_34f673fe7d23c7dfd530cacd8cd21c6f0cde94e9.jpg

If you're interested in souvenirs, the best Native crafts in Anchorage are to be found at the Native Medical Center's gift shop. If you walk around the halls a bit (to the extent you're allowed) the various art works on display are fab. http://anmc.org/patients-visitors/craft-shop/

In Skagway, rent a car and drive past Emerald Lake (just IMO - meh) to the Robinson Roadhouse ghost town.

Between Anchorage and Palmer, stop at the Native American village of Eklutna and visit the cemetery next to the old Russian church, where you'll see the colorful "spirit houses" over the graves.

copyrighted_image_reuse_prohibited_810727_34f673fe7d23c7dfd530cacd8cd21c6f0cde94e9.jpg

If you're interested in souvenirs, the best Native crafts in Anchorage are to be found at the Native Medical Center's gift shop. If you walk around the halls a bit (to the extent you're allowed) the various art works on display are fab. http://anmc.org/patients-visitors/craft-shop/

Exactly what I was looking for. I have done tons of reasearch, and for the most part you see the typically listed over and over. I did just read about the hospital, so am glad you reiterated this.

Just try walking, A block away from the tourist strip is big difference. Ketchikan, there's a very interesting store near the tunnel by the ship docks. mix of grocery, marine supply and tourist junk. About half the people were locals.

Absolutely. Stumbling on things is always good.

We are on our own.

Sometimes avoiding "crowds" of tourists will mean encountering "crowds" of locals trying to avoid the tourists...

I like Pioneer Falls off Knik River Road. There's climbing the Butte. There's the 1 mile loop trail with viewing tower at Reflection Lake. There's the Scout Ridge overlook at Cottonwood Creek.

The visitor center in Palmer has some great vegetables on display. There's Hatcher Pass.

you want me to tell you of non touristy spots on a touristy site? sorry

i could tell you of a restaurant in Sicily where everyone sings Johnny Cash songs, but I won't.

the Sand Box in juneau for cod and chips.

Wow - seriously!? I dont use forums to get "schooled" by any one. I have been utilzing both CC for 15 years, and TA for longer and found just the type of thing I have described, so asked.

There are almost always those spots that are gems that are not covered by "every" report out there that make the trip that more special.

I did a two week road trip of interior Alaska last year. An interesting place we stumbled onto was the Eagle River Nature Center at the end of Eagle River Road east of, ahem..., Eagle River - just north of Anchorage about half way to Palmer. We were just driving at random seeing what was "down that road". I'm pretty sure we were the only non-locals there when we were. The actual nature center was closed (we were there about 8-9 PM but it was WAY daylight) but there are walking trails and several wooden viewing platforms over the river - the scenery is pretty special and spectacular. We saw our first moose of the trip on the side of the road on our way there. There was a few dollar parking fee (you put the money in an envelope and drop it in a collection slot) but otherwise it's free. We saw several people there with their kids and dogs - obviously locals.

My other favorite thing to do is pick a local "mom & pop" restaurant to eat. In Anchorage and close to downtown we saw a place called "Rosco's" that had barbecue. Perfect! (We picked it because of a friend of our's named Rosco... Ha Ha). In Glennallen we saw a little Thai hut selling food to go - the best Pad Thai I've ever had and they are pretty close to the middle of nowhere! Who would have guessed? It was also CHEAP!!!! Even for Alaska. We also had Mexican food at a "local" place in some random suburban area of Anchorage. Interesting. Only locals were there - we definitely stood out.

Good luck!

I will second the suggestions for Hatcher Pass. It is enjoyable any time of year. Eagle River Nature Center was one of the first places I ever visited in the Anchorage area. I love going out there. There is also Arctic Valley on the way north from Anchorage. It is fun to hike up there. Eklutna village and the lake are both fun. At the lake they have equipment rentals and also some good hiking. The idea to go to the Alaska Native Medical Center is a good one. I have given and received some lovely gifts from their gift shop. In Anchorage, there is an interesting place to eat and drink called Bernie's at the corner of 7th and D. In the warmer months they have live music outside. I think their food is reasonably priced for the area.

