Cruise Critic Community
JonoBhoy

Cruise line alternatives for Celebrity enthusiasts

I'm going to break a bit of an unwritten rule and repost something I placed on another thread earlier (because I got the theads confused and thought that I was actually posting on this one!)

I have altered it a bit and responded to some other comments that I have seen.

Five years ago, I said a not so fond "farewell" to Celebrity after about 250 nights on board (with a lot of suites ... but before Luminescence ....)(Luminae - really? Who makes up these names ....).

I have since (among others) sailed in The Haven 8 times and in the Yacht Club on Divina and Seaside.

So .....

I absolutely loved the Haven. I have completely laughed at some of the comments here where people sniffily(is that even a word?) dismiss NCL or MSC while viewing Celebrity as some sort of Divine Creation. Get it through your heads people - Celebrity is among the higher end of the mass market lines. It unfortunately is not the be-all-and-end-all and is in fact lagging behind and lacking in many areas.

Our first Haven (one year after the Summit) was a revelation. Superb meals in the Haven dining room, NEVER having to fight for a deck chair, great cocktails and congeniality in the Haven lounge and drop-dead gorgeous suites. The entertainment blew Celebrity out of the water and we loved the various lounges all with live music. To the poster above, no - it is not a "gimmick". Having your own private world of about 200 guests (if everyone was there at the same time!) on a ship of 400+ passengers is fantastic.

The NCL specialty restaurants put the generally train-wreck specialties on Celebrity to shame ... and trust me - I stopped eating in the main dining rooms on Celebrity years ago. We only ate in specialties ...

But (there's always a but ...) the Haven dining room menus never changed and because the production shows were usually reduced versions of Broadway shows, there are only usually two main stage shows a cruise and they never really change.

The other big "but" is the cost of the Haven ... it usually is now (seriously) far cheaper to cruise on Seabourn. (although I'd be bored out of my mind ....)

MSC Yacht Club is presently the best value in cruising today. Lovely, albeit, small suites but with a fully stocked (and complimentary minibar), a super (but with minimal shade) private sun deck, a marvelous (included) outdoor bar and a fabulous private observation lounge with private restaurant. The food is .... fine. The service is so lovely and the atmosphere so relaxed, it makes up for any deficiencies in the food. Seaside is a spectacular ship and completely different from what we are generally used to. It's Italian insane in the best sense of the word .... the ship's decor is supervised by the owner's wife (yes, MSC is privately owned ... no pesky shareholders to satisfy) and you are subject to Mrs. Aponte's tastes and whims. Totally non-corporate , individual and interesting.

Holland America has really amped up their entertainment but the main dining room experience is pretty miserable and the specialties are hit and miss. Much of the decor up until Koningsdam combines colours that look like someone threw up a million Skittles after having too much on the Beverage Package.

In contrast, my last Celebrity cruise had 1) mold and mildew overtaking the bathroom because 2) the bathroom ventilation didn't work in any of our segment's bathrooms and 3) intermittent hot water (alternated between scalding and icy ) because in the hotel managers's words: "we're waiting for parts from France". Uh-huh.

So ... a Suite on Celebrity gets you private dining and a nice lounge but ... you're still fighting for a deck chair and a cocktail on deck. Oh ... have I mentioned that you never pull out your Sea-pass while you're in the YC?

But (yes, there's more buts ....!), now that Celebrity is introducing the retreat, I have actually eaten my words and booked two cruises on the newly "Revolutionized" ships. One cost far less than the Haven I cancelled and and the other had a similar price to the YC I cancelled.

Contradictory behavior? Absolutely ....

My final answer: ultimately, all are/will be likely great! Pick a date and a price and see who wins!

Sadly, my cruise is not until next November. So it will be a while. Mafig recently cruised in Yacht Club. Perhaps she will share her experience.

I LOVED it.

I haven't written a review....mostly because right after the cruise we drove to NJ to visit family and then spent some time in Atlantic City.

I have contributed a bit here and there to threads.

Seaside was our second time on MSC in the YC. The first was Divina. They were both excellent! No crowds, private pool, all drinks included, anytime dining in a beautiful restaurant where every table has a view.....all for an amazing price.

