Does Divina have luggage Valet to airport

Mrearl

Some cruise line will take your luggage to the airport for a fee and check it in for you so all you have to do is walk off the ship.

I know Celebrity has this service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I asked this question a few weeks ago and was told “no”. However, one time in Fort Lauderdale, I called the valet service directly, and we were able to hand the bags off to them after we claimed them and went through customs. In FLL, it is especially helpful on a busy port day (mainly weekends).

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am totally confused by this thread.

Perhaps it's an American thing with domestic flights, but aren't you supposed to check in your own luggage at the same time you check in? We certainly do this side of the pond, whether domestic or international. What documentation would a valet have to hand to the check-in desk? How do the baggage tags get handed to you? These would be required if your bags didn't make it to your destination.

This is intriguing to say the least.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am totally confused by this thread.

Perhaps it's an American thing with domestic flights, but aren't you supposed to check in your own luggage at the same time you check in? We certainly do this side of the pond, whether domestic or international. What documentation would a valet have to hand to the check-in desk? How do the baggage tags get handed to you? These would be required if your bags didn't make it to your destination.

This is intriguing to say the least.

When using Luggage Valet (if the cruise line even offers it and I don't believe MSC does) you are given your luggage airline tags to put on your luggage the night before you depart. If any baggage fees are charged by the airline, you pay those when you get the tags from Guest Relations. So, your bags are handled as if you had checked them in yourself at the airport. It's a great service (usually a $20-$25 charge for it) and you don't see your luggage until you arrive at your destination. Only available for domestic flights however.

I asked this question a few weeks ago and was told “no”. However, one time in Fort Lauderdale, I called the valet service directly, and we were able to hand the bags off to them after we claimed them and went through customs. In FLL, it is especially helpful on a busy port day (mainly weekends).

Thanks for the information I may try doing it that way

When using Luggage Valet (if the cruise line even offers it and I don't believe MSC does) you are given your luggage airline tags to put on your luggage the night before you depart. If any baggage fees are charged by the airline, you pay those when you get the tags from Guest Relations. So, your bags are handled as if you had checked them in yourself at the airport. It's a great service (usually a $20-$25 charge for it) and you don't see your luggage until you arrive at your destination. Only available for domestic flights however.

Thank you Beth. Presumably then, this only works if you have booked your flights through the cruise line?

Thank you Beth. Presumably then, this only works if you have booked your flights through the cruise line?

You do not have to

book your flights with the cruise lines I have used it three times and it makes it easy going through customs. I hope MSC start this service soon.

If folks start putting on the comment card, "please implement luggage valet", they just might start. On other lines that we've sailed on that use it, you do not have to book air through the cruise line, and it didn't make any difference which airline you were flying on. On Princess anyway out of FLL anyway, you could not use it if your flight was before noon.

I have seem it done a couple of ways...

When you put your bags out the night before disembarking, it is the last time you see them until you arrive at your home airport.

I also used a service where you had to claim your luggage in the terminal and then hand it to the valet after customs.

Either way, is really simplifies the process.

wasn't offered or mentioned last week in Europe

I'm not at all surprised Roatanfans as it is unheard of here.

Sorry, but I still do not understand how it works. Your baggage tag carries a bar code unique to your piece of luggage, on a particular flight of a particular airline. Look at any tag on your bag and it will show the 3 letter code for the arrival airport, e.g. MIA for Miami. You will also find your name and flight number and other information. As your bag passes through the baggage conveyors, the barcode is read and used to direct your bag to the correct aircraft. How can Guest Services on board the shop possibly generate such a tag?

Obviously there is a way as it happens, but I'm darned if I understand it. :confused:

I'm not at all surprised Roatanfans as it is unheard of here.

Sorry, but I still do not understand how it works. Your baggage tag carries a bar code unique to your piece of luggage, on a particular flight of a particular airline. Look at any tag on your bag and it will show the 3 letter code for the arrival airport, e.g. MIA for Miami. You will also find your name and flight number and other information. As your bag passes through the baggage conveyors, the barcode is read and used to direct your bag to the correct aircraft. How can Guest Services on board the shop possibly generate such a tag?

Obviously there is a way as it happens, but I'm darned if I understand it. :confused:

You give the desk your boarding pass and they make the arrangements for the tags

You have to print your boarding pass the day before or already have it.

I really appreciate you all trying to help, but I'll have to stay in the dark on this one, especially as I will never need the service anyway!

Now, if I understand correctly, the day before debarking, I need to find the means and a printer to check in and print my boarding pass. Then I give this to Guest Relations who will somehow produce the baggage tag with its unique barcode. It seems like a lot of hassle to me just to avoid checking your bag at the airport.

Thanks everyone. Time to move on, with my apologies to the OP for any thread drift.

I really appreciate you all trying to help, but I'll have to stay in the dark on this one, especially as I will never need the service anyway!

Now, if I understand correctly, the day before debarking, I need to find the means and a printer to check in and print my boarding pass. Then I give this to Guest Relations who will somehow produce the baggage tag with its unique barcode. It seems like a lot of hassle to me just to avoid checking your bag at the airport.

Actually, all you have to do is sign up for the service sometime during the cruise. On the day prior to disembarkation, the airline boarding pass(es) and ship baggage tags are delivered to your stateroom (no need to seek a printer). Via this process, you are also automatically check in for your flight(s). I don't believe the airline-supplied destination tags are affixed to the bags until they arrive at the airport, but my memory is a little fuzzy about that. I agree with you that it is a little mind boggling that it works, but then again, this process is being handled by a business that specializes in it... and performs the tasks hundreds of times a day.

I will shut up about it, now, too! :)