When is Celebrity Coming to Port Canaveral

stevenr597

Just read the Celebrity has recommitted to Jacksonville. Have they ever given any consideration to Pt. Canaveral. The port is located right in the center of Florida, and can be reached quite easy from Orlando International Airport which is now the busiest airport in Florida. The Port has excellent facilities, brand new terminals, and excellent parking. Of course it is within driving distance of the Kennedy Space Center, Disney, Seaworld and Universal.

It seems a natural for Celebrity to base a ship there.

Just read the Celebrity has recommitted to Jacksonville. Have they ever given any consideration to Pt. Canaveral. The port is located right in the center of Florida, and can be reached quite easy from Orlando International Airport which is now the busiest airport in Florida. The Port has excellent facilities, brand new terminals, and excellent parking. Of course it is within driving distance of the Kennedy Space Center, Disney, Seaworld and Universal.

It seems a natural for Celebrity to base a ship there.

Celebrity only has a finite number of ships and are put where they make the most money, doubt you will see anything in PC.

Where did you get info they are going to Jacksonville.

I keep hoping that any major cruise line will someday port out of Savannah. Jacksonville and Charleston have proven to be very successful for Carnival. Savannah would be the closest port to the largest metropolis in the south: Atlanta.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I honestly feel Celebrity will go back to either basing a ship year round in Bayonne or seasonally from a West Coast port such as LA/San Francisco/San Diego before they ever consider basing a ship, even seasonally, from Port Canaveral.

Port Canaveral is more of a "drive" market, budget/value conscious consumer base than the South Florida ports are. Markets like Tampa, Jacksonville, Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, Charleston and Baltimore are also all price sensitive "drive" ports that do not generally attract the market demographic that Celebrity is trying to attract.

Celebrity tried Charleston for one or two seasons before the Mercury left the fleet, along with Baltimore - they had to discount heavily to fill the ship in most cases, so I doubt regional homeports like those would come back any time soon. I also don't think that Savannah has ever hosted a ship as a homeport and there is not a proper setup for a cruise terminal. AFAIK there are currently no ships with Savannah as a port of call either.

It will be interesting to see what Celebrity does as the fleet grows the next few years. Given the significant investment being made in the Millennium Class vessels I expect them to stick around at least a decade more.

Port Canaveral is more of a "drive" market, budget/value conscious consumer base than the South Florida ports are. Markets like Tampa, Jacksonville, Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, Charleston and Baltimore are also all price sensitive "drive" ports that do not generally attract the market demographic that Celebrity is trying to attract.

Have you priced a Disney cruise lately? There are plenty of people who would happily sail out of Canaveral and pay premium prices to do so.

Very interesting. An average of $45 million being spent on what appears to be cosmetic upgrades to ships pushing twenty years old. Hope the ship's infrastructure ( piping, mechanical, and structure) are in decent shape.

I honestly feel Celebrity will go back to either basing a ship year round in Bayonne or seasonally from a West Coast port such as LA/San Francisco/San Diego before they ever consider basing a ship, even seasonally, from Port Canaveral.

Celebrity tried Charleston for one or two seasons before the Mercury left the fleet, along with Baltimore - they had to discount heavily to fill the ship in most cases, so I doubt regional homeports like those would come back any time soon. I also don't think that Savannah has ever hosted a ship as a homeport and there is not a proper setup for a cruise terminal. AFAIK there are currently no ships with Savannah as a port of call either.

It will be interesting to see what Celebrity does as the fleet grows the next few years. Given the significant investment being made in the Millennium Class vessels I expect them to stick around at least a decade more.

Just as an FYI, when they put the ship in Bayonne, it was also highly discounted.

Agreed with all I wish they would put a celebrity ship back in Charleston! I understand basing a ship year round at any east coast port (not in S. Florida) doesn’t seem to work, but what about just a few cruises a year from Charleston or Baltimore?

I think if the summit didn’t go straight from San Juan to Bayonne there could be a few cruises added from a port like Charleston, Port Canaveral, Baltimore ect.

Have you priced a Disney cruise lately? There are plenty of people who would happily sail out of Canaveral and pay premium prices to do so.

That’s a rather unique situation as the parks are so close by.

In general the Disney Cruise clientele are not your typical cruiser. They are Disney People first, cruisers second. It’s a totally unique and different clientele

Just as an FYI, when they put the ship in Bayonne, it was also highly discounted.

That is true. The Silhouette was heavily discounted.

