Venice to Barcelona

Mackdogmolly

Sorry, meant also to ask whether they have continued with the local dish offering in Windows at lunch time? We had some fabulous Croatian dishes during our trip cooked up by Chef Colin and team looked over by Mr Daniel. I especially remember a lovely seafood both with fresh produce in a tomato sauce with lots of garlic. Amazing! A really good addition, located next to the joint of the day, I just hope it’s a permanent addition reflecting the localness in food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had a really good Mediterranean fish dish in Windows for lunch today. Assuming it was local! Also, I am finding the included wines pretty acceptable. And have used the trick of asking for the previous night ‘s selection on occasion. I did spring for an upgraded glass of rose at dinner last night, but haven’t seen the need for an upgraded package. Will definitely try to stay up tonight!!

While with Captain Carl a few years back we saw Stromboli at night and it was quite interesting. My only tip is to watch it live, not through a camera lens as my sister spent her time taking shots and they weren’t memorable. Be in the moment.

Had dinner tonight in the MDR, and honestly, except for the crowds, do not see a big difference in quality from the specialty restaurant. We had a fantastic meal of Mediterranean Sea bass. Our servers were Maria from Jacarta and Baron from the Philippines. We had a great chat with him because we have a SIL of who is Philopino. Then went up on deck 11 for the Straight of Messina passage.

While with Captain Carl a few years back we saw Stromboli at night and it was quite interesting. My only tip is to watch it live, not through a camera lens as my sister spent her time taking shots and they weren’t memorable. Be in the moment.

Great tip, Thelma. When we passed by, there were a couple of very brief eruptions, that had I tried to photograph them I would have missed the experience. Later, we saw another from our aft balcony. Quite a night!

Today - Sorrento! We took the first tender out at 8 am with 3 other couples (met on our roll call) for an Almalfi coast tour from Annalisa Tours of Sorrento. This was an 8 hour tour of the coast that included Positino, Ravello and Almalfi, with a stop on the way back in Positino for a wonderful prix fix lunch at a restaurant that our guide booked for us (not included-but great). The scenery was breathtaking and our guide seemed knowledgeable and charming. Mostly he talked as he drove and then gave us some time on our own in the towns. Tonight on board, we have the Italian tenor David Righeschi performing on the pool deck at 9. Won’t miss that.

Yesterday-Roma! One of our Roll Callers kindly organized another private tour for 8. We were picked up at the port and only took an hour to reach Rome, not too much traffic. We hit a lot of highlights for a first time visitor-the Arch, Collesium, Forum, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain. Most of these were short stops on our own. We had a nice lunch break before a 2 hour narrated tour of the Vatican. Last night we did the French Chef’s Table, which was truly unforgettable. Very tempted by the current double upgrade sale!

Yesterday-Roma! One of our Roll Callers kindly organized another private tour for 8. We were picked up at the port and only took an hour to reach Rome, not too much traffic. We hit a lot of highlights for a first time visitor-the Arch, Collesium, Forum, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain. Most of these were short stops on our own. We had a nice lunch break before a 2 hour narrated tour of the Vatican. Last night we did the French Chef’s Table, which was truly unforgettable. Very tempted by the current double upgrade sale!

Touring Rome as a group of 8 new friends sounds lovely!

Re Double Upgrade, if you see a future cruise that interests you, there are benefits to booking while onboard. Chat with our LCV Cruise Again manager onboard.

Touring Rome as a group of 8 new friends sounds lovely!

Re Double Upgrade, if you see a future cruise that interests you, there are benefits to booking while onboard. Chat with our LCV Cruise Again manager onboard.

I was wondering about that, as my TA is also having a big Labor Day sale that offers a lot of OBC. How would that work if I booked onboard?

I was wondering about that, as my TA is also having a big Labor Day sale that offers a lot of OBC. How would that work if I booked onboard?

When you book on board you ask Azamara to transfer your booking to your TA. Might be wise to talk to your TA first & make sure you’d still get their OBC as well as Azamara’s.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are starting our cruise on the Pursuit from Rome. We are staying in central Rome for 3 days before the cruise, which we booked on our own. I understand it takes about an hour and a half to get to the port in Civitavichia (sp). Does that check out with what you experienced?

