MDR vs Windjammer

5 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

Do you happen to know how far in advance you can actually see things in the App, like sample menus? Is it like 90 days or something? Going on the new Symphony in 2019 so my app is currently empty and I can't look at anything. Thanks. 

No idea, but if it is like when they open reservations in the Cruise Planner on Royal's website, it's probably going to be random times.

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Nope, reservations are not necessary.  If you want to make reservations, visit the My Time desk at the entrance to the dining room.  The Cruise Compass will also list a phone extension for My Time dining reservations.

*Whew* thank you so much! 😎

8 minutes ago, momneedsrest said:

*Whew* thank you so much! 😎

They aren’t 100% needed but it depends on how long you would like to wait. Personally, I would prefer not have to wait a long time for a table so I always make reservations for most nights even when doing my time. Simply because most nights that I have done MDR, the line for no reservations has been really long. So it would depend if you are alright with potentially waiting a while. But depending on your cruise and what time you are planning to eat, there might not be a long line. Just depends on your preferences. But just to note, at least on my last cruise a couple years ago on RCL, with my time dining, there were two lines one for people with reservations that was shorter and that moved faster by a good amount, and another longer one for people without reservations. So if y’all aren’t in a hurry and don’t mind possibly needing to wait a while since people with reservations are seated first, then yes there isn’t any need for making reservations. 

Just depends on how you want to cruise. Either way my time dining is wonderful! Have a great cruise. 

Edited by sh2738

1 hour ago, sh2738 said:

They aren’t 100% needed but it depends on how long you would like to wait. Personally, I would prefer not have to wait a long time for a table so I always make reservations for most nights even when doing my time. Simply because most nights that I have done MDR, the line for no reservations has been really long. So it would depend if you are alright with potentially waiting a while. But depending on your cruise and what time you are planning to eat, there might not be a long line. Just depends on your preferences. But just to note, at least on my last cruise a couple years ago on RCL, with my time dining, there were two lines one for people with reservations that was shorter and that moved faster by a good amount, and another longer one for people without reservations. So if y’all aren’t in a hurry and don’t mind possibly needing to wait a while since people with reservations are seated first, then yes there isn’t any need for making reservations. 

Just depends on how you want to cruise. Either way my time dining is wonderful! Have a great cruise. 

I appreciate your advice! I will need to discuss this with the fam. 

We normally eat in the MDR for dinner, second seating, but it's worth at least walking through the Windjammer on some nights before going to the MDR because they'll have specials - like Chocolate Dessert Bar night - which you won't want to miss that don't seem to be advertised anywhere in advance.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:03 AM, LMaxwell said:

Except for lobster, I've seen most of the MDR items and many items not on MDR menu. Frankly, Windjammer dinners have been better than MDR lately and that's a worrying trend, IMO

It depends on what criteria you use to consider the Windjammer "better". 

There are things that come along with the MDR that just don't happen in the Windjammer, and vice-versa.  The Windjammer has more selection, immediate seating, and no need to wait for anything.  The MDR has prepared plated meals, tableclothes, proper plates and glasses, no need to get up for your food, a more refined environment, etc...  It just depends on what you prefer.

I've had the same protein in the MDR and the Windjammer (lamb chops for instance), and the plated meal in the MDR was better than the mass of them offered in the Windjammer.   While the Windjammer offers a vastly wider array of offerings, they also don't include some of my favorite appetizers.  Escargot, scallops, etc... 

I'm in no way saying that your, or others, opinion is wrong that the Windjammer is better, but it all depends on what you value out of a meal.

14 hours ago, oldguysandgalls said:

The Windjammer dinner selections are often more varied when compared to the dinner selections in the MDR. For a leisure lunch and/or dinner we prefer the Windjammer.

To me, the MDR is far more leisurely than the buffet.  I don't need to get up multiple times for anything, no searching for a table, etc...  You just walk in, sit down, and let the staff do the rest.  The only think more leisurely about the buffet may be the dress and the fact that you can come and go on your own schedule.

Dan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

It depends on what criteria you use to consider the Windjammer "better". 

There are things that come along with the MDR that just don't happen in the Windjammer, and vice-versa.  The Windjammer has more selection, immediate seating, and no need to wait for anything.  The MDR has prepared plated meals, tableclothes, proper plates and glasses, no need to get up for your food, a more refined environment, etc...  It just depends on what you prefer.

I've had the same protein in the MDR and the Windjammer (lamb chops for instance), and the plated meal in the MDR was better than the mass of them offered in the Windjammer.   While the Windjammer offers a vastly wider array of offerings, they also don't include some of my favorite appetizers.  Escargot, scallops, etc... 

I'm in no way saying that your, or others, opinion is wrong that the Windjammer is better, but it all depends on what you value out of a meal.

To me, the MDR is far more leisurely than the buffet.  I don't need to get up multiple times for anything, no searching for a table, etc...  You just walk in, sit down, and let the staff do the rest.  The only think more leisurely about the buffet may be the dress and the fact that you can come and go on your own schedule.

Dan

Agree 100%. I prefer MDR as it is nicer and more of a restaurant than a casual buffet, which I really can only do for breakfast and lunch. However, after seeing recent menus of the MDR, they are becoming very much not vegetarian friendly with only like 1 entree at the most that is for vegetarians and I cruise with a vegetarian so that is problematic. So we might end up having to eat dinner at the buffet if the MDR doesn’t offer more than one entree that vegetarians can eat, sometimes I don’t see any at all. Personally, all restaurants in cruise ships including specialty restaurants should have at least one appetizer and entree for vegetarians to eat but sadly there are very few specialty restaurants that have anything that a vegetarian can eat, which is a major disappointment. Hopefully this changes soon. Thanks. 

I love the WJ for breakfast, but have never been a fan for dinner.  Hfowever, on our Empress cruise  October 11, we decided to get a quick dinner before heading back out to Havana for the evening.  The food was really good, especially the 4 or 5 Indian selections.  I don’t recall seeing any of that night’s menu from the MDR or anyone providing drink service. 

Sherri🙂

On 10/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, sh2738 said:

Agree 100%. I prefer MDR as it is nicer and more of a restaurant than a casual buffet, which I really can only do for breakfast and lunch. However, after seeing recent menus of the MDR, they are becoming very much not vegetarian friendly with only like 1 entree at the most that is for vegetarians and I cruise with a vegetarian so that is problematic. So we might end up having to eat dinner at the buffet if the MDR doesn’t offer more than one entree that vegetarians can eat, sometimes I don’t see any at all. Personally, all restaurants in cruise ships including specialty restaurants should have at least one appetizer and entree for vegetarians to eat but sadly there are very few specialty restaurants that have anything that a vegetarian can eat, which is a major disappointment. Hopefully this changes soon. Thanks. 

Have you asked your server if there are any off-menu options?  It would likely need to be ordered the night before, but I've read of other lines being able to offer this. Good luck 🙂