Symphony 13th May 2018 review and compass

Thanks for the review and for the cruise compasses!!! I’ve been waiting to see more compasses, since the only ones on line are from the inaugural sailing.

I have a few questions:

How was your boardwalk balcony room interns of noise? And did the Abbys have a negative effect on your view?

Did you go on the water slides?

How was Johnny Rockets?

Did you partake in activities?

How did the makeup of cruisers effect your cruise?

Thanks!! Sorry for bombarding you with questions [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the review and for the cruise compasses!!! I’ve been waiting to see more compasses, since the only ones on line are from the inaugural sailing.

I have a few questions:

How was your boardwalk balcony room interns of noise? And did the Abbys have a negative effect on your view?

Did you go on the water slides?

How was Johnny Rockets?

Did you partake in activities?

How did the makeup of cruisers effect your cruise?

Thanks!! Sorry for bombarding you with questions [emoji23][emoji23]

No, that’s fine.

One night I had to ask them to turn the film off as it was after 12.30 at night and no one was watching. There are two aqua shows on that last till 11.45pm but didn’t bother me too much as I just watched telly on my iPad.

Wasn’t that fussed with the Abyss there. It would of been nicer without it but wouldn’t stop me from booking another Boardwalk balcony.

I didn’t get to go on the water slides, as the day I thought I’d do it was quite chilly and very breezy. They did look awesome and not much of a queue though this may change the hotter the weather gets.

Johnny Rockets is Johnny Rockets. It’s fried food and is greasy. Only went due to being something different and have free cover charge.

I was dancing to the 80’s night on the Promenade. That was great fun. I was also on the guys who had to fill in the blank on ‘Blankety Blank’. I got a inaugural baseball cap for doing that. I really wanted to go to ‘Battle of the Sexes’ but it was on at midnight and Rome was out next port so it was an early rise and shine.

They did all the adult themed activities at midnight which I thought was a bit stupid when you have ports that we arrive in early to. Again, I think this was a Med thing.

If I’m honest, the Chinese are the rudest people I have ever met either on the ship or off it. They barge pass everyone without excusing them self, they will get to the lifts before anyone else, whether you have been waiting longer or not. They are just not nice. I’m sure they are not all like that but the majority, unfortunately, were.

There is a massive mix of nationalities. Everything is explained in English first and then Spanish. It’s just not the same for when I go across the water and do a Caribbean cruise. It’s more relaxed and more fun.

I’d go on a Med cruise for the ship and ports but never for the people.

Hope I’ve answered your questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great Pictures!!! Do you by chance have pictures of the menus?

Thanks

I don’t I’m sorry. I’m not really a foody person so didn’t think about that.

Thank you for everything you posted. You have been a tremendous source of valuable information for me. I love the photos and the Daily Compass. I can now see what my day could possibly look like and you also provided information on how we can get around when we reach each port. I am ready to sail with confidence...THANK YOU again

No, that’s fine.

One night I had to ask them to turn the film off as it was after 12.30 at night and no one was watching. There are two aqua shows on that last till 11.45pm but didn’t bother me too much as I just watched telly on my iPad.

Wasn’t that fussed with the Abyss there. It would of been nicer without it but wouldn’t stop me from booking another Boardwalk balcony.

I didn’t get to go on the water slides, as the day I thought I’d do it was quite chilly and very breezy. They did look awesome and not much of a queue though this may change the hotter the weather gets.

Johnny Rockets is Johnny Rockets. It’s fried food and is greasy. Only went due to being something different and have free cover charge.

I was dancing to the 80’s night on the Promenade. That was great fun. I was also on the guys who had to fill in the blank on ‘Blankety Blank’. I got a inaugural baseball cap for doing that. I really wanted to go to ‘Battle of the Sexes’ but it was on at midnight and Rome was out next port so it was an early rise and shine.

They did all the adult themed activities at midnight which I thought was a bit stupid when you have ports that we arrive in early to. Again, I think this was a Med thing.

