NCL Breakaway Baltic Cruise – May 29, 2018 out of Copenhagen

JulesAS

Hi everyone, here's my review of our recent Baltic cruise on the Breakaway.

Copenhagen

We arrived in Copenhagen on the morning of May 26 to explore the city a bit before our cruise. We stayed in a private, 2 bedroom apartment with my brother and his wife. We like to feel at home rather than hotel rooms. The apartment was near the National History Museum, a great area for being central.

The weather was hot, the hottest in 120 years some residents say. In fact we had gorgeous weather throughout the trip and cruise.

The city is very expensive, food is expensive, and accommodation is expensive.

We also stayed two nights after our cruise. I only meant to stay one night after the cruise but messed up dates so two it was!

This time we stayed at Adina Apartments by the cruise ships. The Adina Apartments are hotel apartments. You have a front desk and many hotel like facilities but the apartments have kitchens and bedrooms. We’ve stayed in them before. They have a washer and dryer and that was nice for post cruise. Their air conditioning was not working well. Booooo. It was hot!

We visited:

The National History Museum which was really good, they have some neat souvenirs too.

The Torvehallerne food market which had some yummy goodies there to buy and take away or eat in.

Christianborg Palace which was nice, just like many other palaces you might have seen, but interesting and nice.

Tivoli, our 9 year old son loved it. It felt very nostalgic to me. It was nice but it is expensive and small. Food on site was only so, so.

The Round Tower, it was neat I suppose, nice views, had an art exhibit, observatory, water, some gift shop items, and toilets. Very few steps was more of a ramp you were walking up.

Ripley’s Believe it or Not and Hans Christian Andersen House. We did this because we had a young child with us. Might not be the best use of time if you do not have children. Was good for what it was though!

Kastellet – Star Shaped Fortress and Ramparts, which is really just a park, and smaller than I thought it was. There are various food places to purchase ice cream and drinks from as well as some public toilets. It was a nice walk back to the Adina Apartments we stayed in after our cruise.

We did a canal boat trip, our guide wasn’t that good. We also did the city’s HOHO bus and have to say it is probably the worst one we’ve ever done. Lines other than the main one left only every hour. It was slow moving, I’m assuming because of all the construction. We’ve been on better. A lot of sitting and waiting.

Day 1 -- Embarkation

Was fantastic. We got to the port around 11:00 and were on the ship in like 20 minutes. I couldn’t believe it. Boarding wasn’t supposed to start until 12:00. We thought we’d be waiting in line! Everything seemed to be done pretty efficiently.

We got on the ship and was kind of forced to go to the buffet because they were blocking off areas and crew was directing. We had intended to go to Margaritaville or O’Sheehans but couldn’t due to the redirection from the crew. It was ok though, the buffet was not crowded yet as we were on so early. Because of that the food was still pretty fresh as well. I think we definitely lucked out here based on what I’ve read.

After we ate, we got another drink and then headed up to Splash Academy to enroll our son. That went smoothly and quickly as well.

Before we knew it our cabins were ready! When I got in to our cabin I was surprised by birthday decorations. One of the reasons for our cruise was I was celebrating a milestone birthday and my brother and his wife, who were cruising with us, had our cabin decorated. It was really nice! There was a gigantic cake too! Yum, but they probably could have made that cake half the size and it would have still fed 5 people nicely.

Our cabin was 10802, a mini suite. It wasn’t different in any way from other mini suites. I have to tell you though…People ask all the time is a mini suite worth it and I can say, at least for us, hands down, absolutely. That bigger bathroom was worth a ton to me. First of all, excellent shower, plenty of room, and jets. More room to put things and move around. Easier to keep tidy with three people. Even if there was only two of us I’d want the mini suite. I could keep gushing about it but I won’t. I think it’s clear I like me a nice bathroom! Another point about 10802 is that is 2 floors above Syd’s Pour House and it is loud until 11:00 PM. You can hear it in your cabin. Not really bad but if it hadn’t of ended at 11:00 like it did I probably would have been much more upset.

Our room steward was Everton, we had towel animals every day. Cleaning could have been better, specifically dusting behind things. Everton made sure we had ice and our son’s bed was put together every night. He was also friendly.

This night we chose to have one of our specialty dining at La Cucina. It wasn’t very busy. Food was ok to good but it didn’t wow me. I think it was partially just my mood. The service was good and everyone was very friendly.

