NCL Star sailing August 12-19/18, the 'jumper', NCL's response to my our "Case"

DeniseAtBeach

Perhaps if you write a new letter (not opening another case, but just writing a letter) and leave out the part about some sort of goodwill gesture for your upcoming cruises (because obviously that is what they took from your letter) and just explain what you need for your insurance claim, I think you will be more successful. I wouldn't ask for every detail, just what time you were able to finally get to port and how many hours delayed was it. I would also look up the media's coverage of the jumper and add that with the other information to your insurance company.

BTW, you might also include with your new letter to NCL, a copy of your insurance policy and where they state what they need or a letter from them stating what they need to reimburse you.

I agree with this. Since you asked for a goodwill gesture, your case was lumped in that pile to receive that form letter. Try again, simply ask for a timeline that your insurance company requested.

Thanks for sharing OP. You are brave because such a letter will open up a can of worms here.

Having said that, I could not disagree with you more. There is NOTHING to complain to NCL about. Whether the passenger fell or jumped has nothing to do with NCL's obligation to save a life. Even if she jumped its still a miracle survival story. Taking a moving vacation involves many risks. Missing a flight or being delayed is a small and trivial issue in this thing called life. NCL should be commended for their amazing job at saving a life. Its unfortunate it made an impact on your cruise but such is life. Not sure how you want to hold the cruise line responsible. If you fell or jumped I think you would appreciate NCL not giving up on you.

Just out of curiosity. For how many people were those 5k airfare costs?

No doubt that the stress would be a horrible way to end a vacation but whenever those big cruise delays occur I check some random transatlantic prices for the next day and even though the routing is sometimes not the greatest I never saw highly inflated prices.

I thought posting the NCL response might be helpful, yet set myself up. Why are all message boards like this?
Like what?

This is a public message board where you will encounter a wide range of opinions from a wide range of people. Some opinions will seem agreeable to you while others will not. Sometimes truth can't be sugarcoated. Sometimes the answer is "no".

This is a forum, not a support group. Nobody is owed a 100% acceptance of their opinion.

I can sympathize with you. I received a similar letter from NCL in 2011. We were stranded in NOLA for 2 days because the ship could not come into port due to a tropical storm (took our 7 day cruise down to a 5). My travel insurance required a letter from the cruise line, on their letter head, detailing the reason for the delay. NCL was very difficult to deal with for this. It took me almost a month of badgering. I didn't want compensation, I just need to prove to my insurance company that NCL, as a carrier, did have a delay from the original sail date.

You do realize that you don't "file" a class action suit right? If sufficient numbers file a similar claim you can file a petition with the courts to be granted class action status. However the plaintiffs usually end up with almost nothing in class action cases. Most often a coupon or voucher of some sort that required a substantial purchase of some sort in order to be used. The only people who make out ion a CA case is the lawyers.

Yes (sigh). I work in the legal field. My comment was tongue-in-cheek.