If I’m honest, the Chinese are the rudest people I have ever met either on the ship or off it. They barge pass everyone without excusing them self, they will get to the lifts before anyone else, whether you have been waiting longer or not. They are just not nice. I’m sure they are not all like that but the majority, unfortunately, were.

There is a massive mix of nationalities. Everything is explained in English first and then Spanish. It’s just not the same for when I go across the water and do a Caribbean cruise. It’s more relaxed and more fun.

I’d go on a Med cruise for the ship and ports but never for the people.

Hope I’ve answered your questions.

Thank you for answering all of my questions!

Adult activities at midnight is really weird...we were on the Disney Magic on the Med two years ago and adult activities were the regular activities at the regular time. But maybe it’s different people on a Disney Cruise...half of the ship were Americans.

So you were able to enjoy the ship despite being irritated by fellow cruisers?

Thank you for everything you posted. You have been a tremendous source of valuable information for me. I love the photos and the Daily Compass. I can now see what my day could possibly look like and you also provided information on how we can get around when we reach each port. I am ready to sail with confidence...THANK YOU again

You’re welcome. You’ll have a fab time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for answering all of my questions!

Adult activities at midnight is really weird...we were on the Disney Magic on the Med two years ago and adult activities were the regular activities at the regular time. But maybe it’s different people on a Disney Cruise...half of the ship were Americans.

So you were able to enjoy the ship despite being irritated by fellow cruisers?

The Med cruises are definitely a different clientele to the USA and Caribbean cruises.

You’ll enjoy the ship whoever is on it. [emoji41]

love your review and pictures!

thanks for taking the time!!

really annoying about them not having quest, love and marriage, etc.

i wonder if they have some of the things they do at midnight in the hopes that the non-english speakers won't show up that late....

love your review and pictures!

thanks for taking the time!!

really annoying about them not having quest, love and marriage, etc.

i wonder if they have some of the things they do at midnight in the hopes that the non-english speakers won't show up that late....

Not sure, just not the right clientele.

While I was on the Symphony I booked Adventure for 8 night Southern Caribbean in Dec 2019. At least I’ll get the shows then. Ha ha.

I was in 10321 which was a Boardwalk balcony cabin (bed by the balcony) and had a fantastic view.

Ooooo, we're in 10319! Does that mean our bed will be by the door?

Do you remember which nights were formal nights?

Thanks for all the pictures

Edited by Chester & Brewster

Not sure, just not the right clientele.

While I was on the Symphony I booked Adventure for 8 night Southern Caribbean in Dec 2019. At least I’ll get the shows then. Ha ha.

quest is actually a lot better on the smaller ships...

or rather, if you like to participate, quest is better on the smaller ships....that's what my daughter tells me anyway...

if you like to observe (like me), it's more crazed on the big ships...

although i probably say that because the only big ship i was on was the allure when ken rush was running quest....

crazed doesn't come close to a ken rush run quest....more like lewd, crude and rude....exactly what quests meant to be.....

as for the chinese, if you mean the chinese chinese....as in coming from china for the cruise - that's the reason i won't go on any cruises that originate from a china port....

but i hadn't realized they cruise the med on royal ships..

i assumed the largest group would be spanish....and lots of europeans of various and sundry origins...

but had you asked me to guess at who was on board, i certainly wouldn't have thought to mention anyone from china....

i guess it's true it would be difficult to run quest or love and marriage...

but i agree with you - how could a belly flop competition be a problem? maybe it wasn't hot enough?

or maybe they have insurance issues when they're in the med?

Ooooo, we're in 10319! Does that mean our bed will be by the door?

Do you remember which nights were formal nights?

Thanks for all the pictures

I assume so with the bed.

