Do we need to tip at pier when dropping off luggage at embarkation?

I fully understand the principle that tipping is NOT required in many ports in Europe, but, as has been said, it is appreciated. We ALWAYS tip for service, at least if the guy is nice or helps us out in any way.

What gets me is people spend thousands of dollars on a cruise, a vacation, whatever, and then bitch about tipping some one a few bucks. Yes, again, it isn't required, but why not.

At least that's the way we look at it.

Cheers

Len

I think what you're not taking into consideration is the fact that you are going against local custom.

Who are we, as Americans, to come in and change the customs of a place? We tip them, and they begin to expect tips, even when they are receiving a fair wage and tipping is not the local culture.

It seems kind of arrogant to me.... :o

As Americans we want others to respect our tipping culture, which is very different and confusing to those visiting the US. The least we can do is extend the same courtesy when traveling abroad -- abide by local rules and customs.

Ok, I have a question, we also tip for everything. Now I’m reading this about not tipping. Does this no tipping apply to cabs in Copenhagen also?
Tipping is not required in cabs. What usually happens is the passenger may round up i.e. Fare = 47(€, £ etc.) hand over a 50 & tell them to keep the change. Though they may still give you your change.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Len

I find your posts very informative and have a great deal of respect for your contributions

However this thread specifically asks about tipping porters in Europe where unlike the USA they are paid a wage and do not work for tips

in fact on our first cruise out of Southampton UK I remember seeing a big sign saying tips are not required

most European ports the porters will have taken your bags and moved away-you would have to chase after them to give them a tip!

Of course if they hear an American accent they may hover more!

Thanks for the heads up on the porters making a decent enough salary. Sorry, I did not know that. So I rescind my comments.

Cheers

Len

I think what you're not taking into consideration is the fact that you are going against local custom.

Who are we, as Americans, to come in and change the customs of a place? We tip them, and they begin to expect tips, even when they are receiving a fair wage and tipping is not the local culture.

It seems kind of arrogant to me.... :o

As Americans we want others to respect our tipping culture, which is very different and confusing to those visiting the US. The least we can do is extend the same courtesy when traveling abroad -- abide by local rules and customs.

I fully understand your views and comments, but I still disagree, to an extent. I do NOT think that tipping is a sign or show of arrogance, especially by Americans. Yes we tip, but too many Americans tip regardless of the service they receive, as more an obligation. I tip when we do receive good service, really, no matter where we are. As several people said, tipping is not required but appreciated and that is where I was coming from.

Again, if you feel that tipping some one, say a porter, who might help you out a bit over and beyond what might be expected, is arrogant, then, by all means stick to custom. If you offer and they refuse, then I can understand, but they never refuse a tip when offered. I sure don't shell out $20 for carrying a bag for me, but why not tip the way I would here, if I feel I got good service and the person worked hard at what he was doing, regardless if they are salaried. Maybe it's my stubborn streak in me, but as I said before, people shell out thousands of dollars for a cruise and then some complain about tipping.

Just another point, which has been brought up many times. On tours to St Petersburg, all the companies suggest about a 10% tip to the guide and 5% to the driver. On a say $600 2 day tour that's about $90 which many people complain is very high. regardless of how you feel, I have been on this site long enough to read many people feel $10 is an OK tip for BOTH, and most are these tipping crazy Americans.

Anyway

Cheers

Len

Len

I find your posts very informative and have a great deal of respect for your contributions

However this thread specifically asks about tipping porters in Europe where unlike the USA they are paid a wage and do not work for tips

in fact on our first cruise out of Southampton UK I remember seeing a big sign saying tips are not required

most European ports the porters will have taken your bags and moved away-you would have to chase after them to give them a tip!

Of course if they hear an American accent they may hover more!

I have to correct the bolded portion. In the US the 'porters' are unionized longshoreman who most assuredly are paid VERY handsome salaries - over 6 figures for the ones with enough seniority to get the cruise ship gig.

Frankly, the poster who Implied that the porters just work for tips is flat out wrong, where the US is concerned.

Baggage handlers are NOT part of the cruise package. They work for the terminal and for the most part work mainly for tips. It may be principle for you, but these guys bust their you know what and one day you may find your luggage on a different ship.

Cheers

Len

This is flat out wrong for the US. These guys are unionized longshoremen making well over 6 figures. They do NOT work mainly for tips.

I fully understand your views and comments, but I still disagree, to an extent. I do NOT think that tipping is a sign or show of arrogance, especially by Americans. Yes we tip, but too many Americans tip regardless of the service they receive, as more an obligation. I tip when we do receive good service, really, no matter where we are. As several people said, tipping is not required but appreciated and that is where I was coming from.

Again, if you feel that tipping some one, say a porter, who might help you out a bit over and beyond what might be expected, is arrogant, then, by all means stick to custom. If you offer and they refuse, then I can understand, but they never refuse a tip when offered. I sure don't shell out $20 for carrying a bag for me, but why not tip the way I would here, if I feel I got good service and the person worked hard at what he was doing, regardless if they are salaried. Maybe it's my stubborn streak in me, but as I said before, people shell out thousands of dollars for a cruise and then some complain about tipping.

Len, you know and I know that most people aren't going to turn down a tip (except in societies where it is considered insulting, such as in Japan, to offer one.) The point is that we are travelers -- we should respect the LOCAL customs in general and we should not be changing them to do what suits us. A good traveler is someone who passes through, who looks and learns, but who doesn't impose themselves or their views on others.

Just put the shoe on the other foot. We in the US really appreciate it when travelers from other areas try to understand and abide by our sometimes hard-to-understand tipping culture. Now, when you are in a country where tipping isn't normal and you insist on choosing your own cultural practice, you are part of a tide that ends up changing things for ALL the locals, not just the person you tipped.

Just another point, which has been brought up many times. On tours to St Petersburg, all the companies suggest about a 10% tip to the guide and 5% to the driver. On a say $600 2 day tour that's about $90 which many people complain is very high. regardless of how you feel, I have been on this site long enough to read many people feel $10 is an OK tip for BOTH, and most are these tipping crazy Americans.

Anyway

Cheers

Len

Not sure what this has to do, if anything, with the current discussion....