MDR - Men

wardy86

In warm climates I board the ship in shorts and wear them to the MDR for our early TD seating and don't have any problem. While Princess would have everyone believe that the manner of dress on the ship in the evening is upscale, the truth of it is most maitre'd don't want an ugly confrontation with a paying pax. So unless they are way out of the dress code (swimming suit, ragged clothing) they grin and bear it.

Last cruise on the third formal night, DW woke me up and told me to get ready. I quickly dressed and we went to the TD MDR. It was not until we were waiting for our main course that I realized I was wearing jeans and a polo shirt and it was formal night. I enjoyed my meal as always.

As if that won't start a new uproar from some. I just wish Princess would revise the so called dress code to meet what most cruisers really want and would happily go along with.

They won't consider it. They prefer to remain ambiguous about the issue thereby collecting profits while at the same time turning a blind eye to those that wish to dress to the minimum standards.

You can sell many more overpriced drinks & photo's to people in suits & tuxes then dressed in short sleeve shirts & dockers.

Love those shorts at dinner, at least on the first & last nights.

Now if Princess could only get with the rest of the cruise lines & allow them on all casual evenings in the DR it would be great.

Sorry, still not going to support shorts at night in the DR. rest of the cruise lines? To my knowledge only NCL/Carnival really allow that. Some RCCL ships do as well, but still rare across their fleet.

They won't consider it. They prefer to remain ambiguous about the issue thereby collecting profits while at the same time turning a blind eye to those that wish to dress to the minimum standards.

You can sell many more overpriced drinks & photo's to people in suits & tuxes then dressed in short sleeve shirts & dockers.

We stopped having pics take a few years ago. Liked the fact there were NO annoying photographers on Oceania.

Sorry, still not going to support shorts at night in the DR. rest of the cruise lines? To my knowledge only NCL/Carnival really allow that. Some RCCL ships do as well, but still rare across their fleet.

You probably said something similar 20 + years ago when they still had formal, semi formal & casual evenings. :D

Things change every year as the public demands and the cruise lines have to go along or lost business to the competition.

We stopped having pics take a few years ago. Liked the fact there were NO annoying photographers on Oceania.

But yet the newbies still pose for them like it'll be their last photo. ;)

We never have encountered an annoying photographer. When they appear wanting to take our picture, a quick no or even shake of the head and they move on. We also have never bought any pictures from them.

We never have encountered an annoying photographer. When they appear wanting to take our picture, a quick no or even shake of the head and they move on. We also have never bought any pictures from them.

Some are better than others. We've taken our share, & now just decline them.

You probably said something similar 20 + years ago when they still had formal, semi formal & casual evenings. :D

Things change every year as the public demands and the cruise lines have to go along or lost business to the competition.

But yet the newbies still pose for them like it'll be their last photo. ;)

Only been cruising for about 15 years. Started on Cunard went to Celebrity/Princess/Oceania. Perhaps some couples like to have a "formal" Portrait done. Looks better on the fireplace mantel than pics from a flea market!

Only been cruising for about 15 years. Started on Cunard went to Celebrity/Princess/Oceania. Perhaps some couples like to have a "formal" Portrait done. Looks better on the fireplace mantel than pics from a flea market!

It's no wonder your dissatisfied with how some people dress on Princess. You've went from the dressiest cruise line to a mass market line & expect people to conform similarly.

It's not going to happen.

It's no wonder your dissatisfied with how some people dress on Princess. You've went from the dressiest cruise line to a mass market line & expect people to conform similarly.

It's not going to happen.

Cunard IS mass market(unless in the Grills)Their shtick is adherence to formal dress codes. Other than that they're pretty much like Princess. In fact they are "managed" by Princess. They are now trying dumb down their dress code & it's really causing mayhem on their site. We chose Cunard because we went with a group of over 50 pax & this was the line chosen. We were on the QM2 during it's first 6 months of operation. Due to the fact my business requires I take my vacations in the winter, I stopped doing Cunard in 2012. I did like the classy atmosphere of the QM2, but switched to Mostly Celebrity. When their food quality drastically dropped(below Princess in my opinion)we tried Oceania. We loved the food & the fact that "Country Club" casual meant NO jeans/shorts/t shirts in the venues(except buffet)at night & pax seemed to know what smart casual was really about, made it a nice fit for us. The fact that it costs $7500 for 2 means it's NOT a permanent fit. We'll do Princess & Celebrity as well. Do keep me updated on Princess food. The Regal buffet was still the best I ever saw at sea.