We have a cruise upcoming on Allure, but after that we'll be running back to the Yacht Club.:hearteyes:

Wow, after reading all the MSC love on this thread, I decided to check out MSC Seaside Itineraries and Rates on the MSC website. I believe it is worse than the X website.

My results are still loading........:rolleyes:still loading.......

I think I'll stick with X.

Wow, after reading all the MSC love on this thread, I decided to check out MSC Seaside Itineraries and Rates on the MSC website. I believe it is worse than the X website.

My results are still loading........:rolleyes:still loading.......

I think I'll stick with X.

OMG, we have the same favourite cruise line .... Website Cruises!

Really? You make your vacation decisions based on the website? The MSC website aspires to be atrocious.

Still ... the on board product (in the YC) puts Celebrity to shame.

I LOVED it.

I haven't written a review....mostly because right after the cruise we drove to NJ to visit family and then spent some time in Atlantic City.

Seaside was our second time on MSC in the YC. The first was Divina. They were both excellent! No crowds, private pool, all drinks included, anytime dining in a beautiful restaurant where every table has a view.....all for an amazing price.

We have a cruise upcoming on Allure, but after that we'll be running back to the Yacht Club.:hearteyes:

I can't believe your outrageous and insulting comments. Anyone in their right mind knows that Celebrity is the best cruise line in the universe!!!!! I can't believe you would besmirch these boards with your comments....

You do realize, the more people we tell about the YC, the more expensive and harder it will be to get a cabin? :halo:

OMG, we have the same favourite cruise line .... Website Cruises!

Really? You make your vacation decisions based on the website? The MSC website aspires to be atrocious.

Still ... the on board product (in the YC) puts Celebrity to shame.

I do make my decisions based on my ability to actually look at cabins and prices. Geez I would never blindly book without being able to research prices. Can’t do that, so I move on. Sue me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You do realize, the more people we tell about the YC, the more expensive and harder it will be to get a cabin? :halo:

I know. I've been trying to stop.:o The only reason I responded was because my name was specifically mentioned.

My dh ordered a Reuben and he thought it could have had more corned beef on it. How's that? For that reason alone, no one should ever consider a cruise on MSC. (at least until I book my next one).

I do make my decisions based on my ability to actually look at cabins and prices. Geez I would never blindly book without being able to research prices. Can’t do that, so I move on. Sue me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What's your lawyer's name? No-one in their right mind blindly books.

The Celebrity website is a train wreck as well and as reliable as your sister-in-law.

There are literally hundreds of websites with live access to current prices. In fact, they are far better in showing you all of the available inventory as opposed to Celebrity.

I know. I've been trying to stop.:o The only reason I responded was because my name was specifically mentioned.

My dh ordered a Reuben and he thought it could have had more corned beef on it. How's that? For that reason alone, no one should ever consider a cruise on MSC. (at least until I book my next one).

Unfortunately, the word is getting out ....

Prices are steadily rising with availability decreasing. I literally book the INSTANT they become available as YC goes so quickly. I truly feel that as they are a private company, they are willing to underprice the product to get people like us hooked as they don't care about shareholders.

Enjoy it at these prices while you can!

What's your lawyer's name? No-one in their right mind blindly books.

The Celebrity website is a train wreck as well and as reliable as your sister-in-law.

There are literally hundreds of websites with live access to current prices. In fact, they are far better in showing you all of the available inventory as opposed to Celebrity.

I have no problem with x website. At least I can look at itinerary and prices.

And I tried another travel website and couldn't get any msc info. Such disappointment. Again, moving on. Enjoy your cruise.

How did you know my sister in law is totally unreliable?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I LOVED it.

Glad you liked it. My sister just raves about her two cruises in the Yacht Club. But we have to quit singing its praises as the word seems to be out and the prices are rising!

A Yacht Club suite has a balcony. The waived single supplement was only available for a very limited time. The cruise is in November 2019. The Yacht Club is sold out for that cruise.

Small correction: SOME Yacht Club suites do not have balconies. ( the interior ones, which by and large go for $3k single/wk)