Anyone rented oxygen machines for their cruise?

Technically this isn;t a HAL question, but I figured there might be more experience with this here :D. One of my traveling companions requires supplemental oxygen when sleeping. She has a big machine at home, and the company is supposed to ensure she has oxygen wherever she goes, but they are not being very cooperative for our Alaska trip (DIY land, 7 day cruise, then one night in Vancouver and 2 nights Seattle). If she can't work it out w/ her company, she may need to rent at least for the cruise portion (can go a few nights without it but not 15 nights).

Anyone ever used Special Needs at Sea or Scootaround (the only vendors HAL will take shipments from) for oxygen? I believe Scootaround will ship to the hotel so she could get it for the whole trip, not sure if SNS would. Any other suggestions?

Good morning,

Only certain vendors are allowed on the ship so your regular oxygen supplier can't deliver. We live in NW Washington and my husband uses oxygen supplied through Lincare. For cruising I use Scootaround and have been very happy with them. They deliver the concentrator to the cabin (as well as tanks when he was using tanks - he has a portable concentrator now). You do have to be careful about how many tanks you order because you do not get a refund if they aren't used. Scootaround will deliver to wherever you are - hotel, etc. You might have her check with her insurance about what will be covered. The cost has to be paid upfront (credit card) and then I have to apply for reimbursement. We have 13 cruises done with oxygen, scooter, and even walker rental so ask away if you have more questions!

Karen

My DW has used Special Needs at Sea on 20 HAL cruises for a portable oxygen concentrator that is in the stateroom when we arrive and is retrieved after we have departed the ship.

Special Needs at Sea also has a locker of replacement parts/concentrators located in Housekeeping when needed.

Complete the required HAL form to let them know your oxygen use and then contact Special Needs at Sea with information for delivery.

I could not get the form on the HAL website to work today, so I told her to call or email.

I will tell her to check w/ her insurance (she is not on Medicare, only 56 YO). Not sure if they will pay for the home machine (her plan is $500 per month) plus rental for a portable concentrator. I know Medicare doesn't (read that today). Seems to me it would be cheaper for her company to provide the portable unit rather than have to arrange with several companies to provide a unit for all our moving around (since they say they are supposed to provide oxygen wherever she goes).

Renting a POC (portable oxygen concentrator) will cost about $250.00 a week. Since you are going to be gone longer than a week you may be charged another week.

Another concern is flying. If you fly the airlines require that you have enough batteries to cover the flight time plus 50%. So for a 2 hour flight you should have enough battery to last for 3 hours. There should be a list of approved POC's on the airline website (I think the FAA has the list too) Also, there is a form for whichever airline you fly that your doctor needs to fill out. You doctor assures them that you are in good enough condition to fly and what flow rate you use and the POC you will be bringing onboard. The cruise line probably has a form too. I've fill those out but no one at the embarkation port seems to interested in it.

I've done this many times. Before I went on medicare my insurance home care provider would loan me an extra travel POC and extra batteries. Since medicare, my provider (different one) will not loan me the extra POC if I am flying overseas. I don't know why. Both providers provide me with a stationary home unit and a POC. So I am looking at purchasing a POC and extra batteries for my next flight/cruise. I like having 2 POC's so that if one quits I have a spare.

With both flying and cruising getting through security is or can be a pain. TSA tends to get worried when they see a device full of wires. Ship security is less of a pain. Once on the plane/ship, no one seems concerned about it. However I will inform the flight crew that I have a POC and that I may turn it on during the flight ( the things usually make a loud beep when first turned on). I'm just saying that if you are flying be prepared for secondary screening going through security. I've spent as long as about 45 minutes with TSA while they try and figure out what to do. Other times they just ask about it and send me on my way. In San Francisco the TSA employee wanted to know if I could open it up. I told him no, it wasn't mine and I had no tools. Ultimately they have to let you through with an FAA approved POC.

Have a great cruise! I seem to breath better on a ship in the ocean.

Thanks for the info ZN1300. She only needs the oxygen when she sleeps, so no need to use it on the plane. Her home care provider only provides the big home unit. They don't have any portable units and are balking at buying one for her to use. Her contract says they are supposed to provide her oxygen wherever she goes. Seems it would cost them less to just buy a POC (at cost) rather than having to arrange with other companies to make the big units available in Alaska, Vancouver and Seattle, but what to I know??? I told her to call her ins co (not Medicare) and ask if they would pay for the rental through Sccotaround if her home care company refuses to deal with her.

