Viking Homelands excursions - Gluten Free

CatGirl922

I can read where there are lots of options onboard if you need to eat gluten free. However, does anyone have experience being on a paid excursion where you are away from the ship for many hours and lunch is part of it?? I can see where people on the Flam RR trip said they just got a sandwich. Obviously, that wouldn't do and I'd need to make sure I took food with me from the ship. Any experiences?

On our cruise last April on Viking Sea I had two days where lunch was going to be a challenge for me. In the morning, in the World Cafe, I got a gluten free bun and made myself a sandwich using the cold cuts and cheese that are always part of the breakfast buffet. Then I didn’t have to worry about gluten free options at lunch time.

With respect to the previous reply, many ports do not permit any food, particularly - fruits, vegetables or meats to be taken off the vessel. Getting caught can lead to sanctions from the local authorities and at a minimum would most likely result in missing your tour.

While we have no experience with Viking Tours, any tour that provides meals or snacks, in our experience the tour operators are very diligent in dealing with any allergy issues. My suggestion would be to advise the tour desk on the ship of gluten free requirement, so tour operator is advised in advance. Then on the bus, discuss with the tour guide.

We have completed many tours (both ship and private) throughout the world and have never experienced any issues with allergies.

I never thought about that, Heidi13! I brought my own lunch for our private 2 day tour in St. Petersburg. Luckily we sailed through Customs and no one searched my purse. But since I get violently ill if I consume gluten, it’s too big a leap of faith for me to trust that the communication about my issues will be accurate. So, I will have to think about how to cope on our next cruise should there be an included lunch. Go hungry is an option, I guess.

Port Hope - In SPB last year we did the 2 days with Alla. We notified them of allergies on the website and the guide confirmed with us on the bus. She called the restaurant to confirm and the 2nd day, we received specific boxed lunches.

It was definitely a challenge, since all the guides conversations were not in our language. We definitely consider ourselves fortunate, as we have not had any issues.

You really don't want to try to take food off the ship! The only place where we have been told it is totally safe to do that is POA in Hawaii. We took food off every day but that is because the ship does not leave the US. If you go anywhere that requires customs, food can get you into a heap of trouble. Just ask the lady who accidently took the apple from her flight off the plane with her!!! Some ports have dogs...and hiding food on your person or somewhere else does not work!

On Viking River I did have the crew once call (without my asking!) to find a restaurant that was safe for me during a "lunch on your own" portion of a full day excursion. I am gluten free but have other allergies, too. That was wonderful of them to do but appreciate Viking Ocean has a lot more passengers to assist so I'm not sure what to expect there.

I travel with the assumption I won't be able to eat anything on excursions so I bring prepackaged GF snack bars on cruises. Because they are sealed by the manufacturers I've never had problems taking them through customs/security at ports. Frankly, even if the folks on shore say the food is safe for me to eat I really don't trust it. I've been burned too many times by restaurants who don't understand gluten free and I certainly don't want to spend a big chunk of my vacation feeling sick. Some countries also sell wheat products for people with Celiac Disease that are actually low gluten rather than gluten free. That's still too much gluten for me.

I will say that countries are likely to restrict the importation of fruits, vegetables, meat, alcohol, and cheeses. If you just brought some GF bread or rolls to eat while ashore you're unlikely to have problems at the port but that would depend on the country and the person working the port

I am celiac and was on Viking Homelands in May 2018. In ST Petersburg I had a private tour with TJ and both lunches a gf meal was provided. In Berlin, I went on Vikings Historic Berlin and the restaurant provides a gf meal ordered by Viking. I did speak to the tour guide too.. on Flam RR, a lunch was provided at A hotel and my gf needs were honored.

I didn't get sick..