Excursion to/from Civitavecchia and Rome

nautica34

Looking for a shore excursion company to see the main sites in Rome. I'm not interested in private tours as I will be going solo. I found a great tour through Shore Excursion Group, however, the timing doesn't work. Tour needs to be less than 8 hours. Original plan was to take the train which sounds complicated and would need to get to the sites from there. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you look down the board there are many vendors recommended. Most of those vendors, like the wonderful Rome in Limo, have a tour share option. You would join groups already booked and offering seats in their tours.

Have you checked your Roll Call? Anyone there have a seat or two (of which you would of course take 1) available in their group excursion?

If you look down the board there are many vendors recommended. Most of those vendors, like the wonderful Rome in Limo, have a tour share option. You would join groups already booked and offering seats in their tours.

Have you checked your Roll Call? Anyone there have a seat or two (of which you would of course take 1) available in their group excursion?

I did scroll through the threads, the companies listed were very costly. Only a few people in roll call, they are interested in small group tours which would end up costing more than using the ship excursions

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The price for a solo on a 6-8 person tour of Rome with a private company should still be less than for one of the the cruise line tours -- and a better experience.

Some of the companies offer a tour share option/sign up -- have you looked for those options? They are frequently mentioned here but I haven't used any of them (I'm a solo traveler but just do Rome on my own....)

There really aren't 'cheap' options for tours from Civi -- the transportation alone to Rome and back by private vehicle is what costs $$$.

There was a service that provided a bus service to/from Rome and, for slight additional cost, would also take you to a limited number of sites. But it got very mixed reviews in terms of reliability.

You could look at http://www.civitatours.com.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks so much! Was looking for something just like this. I emailed them to see if available and about timing. Tours leave at 9:30 returning after 5 (seems to be the norm). Will be in port from 8 to 6 (all onboard at 5).

Thanks so much! Was looking for something just like this. I emailed them to see if available and about timing. Tours leave at 9:30 returning after 5 (seems to be the norm). Will be in port from 8 to 6 (all onboard at 5).

Returning after 5 when all aboard is 5pm is NOT a good thing... And departing at 9:30 has cost you an hour...

I am sorry to tell you that Rome may be the port where you need to adjust your budget and go on a more expensive tour. Whether with a roll call group, a shared private company tour, or a ship tour, this could be the way for you to visit Rome.

Hopefully you can compensate for the cost in another easier DIY port.

You could look at http://www.civitatours.com.

I received a response back from them. They said tour would leave Rome at 3 which would mean less time at the stops which I prefer. The website says leaves 4:30. Can trust the response?

I received a response back from them. They said tour would leave Rome at 3 which would mean less time at the stops which I prefer. The website says leaves 4:30. Can trust the response?

I think you can. Their website has "special departures" for ships with short port days.

http://www.civitatours.com/en/tours/special-departure/

They would not be in business very long if their clients keep missing the boat!

But do confirm with them again to make you feel safer. And remind them when you get in the van that morning. Chances are you will not be the only passenger from your ship on the tour.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t like to say whether you can trust the reply. However, you would expect them to run the tours to fit in with the ships in port. You could reconfirm on the day before boarding the bus, I suppose. Your ship is leaving very early for Civi, they do usually leave later than that.

I think you can. Their website has "special departures" for ships with short port days.

http://www.civitatours.com/en/tours/special-departure/

They would not be in business very long if their clients keep missing the boat!

But do confirm with them again to make you feel safer. And remind them when you get in the van that morning. Chances are you will not be the only passenger from your ship on the tour.

Just seen this reply. That is an excellent link you have found and certainly does seem like they can be relied upon to leave at 3 for the OP.

Thanks everyone for all the information/help. I did notuce special departures, however, the ship I'm sailng on wasn't listed. It will be my 1st time in Italy. Person I communicated with said I'd be back at 4pm if bus leaves at 3 (thought ride was 1 1/2 hours).From what I've read will need shuttle back to ship, want to make sure I'll have plenty of time. I'm used to all onboard 30 minutes prior not 1 hour.

Thanks everyone for all the information/help. I did notuce special departures, however, the ship I'm sailng on wasn't listed. It will be my 1st time in Italy. Person I communicated with said I'd be back at 4pm if bus leaves at 3 (thought ride was 1 1/2 hours).From what I've read will need shuttle back to ship, want to make sure I'll have plenty of time. I'm used to all onboard 30 minutes prior not 1 hour.

According to the port schedule, your ship does not sail until 19.00!

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/sites/default/files/file_uploads/programma_crociere_porto_di_civitavecchia_-_2018_1516621286.pdf

Edited by marylizcat
Add link

Interesting. According to MSC app and website its 8 to 6.