Day 2 -- Warnemunde

Was my birthday and we were in Warnemunde. Initially we had intended to go the Schwerin Castle but I had decided about a week before we left that instead, I’d like to get a massage and then walk around Warnemunde for a bit in the afternoon. I didn’t want to run out of steam before we hit all the ports so we took it easy for this day.

We had breakfast in O’Sheehans. They have a limited menu but its table service. It was ok/good. I started noticing a theme of that the food doesn’t come very hot, unfortunately. More like luke warm.

I got a massage as I wanted, which was fantastic. The prices in the spa are astronomical. It was a great massage and it’s a nice place but I think the prices are way too much. Even if comparing to hotel prices. Especially when it does not include time using the other spa facilities. We wanted a spa pass but didn’t end up getting one because I can’t see how, with this itinerary, you’d ever have time at the spa. As it turns out I was right. My brother and his wife had a spa cabin and maybe used the facilities 4 times, for a couple of hours, out of the whole trip. I don’t think that’s good value, personally.

We had lunch at the buffet before leaving the ship. Walked around Warnemunde. Cute town but not much to do. I really was low energy this day so there was probably tons to do I just didn’t do it. Was definitely a cute little town.

Dinner was in one of the main dining rooms. I honestly do not remember what I had to eat. I only know that I remember thinking the jury is still out on the food on NCL. Also, guess I should say so now…I’m not a foodie, I didn’t take pictures of the food nor is that why I cruise so I will apologize in advance for poor information about meals.

By the time we were done eating it was time to go get my son and head to our cabin. He does not do well if he stays up too late.

Day 3 – Sea Day

So this day was a bit hectic and frustrating for me because I spent what should have been my workout time, running around the ship and standing in line.

After our steward did our room that morning he left a note about getting a spot to get off the ship in St. Petersburg. Fine, ok, I rush to go do that because I knew lines were going to be long getting off the ship. A better position seemed like a good idea. The instructions said you could use a kiosk. I went to a kiosk and already we were on group C, A and B were filled. How can that be when I just got the notice? I spent 10 minutes on hold trying to call the box office. No one would answer, just kept putting me on hold. The box office was going to close soon so I ran down to the box office, which is another place where you can book your spot. I finally, after about a 15 minute or longer wait, get my turn and I said I needed a spot for 5, over two rooms. No problem but we are in group C! I then asked her how is it possible that all these spots are taken already! She said it was in our room the night before. I said no, it wasn’t! Now I’m mad at my steward and pretty upset in general because we have an 8:30 pick up time for our private group tour. She says she’ll give me a B spot. Great, but I still wasn’t very happy. So I talked to my brother, ranting to him, and as it turns out, he told me that morning he was going to the desk to get us a spot but I thought he was talking about for the last day. He had gotten us an A spot. But then, wait, did I change our A spot to a B spot?!! Oh no, I need to go the desk and wait in line, AGAIN. By now I’m a little intense and I maybe didn’t need to be but I this whole thing was poorly done. When I finally get up there the front desk says we were actually double booked with both an A and a B. He took out the B, reassured me we had an A spot. I spent 5 minutes apologizing to the poor guy. Now that I’m more reasonable I understand they are working out the new way of doing things and this would have actually been a good idea, if it had been implemented better and the system was prepared for it.

Outside of the spot fiasco we just lazed around, played bingo, looked at the art and went to the art auction, and it was the last warm enough day for the water slides for him. We really didn’t do much of anything else this day. Turns out that was best because holy cannoli this itinerary kicked my butt.

This is also the night we chose to eat at Moderno. Wow! It was our favorite. Loved the all you can eat sides and salad bar. The meat was done fantastic. Our only complaint was our actual server, he was never around for drinks and it took us 45 minutes to get dessert. The server isn’t even one of the people that bring you the various meats. Not sure how he was so bogged down but this is the one night I was VERY upset with service. It was offset a bit though by the fresh meat and meat-bearers. They were frequent and good. Definitely loved the grilled pineapple.

More to come...

• Thanks 1

Day 4 – Tallinn

I have read several times how this port was a pleasant surprise to many cruisers and it was actually the biggest disappointment for us. Not that it was bad only that I think our expectations were so high! We expected to be wowed with this town and we were not.

