Carrying of Passports compulsory ?

SwanseaVillanReturns

I think the passport thing has been about beaten to death.

But then I figured I might as well throw in my 2 cents worth.

Some years back while working in the Netherlands my co-worker and I drove over to Germany for dinner. Coming back across the border (no border crossing) there were 2 local policemen randomly stoping cars and checking documents. I had a copy of my passport (always carry) but my co-worker did not. We were given a lot of hassle and it seemed they were getting close to taking him in. He remembered he had his US drivers license which he retrieved from his backpack. After some more lecturing on having passport they let us go.

Only time I have ever been stopped in the Netherlands during around 23 years of traveling there for work.

Just goes to show you never know when you will be asked for documents.

However, I always just carry a copy and not the passport itself.

Oh no. Just somebody wrote "the passport thing has been about beaten to death" the next one needs to proclaim again "no one will bother you" if you violate the law.

It does not matter how often people proudly exclaim that they do not carry a passport, it is still the law eg in Italy and you can still get in serious trouble.

Everybody looking for advice here obviously will have to take his own decision.

Just please be aware that "On cruisecritic somebody wrote "no one will bother you" or "I never took one in 30 years" " will have little weight in any conversation with officers of the law.

We were sailing on Alilaguna "bus" in Venice and one American couple forgot to buy a ticket. Controller stepped on board and checked everybody's tickets. Couple without one was asked to provide their passports.

Oh no. Just somebody wrote "the passport thing has been about beaten to death" the next one needs to proclaim again "no one will bother you" if you violate the law.

It does not matter how often people proudly exclaim that they do not carry a passport, it is still the law eg in Italy and you can still get in serious trouble.

Just please be aware that "On cruisecritic somebody wrote "no one will bother you" or "I never took one in 30 years" " will have little weight in any conversation with officers of the law.

Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But again (at risk of repeating myself), what does one make of the fact that the cruise line is holding one's passport and doesn't seem to feel that it is needed? Surely if it was "required," that requirement would be communicated to the dozens of cruise ships stopping at these Italian ports daily, and the ship would give them out and ensure that passengers know to take them -- just as they do in, let's say, St. Petersburg or Alexandria.

As it is, many ships hold the passports and I'm guessing most passengers wouldn't know enough to challenge their view or ask individually to get their passport back for the day....

But again (at risk of repeating myself), what does one make of the fact that the cruise line is holding one's passport and doesn't seem to feel that it is needed? Surely if it was "required," that requirement would be communicated to the dozens of cruise ships stopping at these Italian ports daily, and the ship would give them out and ensure that passengers know to take them -- just as they do in, let's say, St. Petersburg or Alexandria.

As it is, many ships hold the passports and I'm guessing most passengers wouldn't know enough to challenge their view or ask individually to get their passport back for the day....

Mom is correct. If the cruise line keeps your passport, make sure you carry a colour photocopy with you for all excursions.