I don't think they can list every ship. However MSC (an Italian line) is known for short port days and tour operators are very familiar with them. And if the port schedules are right, you may have a later departure at 7.

Just verify directly with both MSC and the tour operator.

BTW- in Europe, especially in big cities, you should make it a habit of aiming to board 1 hour ahead of time, not 30 minutes, unless you are within walking distance of the ship.

Edited by marazul

I don't think they can list every ship. However MSC (an Italian line) is known for short port days and tour operators are very familiar with them. And if the port schedules are right, you may have a later departure at 7.

Just verify directly with both MSC and the tour operator.

BTW- in Europe, especially in big cities, you should make it a habit of aiming to board 1 hour ahead of time, not 30 minutes, unless you are within walking distance of the ship.

Thanks! This will be my 1st European cruise. I emailed the company a few questions, they responded with trip not confirmed need to purchase ticket. They didn't answer if there is a minimum required for tour to operate.

Also, asked about the additional fee for Basilica/Vatican. Confused if general entry or to advance in line. Sounded like may not be an option for Sunday's. I'm hoping I can do something else nearby during that time

Thanks! This will be my 1st European cruise. I emailed the company a few questions, they responded with trip not confirmed need to purchase ticket. They didn't answer if there is a minimum required for tour to operate.

Also, asked about the additional fee for Basilica/Vatican. Confused if general entry or to advance in line. Sounded like may not be an option for Sunday's. I'm hoping I can do something else nearby during that time

Are you really going to be able to see much of Rome with this tour? I'm concerned that Rome has so much to offer and this tour really isn't optimal.

Sundays at the Vatican museum are free; lines are horrendous, there are no 'timed' tickets on those days.

Are you really going to be able to see much of Rome with this tour? I'm concerned that Rome has so much to offer and this tour really isn't optimal.

Sundays at the Vatican museum are free; lines are horrendous, there are no 'timed' tickets on those days.

Thank you! I was told the itinerary wouldn't change, just shorter time at stops and less free time. The sites that are must see for me is the Trevi fountain and the Collesium. I would be fine not seeing the Vatican. I'm not detailed oriented so could see lots in a short time. My preference is to go on my own but not confident with train and how to get around.

Have you used this company and/or done this tour?

I’m in Rome right now and have been for a week. If I were you I’d take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome and get off at the main Termini station. The train costs about 15 euro one way and can be paid for with a credit card.

Buy colosseum tickets online ahead of time for a timed entry as general lines are LONG and frustrating. Even buying online you then have to go to a ticket window to show your reservation and get an actual ticket from them. Again, frustrating and annoying. I booked an underground tour of the colosseum and it was way easier to get my ticket and get in that way. It cost very little and the guided tour was great and lasted just over an hour. The tour also included the regular part of the colosseum too. The ticket also lets you visit the Forum across the street. If you have spare time.

Take a white metered taxi from Termini to the Colosseum to match your timed ticket entry but get there at least 30 minutes before that so you can figure out which line you need to be in. Plan to be there at least 2 hours all in.

Then take another taxi to Trevi Fountain. It’s about a 40 minute walk with a good GPS on your phone from the Colosseum if you have the time to walk. Which you don’t.

Take a taxi back to Termini and then train back to Civitavecchia . The express

Train takes 40 minutes. If there are local trains they might take up to an hour. All trains to/from Rome leave often all day long.

Now that I’ve said all this, I think you’re cheating yourself of seeing Rome by trying to rush there, subjecting yourself to all that stress etc. maybe a ship tour just driving through the city would be better for this first time??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Further to my post, you can look up the train schedules online before you go so you can try to plot your day out.

The trip is doable, but stressful. Worst case scenario the trains are not running due to a strike or other problems and you’d have to then hire a taxi to take you to/from. Then you’re paying big bucks. Keep contingency plans in mind.

Also watch out for pickpockets at and around the train station. Truth.

I love Rome. It’s an amazing city. I’ve seen a ton in my week here.

Thank you! I was told the itinerary wouldn't change, just shorter time at stops and less free time. The sites that are must see for me is the Trevi fountain and the Collesium. I would be fine not seeing the Vatican. I'm not detailed oriented so could see lots in a short time. My preference is to go on my own but not confident with train and how to get around.

Have you used this company and/or done this tour?

I haven't used them; I navigate around on my own in Rome. I know it well, but it's not too difficult -- really.

Does your ship not offer a "transportation only" option? That might at least give you the comfort of getting to Rome and then back to your ship without the transportation hassles... If they do, we can give you directions on getting to the Colosseum and Trevi the best way, based on your dropoff/pickup point.

Colosseum to Trevi is far less than a 40 minute walk. More like 20 minutes, confirmed by Google Maps.

Yes. But traffic and street crossings and taking wrong turns here and there can add a few minutes more. I always build in a little extra time to compensate.