MDR - Men

wardy86

Hi All

First time Princess later this month. Are men OK in slacks and a polo t-shirt in the MDR on an evening?

Thanks

Princess has suggested dress guidelines on their website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Suggested but not mandatory.

Yes, not mandatory. We were on the Regal in January and saw a couple turned away at the dining room. It was the second night. They were both wearing shorts. The head waiter was discreetly talking to them on the side, but all of us entering knew what was going on. They both looked very embarrassed passing the people entering.

In our many cruises, it’s hit and miss with what’s allowed in the dining room. It doesn’t ruin my experience with others attire.

Yes, not mandatory. We were on the Regal in January and saw a couple turned away at the dining room. It was the second night. They were both wearing shorts. The head waiter was discreetly talking to them on the side, but all of us entering knew what was going on. They both looked very embarrassed passing the people entering.

In our many cruises, it’s hit and miss with what’s allowed in the dining room. It doesn’t ruin my experience with others attire.

Of course there are minimum standards that have to be set on any cruise ship as these people found out.

The suggestions are given to let people know what might be acceptable as some folks have absolutely no idea what to expect on a cruise ship.

The main thing they seem to reject on men is shorts at dinner although on one cruise on the west coast I did see men entering the MDR on non-formal night in shorts. Jeans/dockers with a collared shirt will work but have seen tshirts as well. I have worn flip flops to the MDR on non-formal nights and have seen other men doing the same without any problem.

Minimum for men on "formal night" is pants/dockers and a button shirt with collar. Some of us have been wearing short sleeved guayabera shirts which are quite comfortable and somewhat elegant. Athletic shoes are allowed all nights which is great for those of us older types that have foot and walking problems.

The main thing they seem to reject on men is shorts at dinner although on one cruise on the west coast I did see men entering the MDR on non-formal night in shorts. Jeans/dockers with a collared shirt will work but have seen tshirts as well. I have worn flip flops to the MDR on non-formal nights and have seen other men doing the same without any problem.

Minimum for men on "formal night" is pants/dockers and a button shirt with collar. Some of us have been wearing short sleeved guayabera shirts which are quite comfortable and somewhat elegant. Athletic shoes are allowed all nights which is great for those of us older types that have foot and walking problems.

I've been wearing T shirts for years on casual evenings and never had any problems.

Hi All

First time Princess later this month. Are men OK in slacks and a polo t-shirt in the MDR on an evening?

Thanks

Probably. The Maître D may frown on a polo t shirt on formal nights, so at least make sure you pack at least on dressier type shirt. Check the Princess web site, rather than what the pax on this blog say.

On the April 29th departure from San Francisco on the Grand Princess, during one of the non-Formal night dinners, I know for sure that I saw a very under-dressed gentleman come into and was seated in the Club Class section MDR. He was wearing a polo shirt and shorts with athletic shoes. Definitely not truly "smart casual," but he was not turned away at the door.

On the April 29th departure from San Francisco on the Grand Princess, during one of the non-Formal night dinners, I know for sure that I saw a very under-dressed gentleman come into and was seated in the Club Class section MDR. He was wearing a polo shirt and shorts with athletic shoes. Definitely not truly "smart casual," but he was not turned away at the door.

All depends on whether the Maître D wants to enforce the code. Some do some don't. The athletic shoes don't bother me(as long as they're not ratty looking)some pax need them for foot issues. I bought these "Margaritaville" boat shoes at Sam's club. Damn things were not even $25. Not what I wear on formal nights, but smart casual nights they were fine & really comfy. As to shorts, yeah, that's where I draw the line. Fine during the day, but at night I at least wear Dockers/Khaki type pants & a collared shirt on smart casual & nice slacks with sport coat. That's how we dressed on Oceania recently & we pretty much blended in fine.

Probably. The Maître D may frown on a polo t shirt on formal nights, so at least make sure you pack at least on dressier type shirt. Check the Princess web site, rather than what the pax on this blog say.

If that were the case then there would be no need for this thread at all.

People could just read what they find on Princess's web site & wear a dark suit with a tie & be done with it.

People want the reality of what happens on a Princess ship and that doesn't reflect it for the most part -- of course there are the extremes like shorts and such but that's a rare case.

If that were the case then there would be no need for this thread at all.

People could just read what they find on Princess's web site & wear a dark suit with a tie & be done with it.

People want the reality of what happens on a Princess ship and that doesn't reflect it for the most part -- of course there are the extremes like shorts and such but that's a rare case.

Like it or not, this blog is always biased one way or the other. By your own admission you & a few of the others always say the dress code is seldom enforced. I doubt pax only go by what the web site says any way.

Like it or not, this blog is always biased one way or the other. By your own admission you & a few of the others always say the dress code is seldom enforced. I doubt pax only go by what the web site says any way.

Oh, but it is enforced, right down to the description of what is minimally acceptable. It's just not advertised that openly. If you look hard enough you'll find their dress code is very lenient.

Princess like to advertise their ship as being of the more formal variety, unlike most of the mass market cruise lines in order to increase revenues. (which on formal nights are much higher...ie. drinks, photo's, specialty restaurants bookings) 🤑

The reality is that the so called dress code is seldom enforced despite what some onhere would post. All anyone has to do is take a cruise an Princess to verify that. Whether you like or agree with this reality does not change anything. Princess has decided how to carry out how people dressfor the evenng meals.

it is generally acceptable for men to wear shorts on the boarding day and last night in the mdr..last time on the Regal, a couple of men behind us were wearing shorts on the second night (princess cay day) and I nodded to a "white jacket", he came over and explained that they would be let in anyway, but not for the rest of the nights of the cruise, until the final night

not sure if they had on "ratty" shoes..:rolleyes:

Oh, but it is enforced, right down to the description of what is minimally acceptable. It's just not advertised that openly. If you look hard enough you'll find their dress code is very lenient.

Princess like to advertise their ship as being of the more formal variety, unlike most of the mass market cruise lines in order to increase revenues. (which on formal nights are much higher...ie. drinks, photo's, specialty restaurants bookings)

Not often I'll agree with Potstech, but he's right. The dress code really isn't well enforced. I mean obvious things such as bathing suits & the like, but we're talking average reason. Most Maître D won't put up much of an argument(we don't want to upset paying customers routine)I think some gauge the clientele & make a judgment call.

Edited by keithm
additions

it is generally acceptable for men to wear shorts on the boarding day and last night in the mdr..last time on the Regal, a couple of men behind us were wearing shorts on the second night (princess cay day) and I nodded to a "white jacket", he came over and explained that they would be let in anyway, but not for the rest of the nights of the cruise, until the final night

not sure if they had on "ratty" shoes..:rolleyes:

It's normally not acceptable. Princess & some other lines allow it for the reason that some pax say their luggage is late. Not so sure I'd buy that line after the ship has left. In that case, it meant the luggage never arrived. I'm sure it can happen, but not often. As to ratty shoes, it's pretty obvious...When I wear sneaks etc. I make sure they're in good shape. The crappy ones for work in the garden..well those stay home.