Tell Me About Serenade

Ukigirl

I know this is a subjective question but with the exception of one time on Navigator, we’ve only cruised on Oasis class and I absolutely love the mega ships. So much to do and explore, never seems crowded to me, Starbucks every morning, Aqua and Broadway shows and of course, Central Park. Going on a 12 night cruise on Serenade in October with friends, I am looking forward to seeing more ocean all around but what else is there to do? Port days are planned, six cruising days woohoo. Yes haters, I’m lucky to be going, very excited, not complaining just looking for some thoughts from anyone whose experienced different classes of ships. No Starbucks, right?

I loved Serenade. It's not nearly as big as Oasis class. But I think it's beautiful. I, personally, love the smaller ships. I feel that it's more like a "cruise," and not as much like a "resort." Don't get me wrong, I love Oasis Class and all they offer. But smaller ships are more intimate. You see the same crew members and same passengers so you become more familiar with people on board. Serenade has around 2500 passengers. It's newer than Vision Class so has some nice amenities. Has an area with pool tables, has Rock Climbing, has a Cinema, miniature golf, a kids area with a small slide, a Pub, specialty restaurants, and, IMHO, one of the nicest Chef's Table in the fleet. Our experience at Chef's Table was a true highlight. Keep in mind, that was a few years ago so the crew has changed, but the dedicated room was beautiful and it was a great experience. Don't remember if it had a Starbucks or not.

I loved the ship, and the cruise, Southern Caribbean 11 night, was one of the best we've taken.

P.S. Go on Youtube and watch a ship tour of Serenade. It'll help you answer your questions.

I know this is a subjective question but with the exception of one time on Navigator, we’ve only cruised on Oasis class and I absolutely love the mega ships. So much to do and explore, never seems crowded to me, Starbucks every morning, Aqua and Broadway shows and of course, Central Park. Going on a 12 night cruise on Serenade in October with friends, I am looking forward to seeing more ocean all around but what else is there to do? Port days are planned, six cruising days woohoo. Yes haters, I’m lucky to be going, very excited, not complaining just looking for some thoughts from anyone whose experienced different classes of ships. No Starbucks, right?

Yesterday's thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2678239

Have sailed the Radiance, Serenade & Brilliance and twice on the Liberty of the Seas, love this class. Favorite lunch location is outside, back of the WJ on the Radiance Class. Another popular location for sitting and enjoying the ocean, is the Schooner Bar. I am sure you will enjoy the Serenade.

I agree with Desert Cruiser that the Schooner Bar and the outdoor seating area in the back of the WJ are pluses for the Serenade. They have a pastry and coffee shop that is quite nice. It isn't as large and doesn't offer as much as the Promenade Cafe on the bigger ships. It is still a nice place to get a snack.

We have sailed Oasis, Allure and just got off Harmony in August. If you are doing the Boston to Caribbean repo, we will be on that same cruise. Lots of folks do that particular cruise every year, so it is a favorite of many.

We love the Radiance class ships, they are so easy to get around and you can see the ocean from almost everywhere. The outside area of Windjammer is a favorite spot, as is the Schoonr Bar, and the pub is quite a gathering spot during sporting events, as is the outdoor screen at the pool. Lots of New Englanders on this cruise, so if the Red Sox or Patriots are playing (and being shown on the screens), it is party time.

We like the Oasis class but we love the Radiance class. More like being on a ship rather than being in a shopping mall. There are more things to do on Oasis class, but since we wouldn't be rock climbing or flowriding, we are happy with activities on Serenade.

The crew is a big part of any cruise, and we have found the crew on the smaller ships to be more friendly, more outgoing and super good. I think with less people they can get to know you better and interact with you more, JMHO.