Thanks Roger and ZN1300 for valuable information. Since our last cruise together my mom has been put on night-time O2. We're booked on the 14-day Alaska cruise; at the $250/wk cited, buying a POC is an even proposition, and she could use it on other overnights like a travel trailer trip we're planning next month.

If the doctor's letter/form says she only needs it at night, would she need all the batteries I wonder.

I will be looking for the FAA/HAL approved list first thing tomorrow! Thanks again for all the tips; I was planning to ask my PCC when I called to pay next week, but now I'll have my ducks in a row when I discuss it with her.

Thanks Roger and ZN1300 for valuable information. Since our last cruise together my mom has been put on night-time O2. We're booked on the 14-day Alaska cruise; at the $250/wk cited, buying a POC is an even proposition, and she could use it on other overnights like a travel trailer trip we're planning next month.

If the doctor's letter/form says she only needs it at night, would she need all the batteries I wonder.

I will be looking for the FAA/HAL approved list first thing tomorrow! Thanks again for all the tips; I was planning to ask my PCC when I called to pay next week, but now I'll have my ducks in a row when I discuss it with her.

Each airline is different. United requires the O2 prescription be written no later than ten days before the flight which is a big problem for making the return flight after 14-day travel.

Southwest requires a prescription be dated within one year of the flight They also require the extra battery and the POC is required to be on the reservation. The prescription and battery will be checked several times before boarding. The airline has rules and the local agents will not bend.

Check with the airline for their O2 policy before purchasing your tickets.

My DW has a Sequal Eclipse 5 whose A/C capability has failed which meant it could only run on batteries and could not charge the batteries. So when buying the extra battery make sure you purchase the battery charger. If a strong flow rate is not needed, suggest a smaller version be purchased. Good luck on getting insurance to cover the $2500+ POC.

This list is from America Airlines website and I'm sure HAL would be fine with any of them. When you call HAL they may just make a note of it without having forms to fill out. Your airline most likely will want the form. America Airlines has even called me a few days before the flight and asks questions.

List of approved POCs to use inflight Expand

• AirSep LifeStyle - RTCA sticker required
  • AirSep FreeStyle
  • AirSep Free Style 5
  • AirSep FOCUS
  • (Caire) SeQual eQuinox/Oxywell 4000*
  • Devilbiss iGO
  • GCE Zen-O
  • Inogen One
  • Inogen G2
  • Inogen One G3
  • Inogen One G4
  • Inova Labs - Lifechoice - (model number XYC100)
  • Inova Labs LifeChoice Activox
  • Invacare XPO2 (models XPO100 and XPO100B)
  • Invacare Platinum Mobile Concentrator (models POC1-100B and POC1-100BA)
  • Invacare SOLO2
  • Oxlife Independence
  • O2 Concepts Oxlife Independence
  • Oxus, Inc. RS-00400 POC
  • Precision Medical EasyPulse
  • Respironics Inc's EverGO
  • Respironics SimplyGo
  • Respironics SimplyGo Mini
  • SeQual Eclipse models 1, 2 and 3**
  • SeQual Eclipse 3 or 5 - 1000B*
  • SeQual SAROS**
  • Vbox Trooper

POCs you can’t use inflight

FAA Regulations prohibit the use and transportation of other personal oxygen units, including those that contain compressed or liquid oxygen because they are classified as hazardous materials.

POCs must be free of oil, grease or other petroleum products, in good condition, free from damage or other signs of excessive wear or abuse.

*Approved for use on American mainline aircraft. Approved on a case-by-case basis on Envoy aircraft.

**SeQual Eclipse (models 1000, 1000A, and 1000B) and SeQual Eclipse SAROS may not be used on Republic Airlines. These models are too large to fit under the seat for use on board the aircraft. These models may be transported in the cabin as assistive devices and stowed in the overhead compartments but cannot be used on board the aircraft.

As far as having your doctor say you only need it at night, I don't know. I just know what they say on the website ( which is a standard for air travel).

During your flight, you can only use portable oxygen concentrators (POCs) approved by the FAA. You must notify Reservations at least 48-hours before your departure, and a special assistance coordinator will contact you before your flight to verify your device.

