Penthouse double booked!

mitchdew

I booked a cruise back in June for a Canada New Englan cruise this simmer 06. We booked the PH and then HAL switched their comupter system and my bk# got cxld automatically.

My travel agent found out like a month later when she was trying to add my amex platinum tracking number.

She was told that our PH was already booked from other travel agency and they would get it back for us.

Is been almost 6 months and we are still waiting from HAL.

Anybody had an experience like this before?

Seems like the new reservations system is not the best.

This sure sounds like something of an Ooops. Is it possible for you to book/cruise a different date? Does your TA (or you) have a written HAL confirmation of your booking with the date and "PS" clearly delineated? Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Yea, we have a old booking number and a new bk number with letters involved. They are blamimg the "polar" new computer system.

They said that when the old bookings were migrated to the new system some got cxld and with any advise to clients or travel agents.

HAL says that we will get it back but seems like the travel agent that booked after us does not want to give up the PH.

We are still booked but with no cabin assigned. They have our deposit and everything.

I imagine that the passengers holding the PH now are not willing to change their accomodation . The problem is that they only have 1 PH .

It seems to me that both HAL and your TA are at fault here. Good business would say that the situation should have been resolved soon after it was discovered.

Six months is far too long for your TA to have waited (for you, too) after speaking with them.

You could point out to HAL that they took your money to deliver a Product/Service which through THEIR computer error they no longer can deliver. The question is "What are they going to do about it?" in order to preserve good relations with a top of the line customer.

I think a reasonable solution would be for HAL to offer you another PS suite at another time or on another ship and a 25% discount for their mistake. They could also offer you a suite on the same ship at a sizeable discount. That's what I would ask for.

This is also a good time to look for another TA who will be helpful in situations of this kind.

Roberta

Why should OP ask for another sailing date/ another suite/ another anything? It seems to me that the OP had made reservation and deposit prior to the second booking (and seems can back it up with documentation). HAL should simply go back to the second person to resolve the issue, and let the first person with the reservation have the room. IMHO

Why should OP ask for another sailing date/ another suite/ another anything? It seems to me that the OP had made reservation and deposit prior to the second booking (and seems can back it up with documentation). HAL should simply go back to the second person to resolve the issue, and let the first person with the reservation have the room. IMHO

I agree completely, assuming the OP was the initial "owner" of the PH suite. First come, first served.

Also agree the TA shouldn't have let this drag on for 6 months.

I Did Not say OP should have to change their sailing date. They should not have to but if they are able to do so, it could possibly be a means of working out the problem.

Sure there has been a bad mistake made here. What everyone wants is to make it better.

MAYBE ?? (while it is not necessary), the problem might be worked out that way......of course, with a suitable "So Sorry".

The second person who booked that "PS" also has been wronged through no fault of theirs. I'm sure they are reluctant to give it up. Why should they? They didn't do anything to cause the problem.

So...sometimes cooperation between all parties finds a resolution that is acceptable to all. HAL can only accomodate one of these bookings in that cabin on that date.

I agree completely, assuming the OP was the initial "owner" of the PH suite. First come, first served.

Also agree the TA shouldn't have let this drag on for 6 months.

Sure, first come, first served sounds totally fair but it really isn't in this case. IMO

The second person who booked that cabin did nothing wrong and they don't want to give it up. They innocently made the booking and put down their deposit. They see it as their cabin. So would I in that set of circumstances.

Wouldn't most of us feel that way? We'd say....No way we're giving up this cabin. You made the mistake; You make it right some other way.

HAL first needs to make amends with the original owner. If a suitable alternative can be reached, then great. But IMO if the original owner can only sail on the date scheduled, then the 2nd owner should be the occupant displaced. Sure, if that were the situation and I was the 2nd owner, I'd be upset. But as long as HAL produced documentation the 1st owner deposited before me, I could do nothing but accept. But then I'd also know I'm now in the driver's seat w/HAL when it comes to negotiating my alternative arrangements. Nothing quite like being in the driver's seat!

Totally agree.

However, the TA was extremely lax in not following up with HAL - considering the commission from such a sale, it's surprising that things have come to this point. Of course the OP was lax in not following up with the TA - I personally would have been much less patient.

I'd say the onus is on HAL to make things right for all concerned. It's web site of late has been the pits! It will be interesting to see how it all comes out.

We can not move our sailing date because we are part of a group of 200 passengers.

Our TA always blocks the PH for us every year.

She was told that we would get it back, period. But after six months i do not know what to think.

Her TA is one of the top producers of HAL i am sure that they do not want her agency take her passengers to other cruiseline if they do not fix this issue.

I was just wondering if anybody else had this situation before and if it was solved fairly.

Thnaks for all your coments

That certainly makes it clear they must straighten out this problem in your favor. If you have that cabin every year, you are cruising with a large group....that should be the whole story.

I feel bad for the people who booked after you but you have to be accomodated IMO

The 'what to think part' would (possibly) seem to be the other people are not yielding graciously.

HAL will have the final say in the matter, of course. It is possible you won't feel certainty the problem has been resolved until you make final payment. Obviously, if they accept your final payment, they have agreed it is your cabin. It might be the only way they are going to get the others to give it up will be unpleasant.....they don't want to 'injure' them any more than can be helped. They will have to refuse their final payment....it would seem.

Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

OR........Will they make it a case of who coughs up final payment first????? Things like this, the upgrade fairy, the Mariner Magazine, etc. etc. etc.....no one really knows just how they work, or what makes HAL tick.