We got off the ship, walked up the hill, stopping in shops along the way and stopping for a coffee too. It was a cute old town, people were nice. Plenty of shops to explore. We did find some treasures but not like I thought we would. We got up the hill, took pictures, came back down. On the way down there was a small Viking display/reenactment going on. They played a Viking board game with my son which he loved. We had a fantastic lunch with fantastic service at a place called Munga Kelder. It was nice hour of drinking wine and eating good food out on the street. While eating there was some sort of charity race going by. It was humorous as they were all dressed up in funny ways.

Again, Tallinn was nice but was not wowed. We have fond memories though.

After Tallin, our dinner this night was Cagney’s. Great steak, great service. They take care of you nicely there. Our son also did a bit of kids club but the next day was Russia so we knew not to overdo it.

Day 5 – St. Petersburg 1

All that fuss for nothing.

We decided to have room service bring up our breakfast, we paid to have an omelet and French toast. I’m sorry but the room service was so bad. Warm foods cold and cold foods warm. My son couldn’t stand the milk it was so warm. We even had the first delivery. We decided on buffet for the next day.

So our process for getting off the boat was this:

As I mentioned, you previously booked a group to get off in St. Petersburg. The groups were sat in the Theater, beginning with A. This wasn’t supposed to start until 8:00 AM but it started about 7:50 AM. It must be they got the ship’s tours off quicker than anticipated. Group A was off the boat and in line at passport control by about 8:15. We stood in line at passport control for about a half hour. You go up 1 at a time unless you have a minor with you. That child then goes up with 1 parent. All in all it went pretty well and pretty quickly but mind you we were off the boat in the beginning of the first group. Other groups may have had a much longer wait. I’m not sure.

Our particular tour was a private tour for just the 5 of us. We had our own driver, guide, and van. We used SPB, our guide’s name was Katya and our driver was Boris. They were very nice.

We started with a city tour, just driving around. Then off to the Hermitage. Then boat ride and then lunch. The lunch was fantastic. We asked or a leisurely, authentic Russian lunch because we wanted that t0 be a part of the experience. It did not disappoint. After lunch we went to Yusupov’s Palace. Loved it, very interesting place. Great story.

We were out touring until 5:00 PM. Our first day was a little shorter than we would have probably liked but my brother and his wife had ballet that night and needed to get back, cleaned up and fed. From what I understand that is a long evening. They weren’t back on the boat until after 11:00 PM but they said they really enjoyed it.

It might have taken a little longer to actually get on the boat then off it but it went rather smoothly. Our little family of 3 got to dinner around 6:00 ish, ate dinner, can’t remember where, and then went to bed! Another long day tomorrow.

Day 6 – St. Petersburg 2

We ate breakfast in the buffet

Our tour wasn’t meeting until 9:00 this morning. We got off the ship, through passport control and to our guide by 8:45 at the latest.

We had a few minutes before heading to the hydrofoil so we stopped for pictures and info on some places along the way. We also stopped at a souvenir shop along the way, by our request. Took the hydrofoil to Peterhof. It was nice to take a boat ride, it’s quicker and you see some different things. Plus a little snooze although the boat was loud.

We then visited Peterhof gardens which are beautiful. Then off to lunch, in Peterhof the town which I didn’t know was an actual town, not just a Palace. Again, the lunch was fantastic, authentic, and relaxing. I only now realized I didn’t grab the names of the places. Disappointing. Both days, they were good.

Catherine’s Palace had been closed and our guide was not able to get tickets so we went to a different Palace called Pavlovsk Palace. We enjoyed it but were disappointed to miss the Amber room. Ah well, not much you can do.

After the Palace we made our way back to the ship. We were done a bit earlier then we were supposed to be, about 5:20 and our itinerary said 6:00. Its ok, we were ready to get on the boat. Again, much longer to get on then off.

Went to dinner, but again, I don’t remember where. How bad am I?

Day 7 – Helsinki

Breakfast at the buffet

There were HOHO buses at the ship but we chose to DIY.

This was my surprise port. I wasn’t initially excited about this one at all. It turns out it is clean, nice looking city, with nice attractions. We spent our time at the Fortress Island which was good. I think we should have stayed in the city though, to experience it. We didn’t even eat any food there so if we were to do it again I’d definitely stay in the city, walk around, try some food, etc. We still know very little about the city.