Requirements for traveling with an approved POC

Before you board, check in at the gate so an agent can:

• Test that you can operate the POC and respond to its alarm
  • Explain the phases of the flight when the POC will be operable
  • Check your supply of fully charged batteries to power the POC no less than 150% for the duration of the flight and ground connection time (including unanticipated delays)

Additional requirements:

• POC must fit underneath the seat in front of you
  • You can't sit in an emergency exit, bulkhead or any seat that blocks another passenger's aisle access if you have a POC inflight
  • You may use your POC while moving about the cabin as long as the "fasten seatbelt" sign is not illuminated

Last November we did a cruise from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale on the Pacific Princess. I contacted them by phone to get the form. No matter how long I tried I could not get one. My travel agent couldn't get one. We didn't want to fly to Venice only to be denied boarding. It was really stupid. Back and forth for days on end.

Finally I made my own form. Copied and pasted the Princess header on to a word doc. Then I copied and pasted most of the information from the airline form leaving out unnecessary information ( like if I needed oxygen for taxi, take off, inflight and landing). Had my doctor sign it and off we went. On boarding no one and I mean no one asked for a form. Not security, not the crew, no one.

My concern about the need for oxygen and flying is this. With COPD, at least my version of it, is that altitude or elevation has an adverse affect on my O2 levels. Airlines only pressurize the planes to about 6000 to 8000 ft. which is like sitting on top of a mountain. Air is pretty thin up there. So if you already have breathing problems they will/may become worse at altitude. I would ask your doctor to see if he/she would recommend using oxygen in flight.

Also, the airlines do not allow plugging any medical device into the electrical power that may be provided at your seat. Thus the need for plenty of batteries.

The SeQual Eclipse 3 or 5 on rolling cart barely fits under the seat in front of you and leaves no room for your feet. If you have to make any battery changes, you must lift it into the narrow area between your seat and the seatback in front of you which takes a lot of physical strength and physical dexterity.

ZN -- My mom flew as recently as December with no supplemental O2. Since then she has quit smoking (YAY!) and I question whether she even needs the night oxygen. I'm hoping she will get re-overnight-tested between now and then.

I wonder if you had a "home O2 bar" non-listed machine, packed in a checked bag -- would it be allowed in stateroom? I know no one is likely to be able to answer this. That is the "about break-even" purchase, not the $1250-2500 listed devices.

Edited by crystalspin

ZN -- My mom flew as recently as December with no supplemental O2. Since then she has quit smoking (YAY!) and I question whether she even needs the night oxygen. I'm hoping she will get re-overnight-tested between now and then.

I wonder if you had a "home O2 bar" non-listed machine, packed in a checked bag -- would it be allowed in stateroom? I know no one is likely to be able to answer this. That is the "about break-even" purchase, not the $1250-2500 listed devices.

There was a time I didn't need supplemental O2 when flying. Then after an especially bad exacerbation flare-up that changed. A Spirometry test is a big indicator of your need for supplemental O2. Because of my test results my insurance pays for my concentrators and I get a handicap placard (which is why my wife wants me to go places with her).

You can purchase a pulse oximeter to monitor the O2 saturation during flight and/or doing any other activity. They sell them for $15.00 and up on amazon (walmart and walgreens too). If her saturation drops into the 80's she should have supplemental O2. But I'm not a doctor and certainly not hers.

I'm not sure which 'home O2 bar' you are talking about. The O2 bars I see on the web have a limited session time, not enough to get through the night. As long as the device doesn't have batteries you could probably get by putting it into your checked bag. But you never know if TSA will remove it.

I would never put any medical device or medicines into my checked luggage. Last year, landing in Venice for a transatlantic, one of our bags didn't arrive when we did. While going through the process of reporting the lost bag another traveler with a missing bag told me his bag had all their medicines.

ZN. You are exactly right about altitude. If you need oxygen at night you definitely need it on airplane. My Dr. Keeps me on a 2 at rest, told me to do 3 while flying!

I usually rent from Care Vacations, but either will do. Medicare will not pay for medical needs out of Country as far as I know. We are off for a 11 day Cuba cruise and I have to pay for my equipment. I have purchased my own portable concentrator, but rent room one and a scooter from them. Keep On Cruising!:cool:

If you need to use a POC in flight, be sure it has FAA type-acceptance or the airline will say "Sorry".

They tend to get ...inflexible about breaking FAA safety-of-flight regs.