Will be curious to see how it all works out in the end. Even if OP gets the cabin, as it should be, it would be interesting to find out how they appease the other travelers.

I just had a thought. Are the other people booked into the same cabin a part of your group?

Will be curious to see how it all works out in the end. Even if OP gets the cabin, as it should be, it would be interesting to find out how they appease the other travelers.

Unless they post here, we probably will never know.

Sure, first come, first served sounds totally fair but it really isn't in this case. IMO

The second person who booked that cabin did nothing wrong and they don't want to give it up. They innocently made the booking and put down their deposit. They see it as their cabin. So would I in that set of circumstances.

Wouldn't most of us feel that way? We'd say....No way we're giving up this cabin. You made the mistake; You make it right some other way.

The reason I stopped using American Airlines was because they did the same thing to me.

I had a full revenue First Class ticket on AA booked a month before flight time from LAX to Heathrow. Unfortunately, although the ticket was over $13,000, because I was a basic Aadvantage member, not elite, I lost. A passenger with some super duper status who was in front of me in the baggage check in line bought a First Class ticket on the flight I was on. It was about 2 hours before flight time. I heard his seat assignment which was the same as mine, so I intervened.

I was told to wait for the next agent. I did. When I reached the agent he apologized and said the First Class section was full and that I would be accomodated in Business Class. I said my seat was just sold by his colleague to a walkup passenger, which meant nothing at all to him.

I wound up in Business Class and was served from the first class galley...but offered no refund or other consideration. I did not get the expected flat bed seat for this 11 hour redeye flight.

Following the logic in this post, the super duper elite guy has as much right to my seat as I do, even though he bought a seat in an already sold out section after I did.

United Airlines gained a new customer after that.

The only difference in the two cases is that HAL acknowledged their "mistake." AA steadfastly refused to acknowledge that they did anything wrong and said that getting first class food and drink made me whole. (I did get to use my First Class ticket on the return, although again, my preassigned seat was sold to someone else from LHR to LAX.)

The Penthouse Class was sold out (the one PH was sold to the OP) but HAL sold it a second time to someone else, and decided to tell the OP, tough luck, just as AA did with me.

I suspect that HAL has lost a loyal customer in mitchdew just as AA lost a loyal customer with me by their hamhanded approach.

I suspect that HAL has lost a loyal customer in mitchdew just as AA lost a loyal customer with me by their hamhanded approach.

Reminds me of a time when Hilton wouldn't honor a fully prepaid rate upon check-in. Despite the hotel having low occupany that particular night, it was more important to them not to honor the rate than to accomodate me and retain a loyal, satisfied customer. That was five years ago, and I've never harkened the door of any Hilton since.

The reason I stopped using American Airlines was because they did the same thing to me.

I had a full revenue First Class ticket on AA booked a month before flight time from LAX to Heathrow. Unfortunately, although the ticket was over $13,000, because I was a basic Aadvantage member, not elite, I lost. A passenger with some super duper status who was in front of me in the baggage check in line bought a First Class ticket on the flight I was on. It was about 2 hours before flight time. I heard his seat assignment which was the same as mine, so I intervened.

I was told to wait for the next agent. I did. When I reached the agent he apologized and said the First Class section was full and that I would be accomodated in Business Class. I said my seat was just sold by his colleague to a walkup passenger, which meant nothing at all to him.

I wound up in Business Class and was served from the first class galley...but offered no refund or other consideration. I did not get the expected flat bed seat for this 11 hour redeye flight.

Following the logic in this post, the super duper elite guy has as much right to my seat as I do, even though he bought a seat in an already sold out section after I did.

United Airlines gained a new customer after that.

The only difference in the two cases is that HAL acknowledged their "mistake." AA steadfastly refused to acknowledge that they did anything wrong and said that getting first class food and drink made me whole. (I did get to use my First Class ticket on the return, although again, my preassigned seat was sold to someone else from LHR to LAX.)

The Penthouse Class was sold out (the one PH was sold to the OP) but HAL sold it a second time to someone else, and decided to tell the OP, tough luck, just as AA did with me.

WOW!! It's difficult to believe that AA pulled that kind of crap on a paying International First Class customer. You must have been livid!! Just curious if you posted this story on FlyerTalk? I think you are due a serious refund here, whether or not the food for your outbound leg was from the First Class galley. You will probably get some interesting feedback if you post this on FlyerTalk.

Just curious if you posted this story on FlyerTalk? You will probably get some interesting feedback if you post this on FlyerTalk.

FlyerTalk also came to my mind as I read Walt's story. The folks over there on the AA board would have a field day with that one. I for one would be interested in their feedback.

http://http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=445

We can not move our sailing date because we are part of a group of 200 passengers.

Our TA always blocks the PH for us every year.

She was told that we would get it back, period. But after six months i do not know what to think.

Her TA is one of the top producers of HAL i am sure that they do not want her agency take her passengers to other cruiseline if they do not fix this issue.

I was just wondering if anybody else had this situation before and if it was solved fairly.

Thnaks for all your coments

Being part of a group of 200 perhaps puts a different slant on things. I wonder if the entire group is booked with the same agency? Normally the agency handling any group has a space quota and it may well include the PH. Which ship are you talking about?

It's unclear to me if Our TA

and Her TA

are one and the same person. It could make a difference.

Perhaps this kind of upset deserves the attention of the Chairman's Office. Call the Chairman's office and ask to speak with his secretary. Tell her (or him) your whole story. Tell them you think it is not right - that you are a loyal HAL cruiser and you would like better consideration. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Roberta

Archived