The Fortress Island or Suomenlinna, is essentially a large park. There are things to see on the island, some shops, cafes, toilets. There is a small sub you can take a walk in as well. My son loved it because it was very hands on. He was allowed to touch everything which thrilled him. It’s a good walk, lovely views all around you.

Here is how we got to the Fortress Island (these instructions were found from the CruiseCritic boards):

We were at LMA berth.

First, off the boat to the Tram. Follow the green line. Disclaimer though, there is construction going on so the line ends but by then it’s obvious where the tram is.

Public transport: Tram 7 from West Terminal about 400 meters from the berth. There has been a green line on the ground from the berth to the tram stop.

There should be a ticket machine at the tram stop closest to LMA

We took Tram 7 to Market Square.

Suomenlinna is accessible only by water. A ferry service runs from the Market Square to Suomenlinna throughout the year. In the summer season, a water bus service to Suomenlinna is also available.

The trip to Suomenlinna takes 15–20 minutes and offers magnificent views of Helsinki and the surroundings from the sea.

HSL ferry

The ferry service is operated by the Helsinki Region Transport Authority (HSL). Depending on the season and the time of day, ferries run 1 to 4 times per hour from the morning until the night throughout the year. Please see the HSL website for detailed ferry schedules.

The ferry departs from the east side of the Market Square, opposite the Presidential Palace. In Suomenlinna, the ferry arrives at and departs from the main pier of Iso Mustasaari island, on the north shore of Suomenlinna.

The ferry is part of the city transport network and all HSL tickets are accepted. Tickets need to be purchased before boarding from the ticket machine on the departure pier. In the summer, tickets are also sold at the ticket booth in the Market Square ferry terminal. Tickets are not sold on board. The crossing is free with a Helsinki Card.

When we were done on the island we took the ferry back to the same spot, walked to the same Tram, then back to the port. There was a market right by the ferry with some nice, but expensive, things.

Getting back on the boat was easy.

I believe this night we chose to eat at O’Sheehans. It wasn’t good and the service was slow.

Day 8 – Stockholm

We really loved this stop and plan to go back for a long weekend.

Breakfast at the buffet

There was a hiccup here at this port. We weren’t allowed off the boat until 7:40 AM maybe? I was surprised. We did make the 8:10 train though and with the shuttles provided it was super easy. Here is how all that went down.

A couple of days before Stockholm we were told in our dailies that there would be free shuttle buses to the train station and a free train ticket. If we wanted this service to please go to the desk. We went to the desk, the gentleman put us in the system and gave us a red sticker on our card.

On the day, we lined up and made our way to the buses. There was some confusion because the cruise director was just handing out train tickets in no particular order. This could have gone better. People were crazy, pushing and shoving, cutting line, etc. There was so much stress and speculation how this was going to go and making sure you get to the city on time and back on time and apparently the trains can’t be trusted. Several reports of disrupted train service over many cruises. Anyhow, we got on the bus, with our train ticket as well. It was a short easy walk to the train, plenty of seats. Soon we were on our way and in to the city.

My only complaint about this whole process was it seemed very chaotic because, obviously, this was not originally planned to be this way. I feel NCL did pretty good though providing free shuttles and a 24 hour ticket. That ticket got us transportation to and from the city AND in the city, trams and ferries. It was a huge help.

We visited the Vasa museum which was fantastic but the reports are correct, get there early if you can. We enjoyed it but it was super busy when we left.

We made our way to Gamla Stan, had a nice lunch there, good service. Again, I failed on getting the name. We then walked to the Ice Bar, did the Ice Bar experience. Cool, no pun intended, but I don’t ever have to do another.

While at the Ice Bar the girls working there told us the quick way to get back to Gamla Stan because we had a lot of time left. We spent a little more time there, got some cool Viking souvenirs and took the quick way back to Central Station. We got on the 3:54 train back to the port. All went extremely well until two stops away from the port we sat on the tracks for like 40 minutes. We made it back at about 5:30 (all aboard 6:30) but I had been hoping to make it back sooner. Ah well.

We get off the train, buses are waiting but there is no direction as to what bus to get on, they kept telling us to go the front so we did. Those buses are full and now so are all the ones behind us. We still didn’t have that long to wait but again, need more people control.

