Passport

Hot Hockett

I am going out of country and on a cruise in Europe. Since there are so many helpful people here, i figured i would ask. how do you go about getting the documents for a passport? We don't need it till about june, but i don't want to not have one when the time comes. Thanks

I am going out of country and on a cruise in Europe. Since there are so many helpful people here, i figured i would ask. how do you go about getting the documents for a passport? We don't need it till about june, but i don't want to not have one when the time comes. Thanks

When I got mine, I had to go to the big City Post office and get the form. Go to a special place to get the passport photo. Go back to the big city Post Office and be "interigated" by a very up tight civil servent:(

When I got my DH's this past summer, we just got the photos at the Wal-mart. Than went to the local post office with his BC and filled out the form and handed over the money:)

Since the passport requirements are changing all the smaller post offices are offering the sevice. At least here in Michigan.

:confused: I certainly didn't feel that I was being 'interrogated' when I got my passport.

I took my birth certificate with me, and went to the post office. A nice lady gave me a paper to fill out, which took about 2 minutes. She took my photograph, I paid my money, and I left. Three weeks later, my passport was in my mailbox. Very simple. (The photos were only a coupla dollars more than WalMart, and much easier to do it all at one time.)

Hey Hot Hockett

Good thing to plan ahead. Are you asking about a passport or other documents, like a visa? If you are talking about a passport all the above info is perfect. If you need a visa, and I doubt that you do in Europe, check with your travel agent for guidance.

You have the link to the Passport Application form. Get a long form certified copy of your (each for family members) birth certificate. Go to a place: Walmart, Walgreens, AAA, etc. for two black & white photos apx. $7. Fill out the forms and sign. Write a check for the amount necessary and photocopy everything including the birth certificate, which you keep "just in case" of loss. Mail all of the above to your nearest regional passport office (except the copies). Here in New England we have Boston and Portsmouth, NH. It should then take about 4 weeks for processing. Of course if you wish, you can try to locate a Post Office that offers on-site Passport processing service. Our local PO just started offering this service in 2005.

Bon Voyage

Hot Hockett - If I remember correctly from your Elation review, you're my son's age. There are special requirements for an under-18 passport (including having both parents appear in person [with photo ID] with you when you apply or having written permission from the absent parent). Son just renewed his passport this year prior to our Conquest cruise; we went to the county courthouse with the documents and photos and it was processed smoothly. You'll get a five-year passport rather than the 10-year passport issued to over-18s. The good news is, five years from now it will be relatively easy to renew.

I'm glad you've had the opportunity to travel as much as you have. It's a great experience! I thought to mention the special requirements for under-18 because we learned the hard way when son was 10 and Dad took him to the UK on a business trip while I stayed home with younger sons. While son had a perfectly good passport, he didn't have a letter from me acknowledging the trip, and the immigration folks really gave them a hard time. BTW, HH, you're a very good writer - I enjoyed your Elation review!

wow, i have a fan... YES!!! haha well my mom was glad to hear about all of this and we are going to go get it soon. We're going to Italy and Greece and taking a Greek cruise on Louis Hellenistic Cruise Lines (i think. i wasn't told, but i did the research and with our ports, that is probably what it is) I can't wait and i need to get all of the minor, which could become major, things out of the way to get ready, even though its in June.

wow, i have a fan... YES!!! haha well my mom was glad to hear about all of this and we are going to go get it soon. We're going to Italy and Greece and taking a Greek cruise on Louis Hellenistic Cruise Lines (i think. i wasn't told, but i did the research and with our ports, that is probably what it is) I can't wait and i need to get all of the minor, which could become major, things out of the way to get ready, even though its in June.

You'll have a great time. No need for visas for Italy and Greece as of now. Get your passport and if both mom and dad are going you are set. If not make sure to have the letter from whichever is staying home saying it is OK to go and OKing any needed medical treatment that might happen on your trip.

Your reports have been great!

Archived