When is Celebrity Coming to Port Canaveral

stevenr597

However, in the case of Disney they have been able to achieve what many thought was impossible. Provide an upscale cruise...

After finally taking our first Disney cruise (aboard the Disney Fantasy for 7 nights last Thanksgiving), my assessment is that Disney is not an “upscale” product. We had a wonderful time, and Disney truly shines with their excellent customer service, stage entertainment, and children activities, but everything else is at par (and some times worse) than what mass-market cruise lines that charge a fraction of Disney’s prices offer. This is not a cruise line for those seeking an upscale experience, but for people enamored with the Disney brand and who are willing to pay a hefty upcharge in order to enjoy it at sea.

Although we wanted to experience what Disney had to offer and enthusiastically booked this cruise, we are not Disney fans so I believe that my thoughts about this cruise line may be a bit more objective than those of the many rabidly fanatic, frequent Disney-only cruisers that we encountered onboard, and who seemed to overwhelmingly outnumber those of us who were Disney first timers or who frequent other cruise lines.

My belief is that Disney fans do look at the Disney product through rose colored glasses (sprinkled with pixie dust) which, in their eyes, makes the experience seem better than it truly is. Countless times, I read (and heard from friends), that Disney has the best “everything” and that I would never be able to sail on any other cruise line after that. While Disney does excel in several departments, they are hardly the best option for cruisers who genuinely seek an upscale experience.

About the comment concerning turning down a free Disney cruise, I would never do such a thing and would gladly sail on them again. But if the money to pay for the cruise is coming out of my pocket, chances are overwhelmingly high that I would select a different cruise line, specially if I’m seeking an upscale or luxury experience. You can enjoy some truly adult luxury on Disney if you choose to pay extra for Palo or Remy (which we did) but that’s about the extent of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

After finally taking our first Disney cruise (aboard the Disney Fantasy for 7 nights last Thanksgiving), my assessment is that Disney is not an “upscale” product. We had a wonderful time, and Disney truly shines with their excellent customer service, stage entertainment, and children activities, but everything else is at par (and some times worse) than what mass-market cruise lines that charge a fraction of Disney’s prices offer. This is not a cruise line for those seeking an upscale experience, but for people enamored with the Disney brand and who are willing to pay a hefty upcharge in order to enjoy it at sea.

Although we wanted to experience what Disney had to offer and enthusiastically booked this cruise, we are not Disney fans so I believe that my thoughts about this cruise line may be a bit more objective than those of the many rabidly fanatic, frequent Disney-only cruisers that we encountered onboard, and who seemed to overwhelmingly outnumber those of us who were Disney first timers or who frequent other cruise lines.

My belief is that Disney fans do look at the Disney product through rose colored glasses (sprinkled with pixie dust) which, in their eyes, makes the experience seem better than it truly is. Countless times, I read (and heard from friends), that Disney has the best “everything” and that I would never be able to sail on any other cruise line after that. While Disney does excel in several departments, they are hardly the best option for cruisers who genuinely seek an upscale experience.

About the comment concerning turning down a free Disney cruise, I would never do such a thing and would gladly sail on them again. But if the money to pay for the cruise is coming out of my pocket, chances are overwhelmingly high that I would select a different cruise line, specially if I’m seeking an upscale or luxury experience. You can enjoy some truly adult luxury on Disney if you choose to pay extra for Palo or Remy (which we did) but that’s about the extent of it.

I think you did a good job in summing it up.

Comparing the Oasis to the Disney, one can probably find as many things to do on the RCCL ship as on the Disney, and save approximately 25%. The only negative we had with Oasis was the quality of the food.

With that being said, Disney markets a product based on its image. It is a cruise for families that are really going because they (the parents) have a great time we they see their children happy. They are willing to pay a premium price for that.

But my initial point is that it was said that Pt. Canaveral can only have ships and cruise lines that offer a deep discount. I stated that Disney and even RCCL proves that this idea is not correct in that both Disney and RCCL cruises are in many cases more expensive than an "equivalent" cruise on "upscale" lines such as Princess and Celebrity.

I think you did a good job in summing it up...

But my initial point is that it was said that Pt. Canaveral can only have ships and cruise lines that offer a deep discount. I stated that Disney and even RCCL proves that this idea is not correct in that both Disney and RCCL cruises are in many cases more expensive than an "equivalent" cruise on "upscale" lines such as Princess and Celebrity.

Thank you!

We live in Georgia and for us, Port Canaveral is within the distance we are willing to drive for a cruise. Miami and Ft Lauderdale are not. So we are willing to pay extra to sail from Port Canaveral in order to avoid the hassles and the cost of flying. It’s been my experience pricing cruises out of the major Florida ports that Port Canaveral many times command higher prices than the others. It’s not only convenient for people vacationing in Central Florida pre or post cruise, but also for those of us who drive. The demand is there for higher prices.

The only segment where I’ve found deep discounts out of Port Canaveral is on the short Bahamas getaways, but even when you find a good deal on those cruises, chances are that similar sailings on similar dates out of south Florida will be even cheaper.

The M class ships are in excellent condition and still pretty nice. They fill a market need and are worth the investment. As for Port C. Royal and Disney seem to the same prices they do in other ports. Celebrity would do well there. Since they have committed to keeping the M class ships another 10 years the fleet will be growing as the Edge class ships come into service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The M class ships are in excellent condition and still pretty nice. They fill a market need and are worth the investment. As for Port C. Royal and Disney seem to the same prices they do in other ports. Celebrity would do well there. Since they have committed to keeping the M class ships another 10 years the fleet will be growing as the Edge class ships come into service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "M" Class ships would be an excellent fit for Port Canaveral. It would provide individuals who wished to fly into Central Florida in place of South Florida, another product which would be more "upscale" thought not necessarily cheaper than RCCL and NCL. Perhaps Celebrity would consider giving it a try.