On the boat and headed to the main dining room. At this point we were not that thrilled with the included food offerings but we wanted a sit down, served meal. It ended up being a super fantastic meal with short ribs and all kinds of good offerings.

Next day was a sea day but we were pretty exhausted so were asleep by 9:30.

More to come...

Day 9 – Sea Day

We had breakfast in a main dining room, super slow service but all in all the breakfasts were ok/good. Food never really that warm, always took a long time to eat.

We played bingo, rested, watched the kids club show, more art auctions, and dinner was Jungle Fantasy.

Jungle Fantasy was good, I think the seating arrangement is poor. The food was good. I wish they’d cook the meat a bit more. They said it was going to be med. Well to well and it more like med. Couldn’t get a drink once they started serving food. The show was good but the rest I could have done without.

Day 10 – Debarkation

A few days before debarkation you choose which color debarkation tags you want from stands by the Guest Services Desk. We chose a late one because we were staying in the city.

My only complaint is that I never received our final cabin charges under the door and I’m spending time chasing that around. I didn’t even think about it until we were back home. :o

General Thoughts

• The food service, pretty much every day, in every venue, was extremely slow. Everyone working on the ship was extremely friendly and helpful. I think they did great in this area.
  • The food was not stellar nor was it horrible. If you are a foodie or top notch food is for you, do specialty dining.
  • The food in the buffet was very samey for breakfast and lunch. Loved the themed nights in the buffet. I thought it was a great idea.
  • We don’t really do shows so sorry for the lack of info and review on those.
  • Kids club was good, my son loved it. It was not busy for this cruise at all. No line waiting or turning people away.
  • The Internet was ok, we got the unlimited, premium. It wasn’t the best but it worked.
  • I think it is extremely silly to only have Margaritaville open during the day on such a port intensive cruise.
  • Never had a problem at any bar getting a drink in a timely manner. I loved the snack nuts, I think that’s a great idea.
  • Smoke – I used to be a smoker and I’m not anti-smoker but there is a serious problem on the ship. Not only do you smell it in a lot of places but to the point where it’s uncomfortable. The Bistro and Headliners area? It smells like a smoke den. Really gross.

All in all it was an awesome cruise and I’d definitely sail NCL again!:)

Enjoyed your review. Loved the Baltic cruise last year on the Getaway. Your experience with transportation in Stockholm is why I am recommending an organized tour in Stockholm. I have read where other people had difficulties as well. We did the NCL tour Stockholm by Land and Sea. It was great and very organized. No stress at all. Plenty of free time to walk around as well. We used a $50 excursion credit, but I do not think it was very expensive if I recall correctly. And it included a boat ride and admission to the VASA. Lunch on your own. Easy to find the bus back to the port.

SPB also does tours in all the ports I believe. They will meet you wherever the ship docks. We did a private tour for the 5 of us in St. Petersburg as well with SPB. Cannot recommend them enough!

Edited by Seminole1975

Thank you for your review. At disembarkation, our family of 4 plans to leave first thing on our own, taking our own luggage. Do you remember if taxis are plentiful at the port to take us to the airport? Thank you!

Thank you for your review. At disembarkation, our family of 4 plans to leave first thing on our own, taking our own luggage. Do you remember if taxis are plentiful at the port to take us to the airport? Thank you!

Hi! There were tons of taxis but we also did not get off until about 9:15 AM. I had read in other posts that if you get off early the taxis are not there yet but I can't say if that is true.

Enjoyed your review. Loved the Baltic cruise last year on the Getaway. Your experience with transportation in Stockholm is why I am recommending an organized tour in Stockholm. I have read where other people had difficulties as well. We did the NCL tour Stockholm by Land and Sea. It was great and very organized. No stress at all. Plenty of free time to walk around as well. We used a $50 excursion credit, but I do not think it was very expensive if I recall correctly. And it included a boat ride and admission to the VASA. Lunch on your own. Easy to find the bus back to the port.

SPB also does tours in all the ports I believe. They will meet you wherever the ship docks. We did a private tour for the 5 of us in St. Petersburg as well with SPB. Cannot recommend them enough!