However the year round NY/NJ cruise market has had some time to develop as has the Celebrity client base. At this point I am skeptical that they would return to winter cruising from Bayonne, however I do feel it would be more likely to happen before they base anything from Port Canaveral

Also RCCL Oasis, NCL Epic, Carnival Magic are not on the budget spectrum cruising out of Port Canaveral. It's my back yard....and it is cheaper for me to cruise Princess out of Ft Lauderdale and Celebrity out of Miami. The only budget cruises out of Port C is one of the old Carnival ships.

That is true. The Silhouette was heavily discounted.

However the year round NY/NJ cruise market has had some time to develop as has the Celebrity client base. At this point I am skeptical that they would return to winter cruising from Bayonne, however I do feel it would be more likely to happen before they base anything from Port Canaveral

Sailing out of NY/NJ in the winter always seemed like a dumb idea to me. There is just too much of the cruise spent sailing in cold weather trying to get to warm weather.

Sailing out of NY/NJ in the winter always seemed like a dumb idea to me. There is just too much of the cruise spent sailing in cold weather trying to get to warm weather.

We sailed out of Bayonne a few years back in Jan. Of course the first evening out was cold, but by the next morning we were enjoying the hot tubs and the morning after that we were poolside. Cruises out of NY/NJ in the winter are typically at least 10 days, so there is plenty of time to enjoy warm weather. I for one would love a Celebrity ship in this area year round!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

People can forget about Charleston with their completely outdated terminal. Carnival is there, period. They've been trying to et permission for ears to build a new terminal, but there is a lot of local opposition to it. In fact, they would like to see the no cruise ships there.

That’s a rather unique situation as the parks are so close by.

Their prices are absurd even out of the other ports they leave from besides Port Canaveral. You can take two Celebrity cruises of an equivalent time for one Disney Cruise.

Wow, where do some folks get their information?

CARNIVAL has just re-committed to Jacksonville where they have been sailing from for many years, not Celebrity.

Cruises out of Port Canaveral are hardly all for the budget-minded. We paid quite handsomely for our Oasis of The Seas cruise last year compared to what we have paid previously for cruises out of For Lauderdale and Bayonne.

And someone needs to explain to my bank account that when Celebrity sailed out of Charleston that I paid a deeply-discounted fare. Hardly the case. I would love to see X come back to Charleston as I am 20 minutes from the port. It is a very small, albeit vocal minority that have fought against our local cruise business. Primarily its a bunch of snotty elitists that moved to Charleston from up north and are obsessed with fighting against tourism. To me, it is not unlike moving to Orlando and complaining about the tourists. No logic whatsoever.

Cannot imagine X would sail from Jax... there are ship size limitations with respect to the port vs bridge positioning

The ship Carnival sails from Jax is older and tired...for SHORT 4 day turnaround

Until Jax expands the port on the other side of the Dames Pt Bridge and deals with dredging etc... it is what it is...

Wow, where do some folks get their information?

CARNIVAL has just re-committed to Jacksonville where they have been sailing from for many years, not Celebrity.

Cruises out of Port Canaveral are hardly all for the budget-minded. We paid quite handsomely for our Oasis of The Seas cruise last year compared to what we have paid previously for cruises out of For Lauderdale and Bayonne.

And someone needs to explain to my bank account that when Celebrity sailed out of Charleston that I paid a deeply-discounted fare. Hardly the case. I would love to see X come back to Charleston as I am 20 minutes from the port. It is a very small, albeit vocal minority that have fought against our local cruise business. Primarily its a bunch of snotty elitists that moved to Charleston from up north and are obsessed with fighting against tourism. To me, it is not unlike moving to Orlando and complaining about the tourists. No logic whatsoever.

Absolutely right about Charleston. We hate having the old Carnival ships here no matter how they dress them up but the port fights are ongoing with no end in sight.

Bermuda cruises from Charleston would work given the distance

and Carnival has this route a couple of times a year

I keep hoping that any major cruise line will someday port out of Savannah. Jacksonville and Charleston have proven to be very successful for Carnival. Savannah would be the closest port to the largest metropolis in the south: Atlanta.

Carnival mostly does Bermuda or the Bahamas out of Charleston. I'd love to see X or RCL go from there or Savannah but they'd need to be longish cruises to reach into the Carib.

When was Celebrity in Charleston? The current terminal has been used for cruises for only about 5 years old - was there something before that for cruise ships?