In New Orleans before boarding...can we bring food on with us?

CruiseMomTX

Never understood why passengers bring food or bottled water, when they are abundantly available on the ship for free. Then there was the guy on one of our cruises who brought his own bottle of Tabasco sauce & carried it around in a pouch on his belt. Yes, they have condiments, too.

My husband and I eat Quest protein bars daily and have been for the past three years. We also snack on trail mix, cashews and prefer Splenda. So for health reasons and because I am 99% sure these items are either not on the ship or cost a ridiculous amount, we will carry these items on. We choose to continue our lifestyle even on vacation.

I bring food on from ports quite a bit and I’ve seen many others do as well. I don’t know if the rules are different at the initial port of embarkation. You just pit whatever you have on the scanner with your other stuff when reboarding the ship. I’ll usually have food if I didn’t have time to eat while in port. I’ll just grab a takeout order from a local restaurant or something. I never take food off the ship though.

As for why anyone would want to...the quality and taste of local fresh food cannot be compared to the mass produced stuff available on the ships. Enjoying the local cuisine is a big part of why I cruise.

We sailed the Dream last March and I am not sure why Cafe Du Monde is famous. The beignet was nothing to stand in line half an hour for. Maybe they were better before they were famous. Just buy a doughnut anywhere.

Only time I brought any food on at embarkation was the chips and candy we had for the trip down that were unopened and I didn't want them to sit in a hot car for 7 days or go to waste. Also, they were two things you don't often find for free around the ship and we took the chips out on our beach day and saved money not buying snacks and I had fun putting a fun size Twix bars on the pillows at night :D

No.

Here's the policy, straight from the website:

• Food Items must be pre-packaged and unopened; homemade items or pre-cooked foods will not be permitted onboard. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention. We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items.

Huh. I didn't know that or even think about it. We had a gallon ziploc bag of chocolate chip cookies that we brought on. We had them for the two day drive and didn't finish them. Didn't want to leave them in the car for 8 days either. Oops.

I know not to take food off the ship or things like produce back on, but I didn't think about it at all on embarkation. Next time I will know. Thanks for the info.