Yeah, if it wasn't for the uncertainty of the train I'd say DIY, even with being an hour from the city but because we experienced trouble and I've read elsewhere people have had trouble, I think it's too much of a risk. Unless you shorten your day to make up for problems which then what is the point of DIY? Thanks for reading!

Wonderful review, thanks for taking time to post it.

We as well as poster above opted to do a tour In Stockholm once they changed the port. reading your review I'm glad I did.

I hope you have a fantastic time! We did. I'm not sorry we didn't do a tour but it looks like you get some piece of mind. There were a lot of people worried about being late.

Hi! There were tons of taxis but we also did not get off until about 9:15 AM. I had read in other posts that if you get off early the taxis are not there yet but I can't say if that is true.

Ok, thank you!

Thank you for the great review!!!! We go next month. 😊

Question: St Petersburg

The Groups A B C they were for everyone with independent tours?

The ships tours weren’t involved with those groups?

First i have heard of them doing it this way this season so trying to make sure i understand it.

I have a private tour w TJ at 8:30 am

So i should be looking for paper in my room telling when/how to sign up?

Thanks again for the detailed review!!

Thank you for the great review!!!! We go next month. 😊

Question: St Petersburg

The Groups A B C they were for everyone with independent tours?

The ships tours weren’t involved with those groups?

First i have heard of them doing it this way this season so trying to make sure i understand it.

I have a private tour w TJ at 8:30 am

So i should be looking for paper in my room telling when/how to sign up?

Thanks again for the detailed review!!

Hi! Yes, the groups, A, B, C, etc. are for independent tours. The night before was when they were supposed to have had the information in our room. My guess is it was in the daily, so read those really well. My brother noticed it but I did not which is where all of my confusion and angst came from. I thought I scoured the daily well too.

It will tell you to go to the Box Office, or a kiosk. The Guest Services desk will book you as well.

The ship's tours go first and they meet in the Theater, so did the independent tours but not until the ship's tours were gone. Then they let A group in to the Theater first. You sat down where they told you to. After A's were in they called B's, C's, etc. They did a good job making sure other groups didn't try to leave with A's. This all seemed to go well.

I do want to note that there was no proof what letter you were and no one was checking soooo...but they may be just perfecting how this is done and eventually there will be checks. I couldn't say.

I'd also say this may not be the way they do it going forward, who knows. It seems to have been different for the first 3 Baltic cruises this year with the new rules.

We did not meet our tour guide until about 9:40 but we still had plenty of time for some city sightseeing.

I hope this helps!

Great! I will make a point of looking for it. Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, the whole Russia departure thing seems to be a "work in progress". I will see what the next few cruises come back with as well!

I'm so excited! We leave 4 weeks from tomorrow!

Thank you for the wonderful review, and the info about the A,B,C etc. tickets to get off the ship in Russia. I had never read anything about this before, and will definitely keep an eye out for the info, or just head to Guest Services or the Box Office myself the night before!

Day 10 – Debarkation

My only complaint is that I never received our final cabin charges under the door and I’m spending time chasing that around. I didn’t even think about it until we were back home. :o

The final bills are no longer delivered under the door - they are propped up in the slot behind the room number plate next to the door. If you glance back to the room when you leave the room you'd see it.

Great! I will make a point of looking for it. Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, the whole Russia departure thing seems to be a "work in progress". I will see what the next few cruises come back with as well!

I'm so excited! We leave 4 weeks from tomorrow!

You're welcome. We had a blast but I'm warning you, it was tiring! I don't go on cruises to rest though. Have a fantastic time!

Thank you for the wonderful review, and the info about the A,B,C etc. tickets to get off the ship in Russia. I had never read anything about this before, and will definitely keep an eye out for the info, or just head to Guest Services or the Box Office myself the night before!

You're welcome!

Thanks so much for the extensive report!

What kinds of activities were available in the kids club in that age group?

You're welcome!

They did games and crafts. Lots of sports my son said. Practiced for the show at the end of the cruise, which was really good. There are also video games they can play. He had a lot of fun but for this Baltic cruise he wasn't in it more than a couple of hours a day. We weren't on the ship most of the time and because they close at dinner there was limited time to be there.

The final bills are no longer delivered under the door - they are propped up in the slot behind the room number plate next to the door. If you glance back to the room when you leave the room you'd see it.

Ah well that's not cool. Is there sensitive information on the bill? Yikes, wish I had known. Thank you.