Carnival drinks packages and food

Hi CC's

I havent cruised on Carnival for a few years, been cruising with other lines

We have a cruise coming up in few months to cuba on Paradise

We normally purchase a a non-alcoholic package on other lines, but i understand Carnival doesnt do these, the packages usually work out value for us, however wondering the most cost effective way of getting the drinks we like, while keeping our drinks bill as low as possible?

we are not not big soda drinkers maybe 1 a day, but more bottled water, sparkling water, fresh juice (maybe 1 a day but not essential), and a least 3/4 to for barista coffes per day.

If anyone can give me their expirience and the price of drinks,or point me in the right direction, and how they best manage this

Also i know this is about perception, and food on cruises has changed alot over the years, but how is the food in general on carnival these days?

for what its worth i find the food on smaller ships to be better quality than the big ships no matter what the cruise line

Thanks

Edited by nbhwarrior

You can pre-order a case of water that will be waiting for you when you get to your cabin. Other then that I don't see why you should worry about the cost of drinks, unless your a specialty coffee drinker too. They still have free iced tea, lemonade and your normal juices like orange and I think cranberry? Have fun

Hi CC's

We normally purchase a a non-alcoholic package on other lines, but i understand Carnival doesnt do these, the packages usually work out value for us, however wondering the most cost effective way of getting the drinks we like, while keeping our drinks bill as low as possible?

we are not not big soda drinkers maybe 1 a day, but more bottled water, sparkling water, fresh juice (maybe 1 a day but not essential), and a least 3/4 to for barista coffes per day.

If anyone can give me their expirience and the price of drinks,or point me in the right direction, and how they best manage this

Also i know this is about perception, and food on cruises has changed alot over the years, but how is the food in general on carnival these days?

for what its worth i find the food on smaller ships to be better quality than the big ships no matter what the cruise line

Thanks

Food is subjective. What one person likes, another may not, and vice-versa. In general, the food served on Carnival is good. If you're ever served something you don't particularly like, you can always ask for something else. Carnival has a "Bottomless Bubbles" package that you might want to look at. It includes some of the things you're asking about. Here is the link that provides detailed information: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3836/~/bottomless-bubbles-%28unlimited-soda-program%29

Edited by beachbum53

Carnival has "Bottomless Bubbles" which gets you sodas and juice for $7.50 pp/day but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. Have you checked out the in-room beverages you can purchase through the FunShops? You can get a 12 pk of water for like $4.50, plus there is some soda and juices, though juices look limited and you can get juices free in the morning.You can bring on canned beverages - I think up to a 12 pk, so that's an option as well for your sparkling water. You can no longer bring on your own regular bottled water though. Regular 0.5L bottles of water are around $1.50-2.00, and Perrier 8oz is around $3+ (I'm not sure what 2018 prices are). Nothing else I've found seems to help with the barista coffees though. I think the coffee drinks run up to about $4 depending on what you get but I'm really not sure.

If you are only drinking 1 soda a day, why not pick up a 12-pack before you board and/or bring one on from a port? You can also buy cans at the bar. Lot less expensive than the package.

Best drink prices are likely at the self-serve beer kiosk, or the Red Frog brand beer. Just pay as you go, since Carnival only has one drink package option, it is ridiculously expensive, and all adults in the cabin must buy if anyone does.

Thanks guys

No Coffee Card?

Yes, there is a coffee card for specialty coffees. My wife typically gets it, because she likes lattes. If I remember correctly, after you buy "X' number of coffees (I think it's 6), your next one is free. At least, that's what it is on a 7-day cruise. It may be different on shorter cruises. I drink regular coffee from the buffet. It's free, so I don't need a coffee card.

My answers below:

Hi CC's

Carnival does offer a soda & juice package, but you are correct it wouldn't meet your needs. Carnival allows up to 12 cans/or cartons (like juice pouches) of 12 oz or less per passenger, but no bottled beverages (except 1 750ml bottle of wine per pax over 21 - I don't know if they would allow alcohol removed wines or sparkling grape juice).

Bottled water can be purchased for in-room delivery @$4.50 for 12 bottles (think they are 16.9 oz). We use these for shore excursions but are fine with tap water throughout the day - sometimes add powdered flavor packets that we bring on-board. Since you have cruised Carnival before, you should also receive a 1L bottle of water in room per past passenger (might arrive late first day, don't use unless they say they are your complimentary bottles.

We aren't big coffee drinkers, but I think they offer a card (buy 5 get 6th free). Depending how much you want to save, you can also make your own with lido coffee & hot chocolate for a cheap mocha, or soft serve and coffee for a free frappe.

We found Guys and Blue Iguana to be significantly better than the main buffet options. There were a few buffet options quite good (little cc or pb cookies, breakfast potatoes & breakfast muffins). The omelet station does nice fresh cooked to order eggs. MDR was hit or miss for us, atmosphere I think detracted from the taste if that makes sense. I've heard very good things about the steak house. I would expect a smaller ship to generally be better food, although not necessarily within the same line.

Thanks