Thanks for all the info - sounds like you are having a great trip. This will be our first time on Azamara, also.

There are a lot of variables but in general OBC issued from us (Azamara) is separate and combineable with OBC issued from your TA. So you could end up with quite a bit of onboard credit!

But, the bigger question is whether a booking made onboard now, would transfer and qualify for your agent’s Labor Day Sale by tomorrow (Labor Day). That may be up to your agent.

We are starting our cruise on the Pursuit from Rome. We are staying in central Rome for 3 days before the cruise, which we booked on our own. I understand it takes about an hour and a half to get to the port in Civitavichia (sp). Does that check out with what you experienced?

Thanks for all the info - sounds like you are having a great trip. This will be our first time on Azamara, also.

Our driver got us to the terminal in about an hour, but I suppose it depends on the time of day and traffic. I think if you allowed 90 minutes you’d be fine. BTW, we were able to board the ship a little earlier than indicated on our cruise documents and it was quick and efficient! Enjoy your cruise!

Yesterday, we were so exhausted from Rome, and having made no plans for Florence (I know-sacrilege!), we decided we would explore Livorno. We set out mid morning on foot with a map and a vague idea of finding the canals and hoping for a tour by boat. Well, the skies opened up and what can a girl do then but shop! New dress secured, we really had nothing to do but mad dash it back to the ship in the torrential rain under one umbrella. We were soaked. When the sun came out later, decided to call it an extra sea day and read and did a little day drinking on the pool deck. Later, had cocktails at the Discoveries bar, where we ran into our next door neighbors, Tom and Elba from Hawaii. We ended up having a very enjoyable dinner with them and Elba’s brother and sister-in-law. Today we are in Monte Carlo and tonight is White Night!

Our driver got us to the terminal in about an hour, but I suppose it depends on the time of day and traffic. I think if you allowed 90 minutes you’d be fine. BTW, we were able to board the ship a little earlier than indicated on our cruise documents and it was quick and efficient! Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks!! We are going to Livorno and Monte Carlo on our cruise, also. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your cruise. You are making me look even more forward to ours.

Went to old Monaco this morning. Very easy to do on your own if you have no mobility issues. It’s beautiful and sparkling clean. For 19 euros each we bought a combined ticket to the oceanographic museum (aquarium) and the palace tour. Unfortunately, no photos allowed in the palace, but you do get to go through 13 gorgeous rooms with a hand held audio guide. We went back to the ship for lunch in Windows before setting out for the afternoon in Monte Carlo. You can reach Monte Carlo via a 2 Euro ferry across the harbor that runs about every 20 minutes. Once there, I recommend (in retrospect) taking a hop on, hop off tour. We didn’t and got lost! Seems much bigger than old Monaco, but found our way eventually!

White Night party last night! Met up with our (now) old friends Barbara and Helen from FL and CA and enjoyed cocktails, wine, and a fabulous bbq under perfect skies. Pretty much closed the place down. Tendered today in Cassis, in the south of France, about 30 minutes from Marseille. A small town known for its Boullibaisse. Except that most restaurants (at least the ones we stumbled across) need you to order it in advance. So slight disappointment there. Still, enjoyed some excellent grilled sea bass and a nice rose for lunch. Last port before debarkation tomorrow in Barcelona. Where did the time go??

On our last evening onboard, we decided to enjoy our own private sail away. We (reluctantly) packed up and then had cocktails on our veranda before an 8:15 reservation at Aqualina. This was our first time at this specialty restaurant, and the first thing that struck us was how (we thought) glaringly bright it was. We were hoping for a more intimate feel. We asked if the lights could be dimmed a little and were told that they only had an on or off switch. IMHO, that would be an easy fix and a big improvement to the atmosphere of the venue. The food was good - I had the lobster bisque and the Dover sole, but I didn’t think it was leaps and bounds over the MDR. The Chef’s Table, on the other hand, is worth every penny.

We had breakfast this morning in Windows, catching up and saying our goodbyes to new friends, before disembarking in Barcelona around 9:00 am. This went very smoothly, and we had no trouble finding our luggage ( very organized). Sadly, because of some unknown variables in our future schedules, we were not able to book another cruise while onboard, but there are several itineraries that look wonderful. It’s a great cruise line and the Quest is a wonderful ship. We hope to return one day!