Before our first cruise, my parents gave us the following advice. "When you get to port, pay attention to the where the majority of tourists go and then head in the opposite direction" Not sure all locales would be the safest but not bad advice. Seems like you get a "real" flavor for the area and not so touristy.

Wow - seriously!? I dont use forums to get "schooled" by any one. I have been utilzing both CC for 15 years, and TA for longer and found just the type of thing I have described, so asked.

There are almost always those spots that are gems that are not covered by "every" report out there that make the trip that more special.

wow seriously??!! I just hinted to you of one of the more unique spots in juneau.

I did a two week road trip of interior Alaska last year. An interesting place we stumbled onto was the Eagle River Nature Center at the end of Eagle River Road east of, ahem..., Eagle River - just north of Anchorage about half way to Palmer. We were just driving at random seeing what was "down that road". I'm pretty sure we were the only non-locals there when we were. The actual nature center was closed (we were there about 8-9 PM but it was WAY daylight) but there are walking trails and several wooden viewing platforms over the river - the scenery is pretty special and spectacular. We saw our first moose of the trip on the side of the road on our way there. There was a few dollar parking fee (you put the money in an envelope and drop it in a collection slot) but otherwise it's free. We saw several people there with their kids and dogs - obviously locals.

My other favorite thing to do is pick a local "mom & pop" restaurant to eat. In Anchorage and close to downtown we saw a place called "Rosco's" that had barbecue. Perfect! (We picked it because of a friend of our's named Rosco... Ha Ha). In Glennallen we saw a little Thai hut selling food to go - the best Pad Thai I've ever had and they are pretty close to the middle of nowhere! Who would have guessed? It was also CHEAP!!!! Even for Alaska. We also had Mexican food at a "local" place in some random suburban area of Anchorage. Interesting. Only locals were there - we definitely stood out.

Good luck!

Love this!

I will second the suggestions for Hatcher Pass. It is enjoyable any time of year. Eagle River Nature Center was one of the first places I ever visited in the Anchorage area. I love going out there. There is also Arctic Valley on the way north from Anchorage. It is fun to hike up there. Eklutna village and the lake are both fun. At the lake they have equipment rentals and also some good hiking. The idea to go to the Alaska Native Medical Center is a good one. I have given and received some lovely gifts from their gift shop. In Anchorage, there is an interesting place to eat and drink called Bernie's at the corner of 7th and D. In the warmer months they have live music outside. I think their food is reasonably priced for the area.

If course I should have asked you! Thanks!

Before our first cruise, my parents gave us the following advice. "When you get to port, pay attention to the where the majority of tourists go and then head in the opposite direction" Not sure all locales would be the safest but not bad advice. Seems like you get a "real" flavor for the area and not so touristy.

Great thought!

On one of our trips we hiked Lower Dewey Lake in Skagway. The hike begins very close to where the ships dock. It was a beautiful day, wildflowers everywhere and the mountains reflecting off the lake were just beautiful. I’ve been to alaska 4 times....going again this summer...and done just about every kind of excursion and yet this hike isn’t one of my favorite memories.

On one of our trips we hiked Lower Dewey Lake in Skagway. The hike begins very close to where the ships dock. It was a beautiful day, wildflowers everywhere and the mountains reflecting off the lake were just beautiful. I’ve been to alaska 4 times....going again this summer...and done just about every kind of excursion and yet this hike isn’t one of my favorite memories.

I'm going to believe that's a typo and that the hike IS one of your favorite memories? This is our Skagway plan...hiking up to Lower Dewey Lake. I've read there's picnic tables up there. Can you confirm that?

I'm going to believe that's a typo and that the hike IS one of your favorite memories? This is our Skagway plan...hiking up to Lower Dewey Lake. I've read there's picnic tables up there. Can you confirm that?
http://skagway.com/travel/maps/

The hiking trail map shows "picnic areas."

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app