Formal night is day 2 and 6.

quest is actually a lot better on the smaller ships...

or rather, if you like to participate, quest is better on the smaller ships....that's what my daughter tells me anyway...

if you like to observe (like me), it's more crazed on the big ships...

although i probably say that because the only big ship i was on was the allure when ken rush was running quest....

crazed doesn't come close to a ken rush run quest....more like lewd, crude and rude....exactly what quests meant to be.....

as for the chinese, if you mean the chinese chinese....as in coming from china for the cruise - that's the reason i won't go on any cruises that originate from a china port....

but i hadn't realized they cruise the med on royal ships..

i assumed the largest group would be spanish....and lots of europeans of various and sundry origins...

but had you asked me to guess at who was on board, i certainly wouldn't have thought to mention anyone from china....

i guess it's true it would be difficult to run quest or love and marriage...

but i agree with you - how could a belly flop competition be a problem? maybe it wasn't hot enough?

or maybe they have insurance issues when they're in the med?

They didn’t mention anything about insurance. I was on the Epic last year on the same week and they did worlds sexiest man and bellyflop so can’t understand why it didn’t happen on Royal.

The Chinese were also on the Epic last year. There were a lot of Indian and Spanish as well. But the rudest of them all were the Chinese. Horrendous. We were waiting for a lift and both my parents are elderly (father had a walking stick) and always pushed in front though we had called for it and was there waiting for a long time.

Nice pictures and review. One question, were the WOW bands available on the Symphony or not?

I didn’t get one but there were a lot of people with them.

Thanks for the review and pictures. We are on Symphony in March and can't wait.

I was going to ask about the Boardwalk room...but I see you answered in another post. Noise was ok aside from the one night the movie kept playing? It looks like you were on one of the end rooms.

Did you do the private rock wall session? Wondering how that works.

For MTD, I think that's how it works. Sounds like you wanted to have booked traditional dining to be seated with same table mates every night.

That's too bad there was no belly flop or sexiest man, etc etc. Those are fun to watch.

You mentioned there is an additional ice show during the day? I assume this one is not bookable?

Thanks for the cruise compasses. We'll be on symphony next week so this helps us a lot with planning how to get from the ship into town each day.

As we're a group of 6, I was wondering if the royal smartphone app provides some kind of ship-internal chat functionality over the ship's WiFi?

I've already downloaded it and logged in, but couldn't find any chat function. Maybe this is just because I'm not on the ship. Chat function was mentioned in some early press announcement last year.

Any information on how to communicate and arrange to meet on such a big ship when travelling with friends would be helpful.

Thanks for the cruise compasses. We'll be on symphony next week so this helps us a lot with planning how to get from the ship into town each day.

As we're a group of 6, I was wondering if the royal smartphone app provides some kind of ship-internal chat functionality over the ship's WiFi?

I've already downloaded it and logged in, but couldn't find any chat function. Maybe this is just because I'm not on the ship. Chat function was mentioned in some early press announcement last year.

Any information on how to communicate and arrange to meet on such a big ship when travelling with friends would be helpful.

Unfortunately, the app that works on Symphony has no texting capability.

Stateroom phones work pretty well, and take messages too.

Thanks for the review and pictures. We are on Symphony in March and can't wait.

I was going to ask about the Boardwalk room...but I see you answered in another post. Noise was ok aside from the one night the movie kept playing? It looks like you were on one of the end rooms.

Did you do the private rock wall session? Wondering how that works.

For MTD, I think that's how it works. Sounds like you wanted to have booked traditional dining to be seated with same table mates every night.

That's too bad there was no belly flop or sexiest man, etc etc. Those are fun to watch.

You mentioned there is an additional ice show during the day? I assume this one is not bookable?

Regarding the MTD, I didn't want traditional but wanted to be in the same area that one particular waiter does so you can build a relationship with them. That's why I tend to make reservations. Not had any problems in the past.

The do two ice skating shows and two aqua shows on the last day that aren't available to book. First come first served. Didn't see the aqua one but the ice skating was amazing.

I didn't do the climbing wall but I would assume you go down when it is open and hand your sea pass in. They will then see that you are in a boardwalk balcony.