Excursion to/from Civitavecchia and Rome

nautica34

Further to my post, you can look up the train schedules online before you go so you can try to plot your day out.

The trip is doable, but stressful. Worst case scenario the trains are not running due to a strike or other problems and you’d have to then hire a taxi to take you to/from. Then you’re paying big bucks. Keep contingency plans in mind.

Also watch out for pickpockets at and around the train station. Truth.

I love Rome. It’s an amazing city. I’ve seen a ton in my week here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for all the information and directions. Pick pocketing seems too common there. I plan to wear a waist pack that goes under my shirt but not sure about the camera would get much better pictures than phone.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I haven't used them; I navigate around on my own in Rome. I know it well, but it's not too difficult -- really.

Does your ship not offer a "transportation only" option? That might at least give you the comfort of getting to Rome and then back to your ship without the transportation hassles... If they do, we can give you directions on getting to the Colosseum and Trevi the best way, based on your dropoff/pickup point.

The ship does offer transportation only, its expensive and would need to get around once there. If I go with the tour, can bus really get back to port in an hour on a Sunday?

A side question since both are from Rome, what would be a good souvenir and what is the best place or area to purchase?

If I go with the tour, can bus really get back to port in an hour on a Sunday?

Yes, they can.

You will be in a tour bus. They know when to head back. They have done it many times and they can check traffic conditions on GPS.

Besides, why would they make that up? They are local, they know the traffic and they want to get you back on time. What are they going to do with a bus load of angry, stranded passengers?

You can check out the timing yourself in google maps. When you search for directions you can specify the time of day and the day of the week.

Edited by marazul

If I go with the tour, can bus really get back to port in an hour on a Sunday?

Yes, they can.

You will be in a tour bus. They know when to head back. They have done it many times and they can check traffic conditions on GPS.

Besides, why would they make that up? They are local, they know the traffic and they want to get you back on time. What are they going to do with a bus load of angry, stranded passengers?

You can check out the timing yourself in google maps. When you search for directions you can specify the time of day and the day of the week.

Not every company is reputable. Other ships in port that day leave later than mine. I did try googling directions which was very general since I didn't know the locations other than the city which is broad. Travel time 1 hour 20 minutes

There are 297 reviews of this company on Tripadvisor and they get four and a half stars. Maybe you should read some and in particular any one star reviews, which might indicate missing the ship. I suspect anybody who did would make a point of doing a bad review! If you cannot find any trace of this happening to anybody, then I would consider that made them pretty reliable.

Time depends on traffic. Yes it can be done in one hour in moderate traffic. Rush hour is another thing. Sunday at 3 pm should be fine. Try googling Colosseum (or Vatican City) to Civitavecchia port on a Sunday at 3. I get 1 hour and 4 minutes.

Do check the trip reviews as suggested. Check for the bad ones and how recent they are. And check for other companies too.

However, if you do not feel comfortable trusting them you should consider the ship's transportation or joining others in a private tour. Your peace of mind will be worth the extra expense.

Edited by marazul

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 5:30 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Colosseum to Trevi is far less than a 40 minute walk. More like 20 minutes, confirmed by Google Maps.

Just an FYI that walking from Colosseum to a Trevi is longer than 20 minutes.  We did it and it took almost an hours.  I would take a taxi!

13 hours ago, Karae said:

Just an FYI that walking from Colosseum to a Trevi is longer than 20 minutes.  We did it and it took almost an hours.  I would take a taxi!

I think you took the scenic route, which is never a bad thing in Rome! 20 minutes (as per Google Maps) is probably without traffic crossing, etc. But it definitely can be walked in less than an hour...we have done it a couple of times.